Solved Restore the Previous installation from a file created using zfs send

I am having issues with my upgrade to 13.2 from 12.4 and would like to revert to my previous version of FreeBSD for note-taking and attempting a new update from scratch as I cannot get my jails to run, I cannot get VNC or Xrdp to run at startup.

I am a little gun shy as I am not sure why my new install is having so much trouble. So I appreciate a critique of the steps I think I should take.

I thought I would restore a backup of the previous Installation to an external drive, take some notes about how things are set up there, and repeat the FreeBSD update. I have lately suspected that the bootup user and password is somehow lost to me and that prevents me from getting VNC, XrdP to autostart.

I created a backup file from a snapshot of the earlier version of FreeBSD.
The file is called rtankBackup.

My plan is to take an ssd with data I do not care about and put it in a USB enclosure.
I want to send that rtankBack file created from zfs send to the SSD.

My understanding of the steps involved:

first, once I plug in the SSD, I need to figure out what it is called.

fdisk -l | grep 'Disk /dev' // I think that should give me the info? Is the 'Disk" in the command a placeholder and if so, what goes there?

Create a zpool on the usb drive:
zpool create rtank /dev/sdn - assuming that is the location.

Related question:
'rtank is the original pool name of the OS pool, can I use that while the new rtank is still online?

My Main Questions:
I am not sure how to send the os backup that is in the file called rtankBackup to the external drive attached via USB as I have previously always saved to whole disks?
Do I mount it?
If so, do I snapshot it and send that to the USB drive?

I got the upgraded 13.2 install working well enough, so I will not need to do this, although I would like to know how at some point.
There are other priorities to attend to on this machine. And so much to learn.

Back