synth updated today unmantained?

does it say this:
Code:
Installing synth-1.68...
===>   NOTICE:

The synth port currently does not have a maintainer

what happened to synth? its unmantained?

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
Code:
Author: benno
Date: Fri Feb 10 23:44:41 2017 UTC (43 hours, 10 minutes ago)
Changed paths: 1
Log Message:
Remove marino.

Their behaviour towards their fellow contributors has repeatedly fallen short
of what the Project expects of its members. They were given multiple warnings
that their interactions with other contributors needed to improve and
unfortunately they did not.

Approved by:     portmgr

Anybody able to give us mere mortal some more info about what happened ?

A baseline of respect for other developers is essential. Maintaining an environment where people are not judged by origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or political views is good for the community and its members. Here is my bikeshed comment on Benno's message. From a practical point of view, using the plural to avoid gender labels leaves something to be desired. English is ambiguous enough. We are smart people. We can do better.

Shut up and hack.

Don't believe what you read.
It's true that I was warned a few months ago, but it's not true that I continued the behavior.
If you ask for evidence of continued bad behavior, you won't get it.
You'll get "trust us", "we know more than you do", "it's in the past", but nobody is going to show you an example supporting this action because it doesn't exist.

I was as surprised as you guys are.

perhaps ASX can volunteer to maintain the port.
Thanks ... but if they are not going to restore your committer status very soon, I will move out of FreeBSD entirely.

It seems to me they are shooting themselves in their feet, therefore if that is what they want, let be it.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I wouldn't want anyone to do anything on my account.
Given the current portmgr membership, there's a 0.0001% chance I'm getting my commit bit back.
I'm not that upset about this. I had already designed a next-gen universal package system (kind of cross between synth and pkgsrc, but more portable between platforms and 10,000 more performant). It would support the long missing subpackages, flavors, and multiversion that ports never had. Now I have motivation to realize that system.

Have a UPS that builds identically on solaris, linux, *BSD, macos, etc, would be useful to folks I think.

ElijahMann@, I understood that. It wasn't some diversity thing, btw. The original warning came after I responded to somebody harshly on a mail list PR (maybe he cried?). Others that I had rubbed the wrong way earlier (likely because they took it the wrong way) had been waiting for me to misstep and so that was strike one.

I'm clueless as to what strike 2 is.

perhaps ASX can volunteer to maintain the port.
Apparently this reply needs clarification.
I can keep on making new synth releases on github, but I can't update the ports-mgmt/synth makefile and distinfo to make those new releases available to ports. Normally it's a single line change (the version) followed by make makesum to regenerate distinfo.

Just about anyone is capable of that.

Benno, as a (contributing) FreeBSD community member, I kindly and respectfully ask that you disclose the details of specific incidents since the warning was issued that resulted in the decision to remove marino@'s commit bit. Was it core's decision alone?

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
ElijahMann@ as far as I understood, Benno was just acting as a secretary, implementing the decision of others. The way it was worded, the "core" didn't vote, but rather it was a directive from portmgr.

I've requested the same information and should be given it in a couple of days, but it sounds like this was mostly subjective (in other words, there's no specific incident to hold up as proof of continued bad behavior).

Given the current portmgr membership, there's a 0.0001% chance I'm getting my commit bit back.
Remain to be seen.

I'm not that upset about this. I had already designed a next-gen universal package system (kind of cross between synth and pkgsrc, but more portable between platforms and 10,000 more performant). It would support the long missing subpackages, flavors, and multiversion that ports never had. Now I have motivation to realize that system.

Have a UPS that builds identically on solaris, linux, *BSD, macos, etc, would be useful to folks I think.

Sound great, but please don't name it "UPS", I can't imagine people googling that name. :p

On the one hand, I am happy to see a potentially vital piece of FreeBSD infrastructure written in Fing Ada and requiring GCC to go away and be replaced by something that isn't a vanity project for its creator.

On the other, I pray this isn't more creeping SJW/Code of Conduct garbage taking hold and some snowflake's feefees got hurt.

With incidents like this you'll always be hearing one sided stories, no matter who you ask. But to be honest I can't say that this comes as a surprise to me, solely based on what I read throughout when I briefly tested Synth for myself. Once you start announcing how you're superior to everything else no matter what then - in my opinion - something definitely isn't right.

And of course we now hear that this decision is bad and that no one did anything wrong, etc, etc. Every time someone gets some kind of punishment then only a minority lives up to it and picks up the pieces. Most will deny it, followed by other outings and I dunno what's next because I usually stopped caring by then.

Note: I'm not judging here, I'm only commenting on things which I recognize because I've seen issues like these happen a lot (not necessarily within the FreeBSD community).

Back