DWM [SOLVED] How do I patch, install, and start DWM?

Try:

/boot/loader.conf

beastie_disable="YES"

More aggressive, if you enjoy a blackout period:

boot_mute="YES"
Thanks Graham, I'll try this.

Add slim_enable="YES" to your /etc/rc.conf
Alright so I did this and I get a login from slim, but after logging in I'm left with a black screen. I added dwm to my startup, but I guess I need to configure x to start on launch too. How can I do that? I read the FreeBSD section on X11 and couldn't find where it explains how to do this.

Ope, I mispoke. I installed slim via packages, if that makes a diffrence.
Please, read the instructions at the end of the package installation, they USUALLY include instructions on what to enable.
If you missed the instructions, you can always issue a pkg -D info {package_name} to see it at a later time.

Also, adding to Menelkir's fine wisdom, use sysrc to perform this, as it will take into account already existing entries by the same name and not duplicate, ie
sysrc slim_enable=yes

Thanks Graham, I'll try this.

Alright so I did this and I get a login from slim, but after logging in I'm left with a black screen. I added dwm to my startup, but I guess I need to configure x to start on launch too. How can I do that? I read the FreeBSD section on X11 and couldn't find where it explains how to do this.
(Oops, I deleted the previous message)
What's in your .xinitrc or your .xsession (I can never remember which one).

(Oops, I deleted the previous message)
What's in your .xinitrc or your .xsession (I can never remember which one).

Here's what I have for xterm and dwm.
exec xterm &
dwm
This only does anything when I run startx though. Is there some way to direct slim to dwm so it will actually open it after I log in? I can use ctrl+alt+F1-F10 to got to another virtual terminal in FreeBSD, but F9 where Slim launches just stays completly black.

for slim t open on startup I added this to etc/rc.conf
slim_enable="YES"

Ok, first thing:
Is this the .xinitrc file output?

If so, you need to provide a path to dwm.

This is important, because you're basically in a shell, and you need to use shell commands:
. /usr/local/bin/dwm

Note the dot/period and then a space and then the path to dwm ( which dwm will tell you where).

Also, in the interests of teaching a man to fish:

The output of slim is likely placed in /var/log/slim.log.
You can check the configuration of slim in /usr/local/etc/slim.conf because in here you can set the default user so that all you need do is provide a password if that's your end goal.

Ok, first thing:
Is this the .xinitrc file output?

If so, you need to provide a path to dwm.

This is important, because you're basically in a shell, and you need to use shell commands:
. /usr/local/bin/dwm

editing dwm did nothing but break it.
I changed it to
exec xterm &
. /usr/home/*user*/build/suckless/dwm (this is where it's installed on my machine)

as well as the /usr/bin/dwm path you recommended

Back