sysadmin drink recipes

Mate "cocido" (with milk) with tilo tea and nutmeg?
Are you "Yorugua" or "Gaúcho"?

Anyhow, that's a new one even for me, living in Buenos Aires and drinking mate and/or mate cocido on a daily basis !!

I'd have to go with Wild Turkey straight no chaser. If it hot out maybe a little ice.

But for a recipe, here's something I came up with once when you really need a kick, I call it
Satan's Vengeance:
3 Shots of Wild Turkey
2 Shots of Bacardi 151 Rum
1/2 Shot of Everclear Grain Alcohol
Splash of Coke.
Stir
Drink.​

roddierod said:
I'd have to go with Wild Turkey straight no chaser. If it hot out maybe a little ice.

But for a recipe, here's something I came up with once when you really need a kick, I call it
Satan's Vengeance:
3 Shots of Wild Turkey
2 Shots of Bacardi 151 Rum
1/2 Shot of Everclear Grain Alcohol
Splash of Coke.
Stir
Drink.​

Ah! a light, summer drink. Make mine a double, barkeep.

gnemmi said:
Mate "cocido" (with milk) with tilo tea and nutmeg?
Are you "Yorugua" or "Gaúcho"?

Anyhow, that's a new one even for me, living in Buenos Aires and drinking mate and/or mate cocido on a daily basis !!

Brazilian+Paraguayan on my mother's side.
Picked up the habit from them. I like the taste but the bitterness was too much.
This way, I can enjoy the mate. I'm out of the good stuff so I have to settle for cruz de malta for now.
The only time I have it near pure is when I have the occassional chimarrão and that' with a touch of honey and a touch of cream.
You don't want to overdo the nutmeg and tilo. It can ruin the taste.

Hot mate with milk or is it cold?

It's awesome ... we call it "mate cocido" over here and usually have it at breakfast (just like you may have a cup of coffe or tea) or at 5 or 6 in the afternoon ....

There's two ways to do it though and they have different names:

"Mate de leche"
Just prepare a usual "Mate" but use boiled milk instead of hot water.

"Mate cocido"
Get "Mate" herb and use it as you usually use tea .. but instead of water, use boiling milk ...

Enjoy :)

If you'd like cold drinks then there is "Tereré" .. which is your usual "Mate" but with really cold water and a lemon or orange juice (to taste) insted of hot water... peronally I don't like it that much as I'm use to drink regular "Mate" (hot water, no sugar) .. but as usual YMMV. :)

Myself and my two sisters do laugh hysterically at that one children's cough syrup commercial with the big bold letters on the bottoms, "DO NOT USE TO MAKE CHILD DROWSY." There are some TERRIBLE parents out there.

I read an article about a babysitter who tried this. She kept giving another teaspoon every 30 min but the child would not go to sleep. It turns out that not all children react the same way, some children become hyper while others get sleepy.

vermaden said:
Vodka with Red Bull
Tried that once and it made my face go unpleasantly tingly. I also don't recommend Pernod. It's unmitigated evil.

I prefer to drink water from as large a glass as possible, so I don't have to keep refilling it. Or Carlton Draught. If any of you have kids, you will know that the recipes for some of the cocktails listed here double as recipes for an extremely unpleasant next day.

carlton_draught said:
Tried that once and it made my face go unpleasantly tingly.

Err, you know that's the entire reason I drink.

(to make your face go unpleasantly tingly, I think (I've had a few, sorry))

To be honest, I have a pretty nauseating sensitivity to those mega-doses of B-vitamins, so I just avoid red bull and all its analogues.

fronclynne said:
To be honest, I have a pretty nauseating sensitivity to those mega-doses of B-vitamins, so I just avoid red bull and all its analogues.
I thought it was the mega-doses of caffeine that were the issue. On a related note, I think that's why they call rum and coke "the fighting drink" - the caffeine makes people aggressive and the alcohol loosens the inhibitions. Suspect it would be worse with more caffeine, e.g. an "energy" drink.

carlton_draught said:
I thought it was the mega-doses of caffeine that were the issue. On a related note, I think that's why they call rum and coke "the fighting drink" - the caffeine makes people aggressive and the alcohol loosens the inhibitions. Suspect it would be worse with more caffeine, e.g. an "energy" drink.

Well, I learnt about the B-vitamin thing when Power-Ade changed their recipe to include massive amount of B-6 and B-12: I got horribly sick after drinking some and happened to look at the "nutritional information". And I suddenly realised the common thread in a good number of previous nausea incidents.

Though 14 shots of espresso in 5 minutes was a rather eye-opening exercise, as well.

fronclynne said:
Well, I learnt about the B-vitamin thing when Power-Ade changed their recipe to include massive amount of B-6 and B-12: I got horribly sick after drinking some and happened to look at the "nutritional information". And I suddenly realised the common thread in a good number of previous nausea incidents.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Whenever I need a sports drink (e.g. competitive athletic endeavours) I make my own. Buy a bag of dextrose from the brewer's section of your supermarket (in water it becomes glucose) for all of $2/kg or so. Mix to taste with water (I think it's something like 6 tablespoons in 2 litres? I forget), add in a big pinch of lite salt (potassium chloride) and a small pinch of regular salt. Basically identical active ingredients to Powerade bar the B vitamins. Cost: 10-20c compared to 10-30 times that for Powerade. OTOH you forgo the Powerade experience (TM). And people think that you are doping because they see a bag of white powder, lol (you can always mix it at home though).

Though 14 shots of espresso in 5 minutes was a rather eye-opening exercise, as well.
I'm surprised you still have a heart left.

carlton_draught said:
Whenever I need a sports drink (e.g. competitive athletic endeavours) I make my own. Buy a bag of dextrose from the brewer's section of your supermarket (in water it becomes glucose) for all of $2/kg or so. Mix to taste with water (I think it's something like 6 tablespoons in 2 litres? I forget), add in a big pinch of lite salt (potassium chloride) and a small pinch of regular salt. Basically identical active ingredients to Powerade bar the B vitamins. Cost: 10-20c compared to 10-30 times that for Powerade. OTOH you forgo the Powerade experience (TM). And people think that you are doping because they see a bag of white powder, lol (you can always mix it at home though).

Water, followed by beer, followed by V-8 or tomato juice if I need a sports drink*. Otherwise I drink strictly water, coffee, gin, amaretto, orange juice, & beer (though not all at once).

*obviously I don't participate in the sorts of events that make you piss in a cup, cos I would be on suspension after one event for potentially fatal levels of alcohol and caffeine.

Drinks for Sys Admins...?

The BOFH special:

Grab a Monster BFC
Grab some strong, heavy, thick Coffee
Grab some Jolt Cola

Drink in order. (If you are one of the few Computer Geeks without a tolerance to Caffeine, that MIGHT kill you. But sitting in front of a monitor for years on end isn't doing your health any good anyway so drink slower lol).

For Alcohol -

I am incredibly picky... Cognac, some Brandy or Bourbon is OK (Given that Cognac is technically one of those from a certain area of France anyway) and once in a while, Beer. Such as Hacker-Pschorr. Hacker-Pschorr Weiz is my current favorite. German Beer in general, sometimes Canadian.

7:00am to watch Korea take on the floppy handballers (I mean Argentina): two-fisting with coffee & miller high-life. & wow what a wobbly feeling that is.

If im coding or working on a computer the only alcoholic drink I will have is wine!

However when out, a favorite shot is liquid cocaine:

1 shot of black sambuca
1 shot of black aftershock
1 shot of black tequila

That shit is nasty.

Back