Slow network performance

Yes, i am using thunar 1.6.10, which is a part of xfce, and yes i am certain it's SMB

here is a tiny portion of the wireshark trace showing the 7 second delay (drop indicated with a red arrow in the graph posted earlier) https://www.cloudshark.org/captures/bf42fc4b294b

Frame 6 - Arrival Time: Jul 13, 2016 18:46:05.620876000 UTC
Frame 7 - Arrival Time: Jul 13, 2016 18:46:13.068508000 UTC

Yes, i am using thunar 1.6.10, which is a part of xfce, and yes i am certain it's SMB

Ok well, going by some quick scanning of Google, it looks like thunar is probably using devel/gvfs to handle SMB URLs. Searching for "gvfs smb slow" and "gvfs smb performance" finds many results of people complaining about the performance. I'm uncertain if there is a combination of thunar and gvfs versions which gives good performance. Overall, it is pointing very much towards this not being a FreeBSD problem, but an application problem.

So that we can be more confident about exactly what ports/packages are involved, and their precise versions, please post the output of pkg info.

Something else that you could try is to use mount_smbfs(8) (which is part of the base FreeBSD system) to mount the Windows SMB share, then copy the file using the Unix command line, taking all of the graphical tools / environment out of the picture. Try that after a reboot of FreeBSD, without ever having used thunar, as there's some hits in Google which suggest that thunar may also have or cause some performance issues.

Code:
ORBit2-2.14.19_1               High-performance CORBA ORB with support for the C language
Thunar-1.6.10_1                Xfce file manager
adwaita-icon-theme-3.18.0      GNOME Symbolic Icons
alsa-lib-1.1.1_1               ALSA compatibility library
alsa-plugins-1.1.1             ALSA compatibility library plugins
appres-1.0.4                   Program to list application's resources
xwininfo-1.1.3_1               Window information utility for X
xwud-1.0.4                     Image displayer for X

full list link

Hey Rust, thanks. I will look in to the smb.conf

Is this considered slow write speeds?
time dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/mytest.fil bs=1m count=500
Code:
500+0 records in
500+0 records out
524288000 bytes transferred in 0.782651 secs (669887389 bytes/sec)
0.000u 0.582s 0:00.78 74.3%    25+171k 0+1io 0pf+0w

I am interpreting this as the system is capable of writing almost 700MB a sec

Last edited by a moderator:
So it seems that network protocols have nothing to do with the issue.

Last week I came across a post by Adam Strohl, where he describes a ZFS performance problem over NFS. I am not using NFS in my set up, but wanted to see if UFS would make any difference.

I built another BSD guest using UFS. As you can see the problem goes away when UFS is being used.

zfs_ufs.jpg

Thank you everyone for your support.

P.S. I do realize that I am only transferring at 35% of the available throughput, but that may have something to do with open-vm-tools.

Back