Software for note taking

I use deskutils/cherrytree at work and I've always wanted to put it on my FreeBSD.
Port and package for deskutils/cherrytree are not available now.
The Cherrytree port was deleted because it depended on Python 2 - but: Python 2 remained in the ports; It should be deleted long, long time ago, so… why is the Python 2 port & package still available, but some ports that depend on it are removed? Doesn't make sense.

Back to Cherrytree: Since end of 09/2020 (v. 0.99.14) it doesn't depend on Python 2 anymore; I've looked a little bit through the source, and can only find Python 3 dependencies. So that software just needs a maintainer to be back in the ports again ;)

If you want a good alternative to Cherrytree you may want to take a look at deskutils/zim - I've switched to it from Cherrytree some years ago.

The Cherrytree port was deleted because it depended on Python 2
Yes, I know.

I've looked a little bit through the source, and can only find Python 3 dependencies. So that software just needs a maintainer to be back in the ports again ;)
Yes, you right.
I also want to try to compile the latest version of cherrythree in Linuxulator. I don't know if it will work for me or not.
If you want a good alternative to Cherrytree you may want to take a look at deskutils/zim - I've switched to it from Cherrytree some years ago.
Ahh grate!
I didn't know about this software.
I used cherrytree because it seems convenient to me and cross-platform.
deskutils/zim look the same as Cherrytree and cross-platform too.

I really fall in love with deskutils/qownnotes:

- it has desktop integration (can be minimized in systrail)
- native markdown syntax highlight + rendering
- can use nextcloud/owncloud backend to keep notes in sync
- you can keep notes organized, use tags, or perform full text search
- notes can be encrypted (never used)
- notes can include images or attached files (not tested)

Back