Suggestion for ports on FreeBSD

I think my environment still clear because one of parameter I pass is -d (always clean distfiles)...

All that does is delete the distfiles, which means Portmaster will have to download them again and again and again and again. It doesn't create a "clean" environment. An environment is "clean" when it's free of customizations or system processes that could interfere with the build. The point is to eliminate as many variables as possible so that when a port fails to build into a package, you can be fairly certain it was because the port itself was broken, rather than the running system interfering with the build in some way. Poudriere and Synth use clean environments for their builds.

A "clean environment" is defined as a system with zero packages installed at the point when a port build is launched plus what ANOKNUSA above wrote, the base system without any customizations in other words at a state a freshly installed system would be just after installation and after the first boot up. You can't get this kind of environment with portmaster or portupgrade for building ports because all of the installed packages aren't going to go away magically while the port build is proceeding.

In my humble opinion there is a direct relationship between preparation and due diligence with outcome and success. Go in like a cowboy with guns firing and yer bound to get a bullet in the arm. Be like a true professional, research, plan (and test where possible) every step and the possibility of getting green lights all the way greatly increases.

Side note sorta related to the discussion: Its summer time here in Canada so I've been online a lot less.....doing a lot more sports fishing. This year I have been spending a lot more time studying what we know about smallmouth bass, and studying my data I have been recording. Guess what? Pretty sure my strike rate is higher. Will know better after the season concludes. My point is the same: you have to invest in success to get success.

Most causes of portmaster problems are when people use -a as a magic wand, and have avoided reading /usr/ports/UPDATING.

In fairness to them, a magic Update button is what they want. But none of the things mentioned in this thread do that.

Back