slow rsync speeds for LAN transfer but not remote transfer

I'm trying to transfer a bunch of movies (.mv4; ~400mb each) from my freebsd server to my mac on my local area network, with:
Bash:
rsync --progress -vvr oliver@myserver.ddns.net:/home/oliver/family_videos .
The transfer is excruciatingly slow (75kb/s)

I can download files with my internet connection from servers on the other side of the world at a much faster speed!

What is odd is that when I am outside my LAN (connecting my laptop to my phone's hotspot), the transfer speed of the above rsync call is significantly faster. Same goes for loading a webpage hosted on the server: loading time is much faster outside the LAN than within the LAN.

Happy to provide the results of any diagnostic commands to help you identify the issue...

You're not connecting to a local address. You're connecting to your external address (myserver.ddns.net). Which causes your home internet router to try and do a hairpin. Hairpinning usually doesn't even work (on cheap SOHO modem/routers), so getting 75KB/s is already more than I expected.

Use rsync(1) to the internal address.

Great - now I'm getting 50mb/s speeds with:
Bash:
rsync --progress -vvr oliver@192.168.0.10:/home/oliver/family_videos .

Also, to view my website, navigating to:
is much faster than

Is there a way I can always ssh into the same address & navigate to the same url to view my website? Otherwise I have to have 2 aliases/browser shortcuts depending on whether I am in / out of the LAN

I have set
Code:
UseDNS no
in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

But that didn't seem to help.

Is there a way I can always ssh into the same address & navigate to the same url to view my website? Otherwise I have to have 2 aliases/browser shortcuts depending on whether I am in / out of the LAN
Nothing "easy". One way to solve it is to use an internal DNS server to translate internal requests to internal addresses. A so-called split-horizon DNS.

Back