/dev/ada0s1a    /        ufs    rw    1    1
proc    /proc        procfs    rw    0    0
linproc    /compat/linux/proc        linprocfs    rw    0    0
/dev/ada1p1    /Disk2        ufs    rw    2    2
fdesc    /dev/fd        fdescfs        rw    0    0
$

I have no entry regarding /dev/shm.

I have no entry regarding /dev/shm.

Well, you really ought to. That's a part of normal Linuxulator setup, right along with linprocfs and linsysfs:
Code:
% pkg info -D linux_base-c7
linux_base-c7-7.7.1908_1:
On install:
Some programs need linprocfs mounted on /compat/linux/proc.  Add the
following line to /etc/fstab:

linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc    linprocfs    rw    0    0

Then run "mount /compat/linux/proc".

Some programs need linsysfs mounted on /compat/linux/sys.  Add the

linsysfs    /compat/linux/sys    linsysfs    rw    0    0

Then run "mount /compat/linux/sys".

Some programs need tmpfs mounted on /compat/linux/dev/shm.  Add the

tmpfs    /compat/linux/dev/shm    tmpfs    rw,mode=1777    0    0

Then run "mount /compat/linux/dev/shm".

HL2 works now, thanks! But it hangs showing the last frame when quitting the game. TF2 still crashes when connecting to a multiplayer map, though. I also realized that steam now works without the "-tcp" flag, which is good. But why is that now?

HL2 works now, thanks! But it hangs showing the last frame when quitting the game.

Yes, old Source engine games tend to hang on exit.

TF2 still crashes when connecting to a multiplayer map, though.

Still under investigation.

I also realized that steam now works without the "-tcp" flag, which is good. But why is that now?

I found that in my previous attempt to get Steam working I manually symlinked a file and promptly forgot about it. This is now fixed:
Code:
  // Point Steam to a proper root certificate bundle
  if (strcmp(path, "/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt") == 0) {
    return "/etc/ssl/cert.pem";
  }

The -tcp flag never was necessary. There is apparently some kind of fallback, which is engaged on a 3rd or 4th login attempt. (Does Steam simply disable certificate validation there? If so, that's a really stupid idea.)

does not work for me.

linuxulator-steam-utils $ /opt/steam-utils/bin/steam
Traceback (most recent call last):
/opt/steam-utils/bin/steam:45:in `<main>': unhandled exception

does not work for me.

linuxulator-steam-utils $ /opt/steam-utils/bin/steam
Traceback (most recent call last):
/opt/steam-utils/bin/steam:45:in `<main>': unhandled exception

That's what you get when you skip build & install instructions. I can't think of any non-condescending message for this assertion check, so it's left without one.

Added error messages to these checks after some consideration. At least they are more stable than line numbers.

By the way, forgiven_noob, since you also submitted an issue on GitHub… I had a look at your activity and you have a peculiar habit of leaving vague "shit's broken" reports and then completely ignoring follow-up questions. That's kind of rude.

It's getting awfully boring there. Here is a not-so-random fact: Steam's browser, fully usable in Big Picture mode, actually supports that pesky Widevine DRM. (Performance is absolutely terrible, though.)

It's getting awfully boring there. Here is a not-so-random fact: Steam's browser, fully usable in Big Picture mode, actually supports that pesky Widevine DRM. (Performance is absolutely terrible, though.)

I know it's quite off-topic, but if Widevine DRM works inside the steam on freebsd, this means that could open doors to other things.

The most helpful thing you can do right now is to test the port and/or report which Steam features work for you. I'm not really interested in pull requests, although I do appreciate them, of course.

Curiously enough, in the last two weeks the repo has been cloned 5 times according to the GitHub stats. (Zip/tarball downloads are not tracked.) Still no feedback on the port. Fun.

lsu-traffic-fs8.png

:-/ Again, not a single comment. Either it works very well or it doesn't work at all…

Apparently, wine64 from Proton works just fine under Linuxulator (that is, a Linux Wine binary; although performance is a bit suspicious), while wine doesn't. Presumably wine is only a couple of bugs away from usable state. Should I waste my time trying to debug it?

I still haven't been able to test this due to a lot of unforeseen personal issues, but once I can I surely will test whatever I can.
Have you also tested proton with the native wine? I'd assume this should work better than the linux emulated one?
Edit: never mind, I just remembered I asked this once before and it's just not possible.

Back