general/other So close to installing .deb package of Obsidian (knowledge management software) - How do I proceed?

Helllo,

Trying to install .deb file for Obsidian - I have tried the usual route of trying to extract the debian file and copy the contents of the extracted `data.tar.xz` it onto `/compat/linux` . That however didn't get it to work. The program just wouldn't start - it kept on complaining about compatible packages under `linux_base-c7` which I kept installing as it asked.

Finally after installing all the packages - the software showed some sign of being able to run on FreeBSD machine - but it was it was crashing
./obsidian Trace/BPT trap (core dumped

Upon using `truss` (read a snippet from Lucas's book on FreeBSD it gives me the following output:
a) when I try to run the binary from within `/compat/linux/opt/Obsidian`
truss obsidian truss: execvp obsidian: No such file or directory truss: Unable to enable LWP events for pid 6826: No such process

b) when I try to run it as a script
./obsidian linux_brk(0x0) = 166346752 (0x9ea4000) linux_newuname(0x7fffffffc7aa) = 0 (0x0) linux_mmap2(0x0,0x1000,0x3,0x22,0xffffffffffffffff,0x0) = 34524581888 (0x809d35000) linux_readlink("/proc/self/exe","/compat/linux/opt/Obsidian/obsidian",4096) = 35 (0x23) linux_access("/etc/ld.so.preload",R_OK) ERR#-2 'No such file or directory' linux_open("/compat/linux/opt/Obsidian/tls/x86_64/libffmpeg.so",0x80000,01174660520) ERR#-2 'No such file or directory' linux_newstat("/compat/linux/opt/Obsidian/tls/x86_64",0x7fffffffc200) ERR#-2 'No such file or directory' linux_open("/compat/linux/opt/Obsidian/tls/libffmpeg.so",0x80000,01174660520) ERR#-2 'No such file or directory' linux_newstat("/compat/linux/opt/Obsidian/tls",0x7fffffffc200) ERR#-2 'No such file or directory' linux_open("/compat/linux/opt/Obsidian/x86_64/libffmpeg.so",0x80000,01174660520) ERR#-2 'No such file or directory' linux_newstat("/compat/linux/opt/Obsidian/x86_64",0x7fffffffc200) ERR#-2 'No such file or directory' linux_open("/compat/linux/opt/Obsidian/libffmpeg.so",0x80000,01174660520) = 3 (0x3) read(3,"\^?ELF\^B\^A\^A\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"...,832) = 832 (0x340) linux_newfstat(3,0x7fffffffc200) = 0 (0x0) ...... ............ TOO LONG TO PASTE HERE

How do I proceed?

Do you have Linux virtual filesystems mounted? /etc/fstab:
Code:
linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc  linprocfs       rw      0       0
linsysfs    /compat/linux/sys   linsysfs        rw      0       0
tmpfs    /compat/linux/dev/shm  tmpfs   rw,mode=1777    0       0

Do you have Linux virtual filesystems mounted? /etc/fstab:
Code:
linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc  linprocfs       rw      0       0
linsysfs    /compat/linux/sys   linsysfs        rw      0       0
tmpfs    /compat/linux/dev/shm  tmpfs   rw,mode=1777    0       0
Yes - contents of /etc/fstab as below
# Device Mountpoint FStype Options Dump Pass#
/dev/ada0p2.eli none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
# For Linux compatibility according to instructions of linux emulator
linprocfs /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0
linsysfs /compat/linux/sys linsysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /compat/linux/dev/shm tmpfs rw,mode=1777 0 0

`kldstat` shows the following as well (among others) : linprocfs.ko linux_common.ko linsysfs.ko tmpfs.ko linuxkpi_gplv2.ko linux.ko linux64.ko

Tracker I don't think you have your linux jail set up correctly.

You're installing a .deb, the regular linux jail is FreeBSD is CentOS. It makes more sense to me to use debootstrap and make an Ubuntu jail.
I was eventually able to get Obsidian to start, it asked about what Vault I wanted to create, etc. But it wants to crash or fill my starting terminal with errors.

