"Something has gone wrong" with Gnome3

Hi, all

I used FreeBSD v10.2 and the WM is Gnome3
I had the same problem with Ati and Nvidia VGA cards.

After I logged in GDM, my gnome-shell(1) showed "Something has gone wrong."
55hbxTq.jpg

I tried to check the EE in Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old; however, nothing in these two files.
P79SiU7.jpg

If I clicked ALT+F1, I could see the gnome-shell.
pWVRJ5H.jpg

Does anyone have any idea for this problem?

Thanks for help.
F.V.

I don't use GDM. I have, but don't like it. But seems to me, it's running on the wrong tty. You'll get better information, if you search /var/log/Xorg.0.log. In fact, it will tell you most everything that happened at startup -- including which terminal it was started on. Just a hunch; but looks like you're setup for 2 displays, and the one you think it should start on, isn't configured properly. Video card driver, perhaps? Which may be why it started on (p)tty1, instead of 9 (it's fallen back to (s)vga mode, and started up on (p)tty1). Anyway. If you open up your rc.conf(5) file, and disable GDM, then reboot. That should make it a bit easier to debug the Xorg/GDM issue you're having -- especially if it's Video card setup related. That way you can use Xorg -configure followed by Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro to test any changes you make.

Best wishes.

--Chris

I don't use GDM. I have, but don't like it. But seems to me, it's running on the wrong tty. You'll get better information, if you search /var/log/Xorg.0.log. In fact, it will tell you most everything that happened at startup -- including which terminal it was started on. Just a hunch; but looks like you're setup for 2 displays, and the one you think it should start on, isn't configured properly. Video card driver, perhaps? Which may be why it started on (p)tty1, instead of 9 (it's fallen back to (s)vga mode, and started up on (p)tty1). Anyway. If you open up your rc.conf(5) file, and disable GDM, then reboot. That should make it a bit easier to debug the Xorg/GDM issue you're having -- especially if it's Video card setup related. That way you can use Xorg -configure followed by Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro to test any changes you make.

Best wishes.

--Chris

Thanks Chris_H,

I tried to disable GDM, however, I cannot solve this error. Based on the Xorg.0.log, I cannot find out any problems.
This error seemed to happen to some users (https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/cant-get-the-gnome-3-desktop.49250/)
I did not see any solution yet. Interestingly, I can access MATE and KDE4. For my Lenovo X200, I can also access Gnome-shell without any error.

This problem had bothered me for several weeks....

Thanks fernandel,

Your suggestion was good. However, I did not install any extension. Also, I did not have any touchpad since I installed FreeBSD 10.2 in a desktop PC. After I tried two desktop PCs, I had the identical problem regardless FreeBSD 10.2 and 11-current.

The Gnome of FreeBSD 10.2 and 11 was version 3.16.
In the identical desktop PCS, I tried linux (Debian 8.2 with gnome 3.14). The gnome was no problem. I may try OpenBSD.

Thanks again.

If you're able to attach a copy of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I could probably point you to a more specific path to resolving this.

--Chris

Hmmmm, somewhere I discovered in GNOME3 there is a place to tell it what is primary monitor and what is secondary monitor. I had to fart with it a bit to get my Nvidia (HDMI) card made primary for GNOME3, but I also wanted both the Nvidia card and motherboard card to output simultaneously during boot up. I'll try to dig that up this evening if I get time.

Maybe in your case its trying to output GNOME3 to the onboard video which can't drive it. I lost a lot of time trying to get GNOME3 working on the motherboard video, and the logs were 'o k' in being helpful. Stuck in an NVIDIA card and I was up and running in minutes.

Thanks, PacketMan.
However, no VGA chips were embedded in my motherboard.

I found an interesting issue.
If I applied gnome_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, I failed to log in Gnome.
However, without GDM and gnome-shell, if I applied gnome-session in .xinitrc, I could log in gnome via startx command.
So, I guessed that some default settings in Gnome3 caused the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, without GDM and gnome-shell, if I applied 'gnome-session' in .xinitrc, I could log in gnome via 'startx' command.
So, I guessed that some default settings in gnome3 caused the problem.
WOOT! That's amazing. I just finished updating one of my systems, and afterwards, was unable to start x11/cinnamon-session. So I attempted to start x11/gnome-session. But Gnome returned the same screen you posted at the beginning of your port:
Code:
:(
Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
I always use .xinitrc ( startx(1) ). So it's the same problem, but from the opposite problem.
( Thread cinnamon-failed-to-load-session-cinnamon.54874 )

Hi, Chris_H,
Sorry for your problem.
I guessed downgrading or upgrading Gnome3 or Cinnamon might solve the problem.
The current version of Gnome3 is 3.16.4
However, I did not know how to do.....

By the way, dbus might be a cause for this problem (I may be wrong).
When you performed startx, please switch into tty2 or other ttys.
You could observe some strange processes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Chris_H,
Sorry for your problem.
I guessed downgrading or upgrading Gnome3 or Cinnamon might solve the problem.
The current version of Gnome3 is 3.16.4
However, I did not know how to do.....
Thanks for the reply, Free.vesh . But it took me some 2 days to build, and upgrade the 1024 ports required to update this system. I'm not going back. ;) I'm just going to need to figure out why. Which is a good thing(tm). Because, when I do. When someone else has this problem, I'll have the solution for them. :)

Thanks again, Free.vesh!

--Chris

Hi, all.
Today, I had tested FreeBSD 10.2 and Gnome 3.14.2 (installing gnome3 from DVD).
I can access gnome desktop successfully.
Therefore, I am sure that a bug exised in Gnome 3.16.4.
I also reported this bug for FreeBSD team.
Thanks all.

Yea, I have the same (similar) problem with x11/cinnamon-session (It's Gnome3 repackaged, and tweaked).
It ran near flawlessly, when I was running the previous version. But my recent up(date|grade) made it unusable. It won't start, and neither will Gnome3.
I think they should roll-back Gnome3, until upstream get's it right.

--Chris

Yea, I have the same (similar) problem with x11/cinnamon-session (It's Gnome3 repackaged, and tweaked).
It ran near flawlessly, when I was running the previous version. But my recent up(date|grade) made it unusable. It won't start, and neither will Gnome3.
I think they should roll-back Gnome3, until upstream get's it right.

--Chris

HI, Chris.
You may follow this: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=206663
I and Lan tried to find out the solution.
Thanks.

Indeed. I had already caught your bug report, when it came in on the port-bugs@ mailing list. It started out slow. But I see it's starting to get interesting now. :)
There's a bit of a difference, from the issue I'm having.
1) I'm trying to get x11/cinnamon-session going
2) I don't use (X|G)DM. I simply boot to the console/terminal, and issue startx(1), which sucks my chosen Desktop and initial environment from ~/.xinitrc
As to 1), it's still fairly tied to Gnome3, so the tips, and pointers you're getting in the pr(1) you started, will indeed be (at least) helpful. :)

Thanks for the pointer Free.vesh !

--Chris

Back