switch from ports to packages

I had these as fail points on each machine I have updated:

Code:
pkg: gegl has a missing dependency: ilmbase
pkg: itstool has a missing dependency: py37-libxml2
pkg: gimp-app has a missing dependency: ilmbase
pkg: libinput has a missing dependency: py37-pyudev

Once I worked that out by minimally installing through pkg to where portmaster could take over again, I turned it loose.

I don't edit anything by text and if that's what portmaster wants, that's what it gets. It works for me as trusted to do things right, so I don't tell it how to do the job. That's being a horrible boss.

I work it out from the command line to fix what stopped portmaster to begin with, then let it go at it.
Providing Support as needed, like I was taught in Management seminars my boss sent me to. ;)

FWIW, # make config-recursive makes a huge difference to portmaster! I'm still trying to figure out how to properly generate a dump that accurately shows the difference - comm(1) actually looks promising.

make.conf has nothing to do with packages.

I suggest you stop mucking with the compiler settings and just let the system figure it out.

Have you ever ran pkg autoremove?
I never press "yes" for autoremove because there are many apps which I am using, for example scribus-devel, some py38-xxx, nmap, libosmesa...and more.

You can mark packages you don't want to be removed as manually installed: pkg set -A 0 yourpackage
... and then enjoy pkg autoremove

Use portmaster -I portname for interactive mode.

It will list all the dependencies as usual and give you the opportunity to install or not install each program listed before starting the build.

I did and it looks okay but llvm11 and 12 missing libncursesw.so.9
Installing livm11 and livm12 how I would solve that. With pkg.

Use portmaster -I portname for interactive mode.

It will list all the dependencies as usual and give you the opportunity to install or not install each program listed before starting the build.

Installing livm11 and livm12 how I would solve that. With pkg.
Packages are realy fast. Delete and reinstall llvm11 and 12 was less than 5 minutes :)

I use ports, because I don't like the minimal defaults provided by packages. I guess my concern would be for dependency registration... For example, I havedatabases/akonadi compiled to use databases/sqlite3. Great results on my machine. I know that the default version of Akonadi from pkg repos will pull in MySQL from packages. Totally different deps. My concern is that this dependency difference will bring about unpredictable results. Any ideas on what can be done to ameliorate the fallout?
I agree and apps which I use are built whith options which packages don't have and when I run pkg upgrade it wants to reinstall because options are changed.

I agree and apps which I use are built whith options which packages don't have and when I run pkg upgrade it wants to reinstall because options are changed.
Well, fernandel, hanging around FreeBSD forums gave me the idea that I should try Poudriere, and use ports. After reading the manuals, I realized it's gonna take some time and effort to set it up to work the way I want, and will make for a fun project. Reading your posts has me thinking that the same thing just might work for you, too...

hanging around FreeBSD forums gave me the idea that I should try Poudriere, and use ports. After reading the manuals, I realized it's gonna take some time and effort to set it up to work the way I want, and will make for a fun project. Reading your posts has me thinking that the same thing just might work for you, too...
I took the time and effort and I didn't enjoy the experience and scuttled back to portsnap and portmaster. I'll have to give it another go one day.

I took the time and effort and I didn't enjoy the experience and scuttled back to portsnap and portmaster. I'll have to give it another go one day.
I guess I'll have to see for myself if I can be more stubborn than that in making it work for me. Right now, for me, my challenge is finding the time to do it, and taking enough notes so that I can do a part, drop it, and come back without having to put in too much effort just getting back on track.

Well, fernandel, hanging around FreeBSD forums gave me the idea that I should try Poudriere, and use ports. After reading the manuals, I realized it's gonna take some time and effort to set it up to work the way I want, and will make for a fun project. Reading your posts has me thinking that the same thing just might work for you, too...
Longer time ago I was ports-mgmt/synth user and it worked for me very good. But I have single desktop computer and now is the 'single desktop" computer Thinkpad T498 and I do not want to use ports on the laptop Poudriere or Synth build a lot of ports all the time when you update the system. Packages are very fast and laptop is not under stress anymore. I do not like just because packages have default settings and I cannot do anything except build from ports which I did in case of textproc/enchant.

portsnap good. Change bad.

Change anyway.

Nature's Way Survival of the Fittest.

Back