To get you further along, here's a breadcrumb trail as I jotted notes while doing this:

I followed the Handbook as it related to Debian jails:

I also followed the debootstrap guide: (the link for which is under the Debian section of LinuxJails)

i.e.: install debootstrap pkg install debootstrap
then use it (I installed the latest ubungu, 22.04, "jammy") debootstrap jammy /compat/ubuntu

Be sure to set up your fstab just like they list in the wiki. Also you'll need to load "linux64 fdescfs linprocfs linsysfs tmpfs" into your rc.conf properly in order for that fstab to work. (installing debootstrap tells you this)

If you've properly set up the additions to your /etc/rc.conf as above and your /etc/fstab as pointed out in the LinuxJails wiki page above, you should be able to reboot properly.

After rebooting, you should be able to chroot /compat/ubuntu /bin/bash and you'll be in your jail.

All of this is in the LinuxJails wiki above. Fix your user and group id's to match your FreeBSD system.

Then update your jail. apt update && apt upgrade I grabbed ubuntu versions of nano and wget just so I could do things from the linux chroot. I then wget'd the Obsidian .deb file you pointed out. Then it's just a matter of apt install obsidian_0.15.9_amd64.deb.

I started having to fix lib errors for missing libs, first I had to apt install libgbm-dev, then apt install libasound2 and apt install ffmpeg.

Interestingly, here is where you can start Obsidian (but only as ubuntu's root user, likely just a permissions error I didn't feel like tracking down). I got lots of errors trying to start it but they were basically chromium errors, which I found I could bypass (by looking at https://wiki.freebsd.org/LinuxApps - also mentioned in the LinuxJails wiki) by starting thusly:
obsidian --no-sandbox --no-zygote --in-process-gpu

So what did I do differently? In a couple hours while watching tv I started with the Handbook and chased it down the rabbit hole to the LinuxJails wiki, etc. I'm still missing something which I haven't figured out, or some permissions, which again I'm just not in the mood to track down. You at least should be able to get worlds further than you have. Good luck!

K5KGT.

K5KGT thanks - I'm actually on 12.3 - and the ubuntu solution works for 13.0+ I believe.
I'm thinking of upgrading was hoping to find a solution while staying with 12.3 - hence the approach to install deb file in CentOS /compat/linux

I was hoping I didn't have to upgrade to 13 anytime soon.

Tried to install it - using nullfs to access home directory of host
apt install obsidian_0.15.9_amd64.deb
Output :
apt-get install obsidian_0.15.9_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package obsidian_0.15.9_amd64.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'obsidian_0.15.9_amd64.deb'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'obsidian_0.15.9_amd64.deb'
But it exists 🤔
ls | grep obsidian_0.15.9_amd64
obsidian_0.15.9_amd64.deb

Tracker I don't think you have your linux jail set up correctly.

You're installing a .deb, the regular linux jail is FreeBSD is CentOS. It makes more sense to me to use debootstrap and make an Ubuntu jail.
I was eventually able to get Obsidian to start, it asked about what Vault I wanted to create, etc. But it wants to crash or fill my starting terminal with errors.

To get you further along, here's a breadcrumb trail as I jotted notes while doing this:

I followed the Handbook as it related to Debian jails:

I also followed the debootstrap guide: (the link for which is under the Debian section of LinuxJails)

i.e.: install debootstrap pkg install debootstrap
then use it (I installed the latest ubungu, 22.04, "jammy") debootstrap jammy /compat/ubuntu

Be sure to set up your fstab just like they list in the wiki. Also you'll need to load "linux64 fdescfs linprocfs linsysfs tmpfs" into your rc.conf properly in order for that fstab to work. (installing debootstrap tells you this)

If you've properly set up the additions to your /etc/rc.conf as above and your /etc/fstab as pointed out in the LinuxJails wiki page above, you should be able to reboot properly.

After rebooting, you should be able to chroot /compat/ubuntu /bin/bash and you'll be in your jail.

All of this is in the LinuxJails wiki above. Fix your user and group id's to match your FreeBSD system.

