SANE setup of UMAX 2100u scanner

D

Deleted member 9563

I have been trying to set up a UMAX Astra 2100u scanner but not having much luck. So far I have been unable to scan anything. I can detect the device as root, but a user in the wheel group cannot, and Xsane cannot find the device either. The device is listed as being supported by SANE.

I will list the steps and information below, and perhaps someone has a suggestion or can spot an error:

# dmesg | grep ugen
Code:
-snip-
ugen0.5: <vendor 0x1606> at usbus0

# sane-find-scanner -q
Code:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x1606, product=0x0130, chip=PV8630/LM9830) at
 libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen0.5

# scanimage -L
Code:
device `umax1220u:libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen0.5' is a UMAX Astra 2100U
 flatbed scanner

# edit /usr/local/etc/sane.d/umax1220u.conf

Code:
# Options for the umax1220u backend
# Autodetect the UMAX Astra 1220U
usb 0x1606 0x0130
usb /dev/ugen0.5

To:
/etc/devfs.rules
I added:
Code:
[system=5]
add path ugen0.2 mode 0660 group wheel
add path usb/0.2.0 mode 0666 group wheel

And in:
/etc/rc.conf
I have:
Code:
devfs_system_ruleset="system"

I noticed the discrepancy in /etc/devfs.rules and I changed it to this
Code:
[system=5]
add path ugen0.5 mode 0660 group wheel
add path usb/0.5 mode 0666 group wheel

However, it doesn't make any difference. The handbook scanner section is somewhat vague about the numbers - or where to get them.

You can't count on a USB device always showing up at a fixed address. So for /etc/devfs.rules:
Code:
add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group operator
add path 'usb/*' mode 0660 group operator

Or "group wheel" if you like, but "operator" is the standard. Your normal user has to be a member of whichever you choose.

After you change devfs.rules, restart devfs as root:
# service devfs restart

Just the vendor and product IDs are adequate in the SANE config file:
Code:
usb 0x1606 0x0130

If that doesn't do it, you can use devd(8) to set owner and permissions whenever the device is detected. I can show an example, but hopefully it won't be necessary.

Thanks wblock. I changed the SANE config file and the /etc/devfs.rules as well. However I left the "group wheel". Then I tried command line access as user again and this time got the appropriate response. Next I tried Xsane and it opened up this time, but locked up.

I then replugged the scanner which resulted in no recognition from the command line and, again, no ability to start Xsane. I tried "operator" in the /etc/devfs.rules with the same results.

I don't know if there is another problem at play here. The user is a member of "group wheel".
Code:
$ id -Gn
eileen wheel
# id -Gn gives the same output.

The /etc/group file has a group called "saned" and I added the user to that, but it doesn't show up, and the instructions for group permissions in the handbook scanner section didn't work either. I am going to read about the /etc/group file since the command line commands don't seem to operate as I had expected in this case.

When you install graphics/sane-backends, the pkg-message it shows at the end gives an example of /etc/devd.conf entries. These work for me. My normal user is a member of the saned group, although I don't recall doing that and it might be years old and now unneeded.

I found that pkg-message. Here is what I added to the end of /etc/devd.conf

Code:
attach 100 {
        device-name "ugen0.5";
        match "vendor" "0x1606";
        match "product" "0x130";
        action "usb_devaddr=`echo $device-name | sed 's#^ugen##'` && \
                chown cups:saned /dev/usb/${usb_devaddr}.* && \
                chmod 660 /dev/usb/${usb_devaddr}.*";
};

To confirm, here is the current relevant line at the end of dmesg is this:
Code:
ugen0.5: <vendor 0x1606> at usbus0

It still doesn't work.

I added the user to both "saned" and "cups" groups which made the device recognized as user, but still not as root. I thought that root had access to all groups, however I added root to those groups as well. Still, root does not recognize the device.

Back