Software for note taking

Gnote is the only thing I found so far that is somewhat close to cherrytree. Is there anything compatible with cherrytree in the ports? I would like to be able to read my notes in my fbsd box.

deskutils/qownnotes would be another option

Interesting for the fact it uses Markdown alone.

I can write several Markup Languages but never really seen Markdown, or occurred to me to use Markup to keep notes.

By the way, you can also use security/keepass or security/keepassxc for simple note-taking. Its primary purpose is for storing passwords securely, but there is a free-form comment window for every entry that can be used for notes. Entries are organized in a hierarchical fashion, and there is a full-text search feature that covers the comments.

Advantages of KeePass:
  • Strong encryption.
  • Cross platform: You can share KeePass files and use them on BSD, Linux, Windows, MacOs, and there are even apps for Android and iOS.
  • There are various alternative ways to work with KeePass files: Beside the graphical GUI, there are text-bases ncurses programs and even simple command line (CLI) tools, so you can use KeePass data from within your own scripts, or even write your own KeePass utility from scratch.

And what will happen, if -- out of the blue, GitHub announce that, no private for you?

Well, when using Git, you usually have a local copy of the repository anyway. So you don’t lose anything. If GitHub doesn’t want you anymore, you can just move on to GitLab or one of the many other hosters. Or run your own Git server at home, or at some virtual root server that you can get for 2 €/month if you prefer.
Using Git does not mean you have to use GitHub.

deskutils/qownnotes would be another option
I've tried this on windows in the past but gave up on it, I wasn't able to figure out on how to create a directory tree style like cherrytree, found it to be very user unfriendly with very poor documentation even though the software has a very good look to it.

which open-source free note taking app which can do:
  • Graphics (including drawing with pen on iPad)
  • sync
  • tabbed/hierarchical structure like MS OneNote?
I am trying to find universal app which will work with iPad Pro, Win10 and BSD (it will be used with all OS'es listed)

any ideas?

Hello,
I know this is an old topic.
But I will write...
I use deskutils/cherrytree at work and I've always wanted to put it on my FreeBSD.
Port and package for deskutils/cherrytree are not available now.
Finally I was able to do it through Linuxulator.
Install via emulators/wine, it's easy, but I chose Linuxulator.
Since the Linuxulator is based on CentOS 7.9, the available version of Cherrytree is 0.38.5

Screenshot at 2022-12-28 18-12-43.png

Back