Support for Marvell® AQC113CS-B1-C 10Gbps LAN

I have the MSI Meg X670E Ace. Neither the wifi(Not supported on Linux either) or Ethernet work. The controller it uses is AQC113, which is supported on Linux. However appears to be closed source. Are there any plans of development on getting it to work natively?

There is net/aquantia-atlantic-kmod, and it worked for 10Gbps Aquantia NIC (rebranded as Marvell now) on Gigabyte Z590 Master, but it seems to be older AQC107 chip; so the port may or not work for you.

EDIT: Meh, https://github.com/Aquantia/aqtion-freebsd/issues/24:
Code:
Your device is AQC113 based - its a next generation chip, and its not driver-level compatible with AQC107 family.

Unfortunately this is not supported in freebsd driver. To my knowledge, there will be no official extension of freebsd drivers for this chip. Linux driver although, has all the support in there.

EDIT2: Now thinking more about this, half of the reason for LinuxKPI was porting some network driver(s), so it should not be impossible, someone (tm) just needs to do the work :D

Yeah, but if the Linux driver is not even open source and hence not in the official kernel chances are slim.

not even open source

I don't know why OP says it's closed source.

Also (from that repository):
Code:
Notice this is an experimental software. For stable driver version please either visit http://www.aquantia.com or take the driver bundled with your linux kernel.

So I guess (not having a linux install to check) it's shipped in linux itself?

There is net/aquantia-atlantic-kmod, and it worked for 10Gbps Aquantia NIC (rebranded as Marvell now) on Gigabyte Z590 Master, but it seems to be older AQC107 chip; so the port may or not work for you.

EDIT: Meh, https://github.com/Aquantia/aqtion-freebsd/issues/24:
Code:
Your device is AQC113 based - its a next generation chip, and its not driver-level compatible with AQC107 family.

Unfortunately this is not supported in freebsd driver. To my knowledge, there will be no official extension of freebsd drivers for this chip. Linux driver although, has all the support in there.

EDIT2: Now thinking more about this, half of the reason for LinuxKPI was porting some network driver(s), so it should not be impossible, someone (tm) just needs to do the work :D
Yeah unfortunately it doesn't work. After installing the driver there still isn't an interface showing in ifconfig. it does exist in pciconf.

Code:
none2@pci0:5:0:0:   class=0x020000 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x1d6a device=0x94c0 subvendor=0x1462 subdevice=0x7d69                         
    vendor     = 'Aquantia Corp.'                                                                                                           
    device     = 'AQC113CS NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion]'                                                               
    class      = network                                                                                                                   
    subclass   = ethernet                                                                                                                   
    bar   [10] = type Memory, range 64, base 0xfc100000, size 524288, enabled                                                               
    bar   [18] = type Memory, range 64, base 0xfc180000, size 4096, enabled                                                                 
    bar   [20] = type Memory, range 64, base 0xfbc00000, size 4194304, enabled                                                             
    cap 01[40] = powerspec 3  supports D0 D1 D2 D3  current D0                                                                             
    cap 05[50] = MSI supports 32 messages, 64 bit, vector masks                                                                             
    cap 10[70] = PCI-Express 2 endpoint max data 128(512) FLR RO NS                                                                         
                 max read 512                                                                                                               
                 link x2(x2) speed 8.0(16.0) ClockPM disabled                                                                               
    cap 11[b0] = MSI-X supports 32 messages                                                                                                 
                 Table in map 0x18[0x0], PBA in map 0x18[0x200]                                                                             
    ecap 0001[100] = AER 2 0 fatal 0 non-fatal 0 corrected                                                                                 
    ecap 0002[148] = VC 1 max VC0                                                                                                           
    ecap 0003[168] = Serial 1 0000000000000000                                                                                             
    ecap 0019[178] = PCIe Sec 1 lane errors 0                                                                                               
    ecap 0026[198] = Physical Layer 16.0 GT/s 1                                                                                             
    ecap 0027[1bc] = Lane Margining at Receiver 1                                                                                           
    ecap 0018[1d4] = LTR 1                                                                                                                 
    ecap 001e[1dc] = L1 PM Substates 1                                                                                                     
    ecap 000b[1ec] = Vendor [1] ID 0002 Rev 4 Length 256                                                                                   
    ecap 0025[2ec] = Data Link Feature 1                                                                                                   
    ecap 001f[2f8] = Precision Time Measurement 1                                                                                           
    ecap 000b[304] = Vendor [1] ID 0003 Rev 1 Length 84

I don't know why OP says it's closed source.

Also (from that repository):
Code:
Notice this is an experimental software. For stable driver version please either visit http://www.aquantia.com or take the driver bundled with your linux kernel.

So I guess (not having a linux install to check) it's shipped in linux itself?
My bad. It is under an open-source licence (GPL 2.0) in the aq_common.h header. Got confused because the license in the readme on the top-level directory didn't mention it. Also it seems to be an experimental driver and not the stable one, which is part of the linux kernel.

Folks, might this not be an opportunity to further develop net/wifibox to provide integration of AQC113 ?
It uses an Alpine Linux VM which may already have support for this device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, might this not be an opportunity to further develop net/wifibox to provide integration of AQC113 ?
It uses an Alpine Linux VM which may already have support for this device.
Is it not only designed for Wireless NIC(s)?
The github doesn't seem to mention any support for ethernet or LAN on the matter.

I've noticed that NetBSD & OpenBSD support the AQC113 driver:
I know FreeBSD and NetBSD have diverged but share the same root. How different or difficult would it be to port over the NetBSD aq driver to FreeBSD?

Back