Steamuxulation redux

Folks, it would be very useful if you give 12.2-BETA2 a try. There's been some fixes to Linuxulator, and while most of it was focused on functionality unrelated to Steam (yet!), it would be useful to see if I didn't break anything by mistake. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Indeed. Although I do intend to keep all obsolete workarounds through 12.1 -> 12.2 transition, then they will be dropped.

Issues starting Steam on Freebsd 12.1 RELEASE , I am running the proprietary nvidia driver.

Code:
# Device    Mountpoint    FStype    Options    Dump    Pass#
/dev/ada0s1a    /        ufs    rw    1    1
/dev/ada0s1b    none        swap    sw    0    0

linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc    linprocfs    rw    0    0
linsysfs    /compat/linux/sys    linsysfs    rw    0    0
tmpfs    /compat/linux/dev/shm    tmpfs    rw,mode=1777    0    0
fdesc   /dev/fd fdescfs rw      0       0

linux and linux64 modules are loaded.

Code:
]$ steam
ERROR: ld.so: object 'steamfix.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
/usr/local/steam-utils/bin/../lxbin/patch-steam.rb: /home/june/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/chromehtml.so not found, nothing to patch
/usr/local/steam-utils/bin/../lxbin/patch-steam.rb: /home/june/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_64/steamwebhelper not found, nothing to patch
/usr/local/steam-utils/bin/../lxbin/patch-steam.rb: /home/june/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_64/steamwebhelper.sh not found, nothing to patch
ERROR: ld.so: object 'steamfix.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
[2020-09-29 04:06:20] Startup - updater built Apr  9 2019 22:48:20
ILocalize::AddFile(
chmod 0444 /dev/devstat

) failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occ
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

It just hangs there.

EDIT: this seems to be a symptom of a bigger more serious problem with the nvidia driver.
Going to make another thread

Can someone try runescape 3 when it comes out for steam?

It has had a native linux client for ubuntu for a long time and is coming to steam soon, if it's not already out.

Hello,

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is free right now and it works on FreeBSD with fmod fix! The game comes with the Sega Megadrive emulator; you launch Sonic from there. So even though it's emulated, the whole package as delivered through Steam works well. I assume all other games that work with Sega Megadrive will work too, but this is the only one I tried since it's the only one that's free. It does crash steam on exit however (at least for me).

Enjoy!

This is cool, thanks! Just tried this; I get the Colossal Order splash screen for a few seconds and then the game crashes out. Here is the error from Player.log

Code:
Native stacktrace:

/home/scratchi/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so(+0x91f55) [0x82da91f55]
        [0x7ffffffff513]

Debug info from gdb:

=================================================================
Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.

I've attached the full Unity Player.log . Any ideas anyone? Yes, I'm using NVS5400M with old 390.182 nvidia blobs. Does Skylines require Vulkan drivers?

Thank you

So after installing latest OS updates, Cities Skylines is working now!
Race The Sun is also working! Another Unity game :)

I tried a few other Unity titles I was having issues with but they're still not working out for me.

Hello! I was wondering if Dota 2 works. I guess VAC doesn't really work, from my understanding of the github page, but maybe someone got it to work under proton? It really is the only thing that's keeping me on linux.

VAC is largely untested. We know that Counter-Strike: Global Offensive doesn't work, because Steam blatantly crashes with that game in multiplayer. Everything else is a mystery. I actually didn't personally see any issues elsewhere, but since it's a thing that can potentially get you banned (and very difficult to comprehensively test), I'd rather not advertise VAC as working just yet.

Hello! I was wondering if Dota 2 works. I guess VAC doesn't really work, from my understanding of the github page, but maybe someone got it to work under proton? It really is the only thing that's keeping me on linux.
Dota 2 launch, and I can run a solo training with bot without major issue
There is just some stutter that maybe due to unimplemented ioctl
Code:
(MachineIDInfoTh): ioctl fd=207, cmd=0x8946
However you will not able to enter multiplayer games

What exactly is the issue?
Hi Alex, I tried to run X4 (no proton is needed as it has linux client), which runs under Vulkan only.
The below error was received. So I am thinking if this is caused by running native linux game with Vulkan.

[=ERROR=] 0.00 FATAL ERROR (version 3.30 - Code revision: 414400): A fatal error has occurred and X cannot recover:
Vulkan::CreateMemoryHeaps() Couldn't allocate heap 9
Version: 3.30 - Code revision: 414400

Please inform EGOSOFT GmbH technical support.

The below error was received. So I am thinking if this is caused by running native linux game with Vulkan.

[=ERROR=] 0.00 FATAL ERROR (version 3.30 - Code revision: 414400): A fatal error has occurred and X cannot recover:
Vulkan::CreateMemoryHeaps() Couldn't allocate heap 9
Version: 3.30 - Code revision: 414400
Apparently, the game won't run with 2 GB VRAM: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=404958#p4779896. Nothing to do with the GPU driver.

As my card has 4GB memory, I just tried again. Its strange that the game suddenly works 😅.
Your Proton screenshots featured GT 1030, which only comes with 2 GB VRAM. In any case, if you are using Firefox, make sure to terminate it before starting resource-intensive games.

Your Proton screenshots featured GT 1030, which only comes with 2 GB VRAM. In any case, if you are using Firefox, make sure to terminate it before starting resource-intensive games.
I just checked again. You are right, it has 2GB only. Thanks!

Can someone test cs 1.6 on multiplayer please?
VAC does nothing on cs 1.6 so I am wodnering if it will work.

If you've played before, a russian probably overwrote your master server list. In which case, here is another:
goes here Steam/steamapps/common/Half-Life/platform/config/ServerBrowser.vdf

If you've played before, a russian probably overwrote your master server list.
FYI, this forum is also thoroughly infiltrated by Russians.

In which case, here is another:
goes here Steam/steamapps/common/Half-Life/platform/config/ServerBrowser.vdf
There is no way in hell Hetzner and Leaseweb host any official CS servers. Valve has their own public IP ranges (155.133.224.0 - 155.133.255.255, 208.64.200.0 - 208.64.203.255, etc.).

Sorry, I got that from youtube. It was working for me, but I have no original to compare it to.
I get to see a large range of servers in all countries when using them, though.

Last edited:
Hi there! Updated my system to 12.2 a few days ago and wanted to try a complete new installation of linux-steam-client as package this time. First of all, I created a new account (steam3) and then as user in the new account, following the instructions, I did "steam-install" and "steam", but I got the following error (please see screenshot):

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-12-06 11-36-11.png
    Screenshot from 2020-12-06 11-36-11.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 259
Back