Setting up a STEAM Game to run in a jail

Hello people

I would like to set a STEAM game to run in a FreeBSD jail so that my guest, who would play the game, would be able to play the game without being able to access any other parts of my host machine (such as desktop, etc)

Can someone please help me make this haappen? How do I get this done?

What's wrong with traditional one account per person approach?
That way, the guest could still access my OS, and my desktop environment, could tinker with my files etc. This way, I could launch them directly into the game environment

That way, the guest could still access my OS, and my desktop environment, could tinker with my files etc. This way, I could launch them directly into the game environment
Could "know" what OS you have, can't tinker with your files unless is the same user as yours, unless you want to run steam as root.

Could "know" what OS you have, can't tinker with your files unless is the same user as yours, unless you want to run steam as root.
I don't understand. By root, you mean as the default shell, replacing explorer.exe?

Because we're talking windows 10 pro, not linux.

Windows supports multiple accounts with access controls as well (since NT / XP). Actually, I think a ban is in order.

So FreeBSD doesn't work on Win 10?
At least in that form this question makes little sense. Can you please elaborate?
Windows is an operating system. FreeBSD is an operating system. You can't just "run FreeBSD on Windows 10" (unless you use a virtualization solution).

Please explain what goal you ultimately want to achieve.

Responding to the initial question - Here is a good tutorial on how to run GUI applications inside a Jail. And to get Steam running use this.

Running proprietary games in Jails is actually a not so bad idea, because Jails offer much more isolation than just using separate user accounts.

because Jails offer much more isolation than just using separate user accounts.
Once you enable network, X11, 3d acceleration and direct evdev (or even USB) access, jails effectively provide no additional isolation over a plain user account.

Back