Then update your jail. apt update && apt upgrade I grabbed ubuntu versions of nano and wget just so I could do things from the linux chroot. I then wget'd the Obsidian .deb file you pointed out. Then it's just a matter of apt install obsidian_0.15.9_amd64.deb.

I started having to fix lib errors for missing libs, first I had to apt install libgbm-dev, then apt install libasound2 and apt install ffmpeg.

Interestingly, here is where you can start Obsidian (but only as ubuntu's root user, likely just a permissions error I didn't feel like tracking down). I got lots of errors trying to start it but they were basically chromium errors, which I found I could bypass (by looking at https://wiki.freebsd.org/LinuxApps - also mentioned in the LinuxJails wiki) by starting thusly:
obsidian --no-sandbox --no-zygote --in-process-gpu

So what did I do differently? In a couple hours while watching tv I started with the Handbook and chased it down the rabbit hole to the LinuxJails wiki, etc. I'm still missing something which I haven't figured out, or some permissions, which again I'm just not in the mood to track down. You at least should be able to get worlds further than you have. Good luck!

K5KGT.
Ok very strange - it did ask me initially to install a few missing libs errors and I did - then it actually started!!!
But after I Ctrl+C closed it from the terminal it doesn't start again :( complaining about the GPU somehow

Try obsidian --no-sandbox --no-zygote --in-process-gpu like I was able to discover above, other than that I'm tapped out on ideas. Good luck, you're getting there.

Try obsidian --no-sandbox --no-zygote --in-process-gpu like I was able to discover above, other than that I'm tapped out on ideas. Good luck, you're getting there.
Thanks a lot - it does open now!

However it compains of ENOSYS error: Function not implemented 🤔 - which doesn't make it work

I have been pulling my hair out and poking my own eyes. I want Obsidian on FreeBSD but have no luck. Anyone, please help push this closer to reality?

I have been pulling my hair out and poking my own eyes. I want Obsidian on FreeBSD but have no luck. Anyone, please help push this closer to reality?
I think we need to push the developers of Obsidian to provide the FreeBSD version.

As I saw in this post https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...Teams on,4 4. Install the dpkg ... More items
I add '--test-type --single-thearded-gc' in the command line in addition to '--no-sandbox --no-zygote --in-process-gpu' and bring up the screen to choose and enter a vault and that is the farthest I can get. I then see the error as Tracker saw.

This is the error

[77081:1124/073646.392528:ERROR:file_path_watcher_linux.cc(321)] inotify_init() failed: Function not implemented (38)
[77081:1124/073646.392695:ERROR:address_tracker_linux.cc(196)] Could not create NETLINK socket: Address family not supported by protocol (97)
[77081:1124/073646.400011:ERROR:bus.cc(397)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[77081:1124/073646.400095:ERROR:bus.cc(397)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[77081:1124/073646.400236:ERROR:bus.cc(397)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[77081:1124/073646.400334:ERROR:bus.cc(397)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[77081:1124/073646.794358:ERROR:udev_watcher.cc(52)] Failed to initialize a udev monitor.
[77081:1124/073646.816048:ERROR:bus.cc(397)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[48089:1124/073646.903982:ERROR:file_path_watcher_linux.cc(321)] inotify_init() failed: Function not implemented (38)
[48089:1124/073646.903982:ERROR:address_tracker_linux.cc(196)] Could not create NETLINK socket: Address family not supported by protocol (97)
2022-11-24 07:36:46 Checking for update using Github
2022-11-24 07:36:47 Success.
2022-11-24 07:36:47 Latest version is 1.0.3
2022-11-24 07:36:47 App is up to date.
amdgpu: os_same_file_description couldn't determine if two DRM fds reference the same file description.
If they do, bad things may happen!

Seems like there is non-implemented api. I don't know how to go further on this.

Hi,

I wrote a script to install Obsidian on FreeBSD that uses a method very similar to the linux-browser-installer. I haven't tested it on 12 but it works on 13 and 14. The details on how it works are in the following blog post and git repo.

Back