Solved Q about Bhyve - 3.6GB/s disk speed and CPU cores

I use ESXI hosts for years and years, but in the last half year I thinking of moving from ESXI. Proxmox is no go dude to the network setups, drops etc., and I really don’t like Proxmox in general. XPC-NG, it’s ok… then we come to Bhyve() and I really want to love Bhyve as it’s on FreeBSD and I running 95% of all my servers with FreeBSD. I’am totalt new on Bhyve, so..

Two questions.
Fist, my test server is a standard HPE G9 DL360, noting special.. 2x2658A v3, 192GB, 460 10gbps card, P440ar 12G SAS card with 8 standard Samsung EVO 870 500GB SSDs and a 1.2TB fusion iodrive2 that’s I have not get it to work yet.

Q1 - Disk speed:
I have the 8 SSDs in a raid 10 configuration (hw on the 440) that I run ZFS on. I need to flash the card to HBA-mode so I can get real ZFS - and I don’t have the SSA. So right know I’m stuck on HW-raid.)

In FreeBSD 13p5 (on the host - not the VM) I get 3.6GB/s with DD.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/tempfile bs=5M count=1024; sync
5368709120 bytes transferred in 1.484915 secs (3615499871 bytes/sec)

I know it’s not the best way to test. I have tried fio, speedtest, phoronix etc. and every test give me totally different numbers, so I just went with DD as that works on all OS.

When I start a VM (FreeBSD, Ubuntu or else) it’s give me maximum 1.1GB/s in transfer speed. Is that normal with that big diff? ESXI do that as well, even more, but my understanding Bhyve should be very near to the real HW?

Q2 - CPU cores
In the vm-config file/shell script you put:
Code:
bhyve -c 4 -m 8G …
As -c 4 is 4 cores in this VM. But, when I check the load on the host when the VM is running DD, is’t all over the place.
htop.png

Picture from the FreeBSD host - not the VM.

Is that normal? Why not 4 cores?
I’am running only 1 VM with the DD command above. After DD it’s idling on 0% on all cores.
If I start 4-5-6 VMs under load, well.. that’s a war going on then.

So.. I will anser my on problem as it may help other. :)

I installed Bhyve in the ”old”? style there I used if_bridge_load=”YES”, net.link.tap.up_on_open, net.link.ether.inet.proxyall .. and so on. A lot of ”stuff”.
I committed them all out and stated over (same FreeBSD13p5 install)

-= New Install =-
# pkg install vm-bhyve uefi-edk2-bhyve uefi-edk2-bhyve-csm grub2-bhyve

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="aesni coretemp vmm"
vm_enable="YES"
vm_dir=”zfs:zroot/vm”

And only used vm-bhyve command, witch also made it easier.

All works faster, both CPU speed and disk speed. I get 2.9GB/s in vm’s now in the firsts tests.
5368709120 bytes transferred in 1.856826 secs (2891337028 bytes/sec)
A drop 0.7GB/s from the host.

Htop on the host is still all over the place if I have more than 2 vm CPUs. Maybe normal for Bhyve? I will make some heavy loads on many vm’s and see. I will check network speed etc. but fast iperf3 test between different VLANs giv me 9+ gbps on 10gbps NICs. Only one SFP+ connector in this test, will put more in lagg.
FreeBSD Bhyve host (and FreeBSD vm iperf3 client) @vlan1 -> switch -> FreeBSD FW -> switch -> ESXI host (and FreeBSD vm iperf3 server) @vlan2

But.. for know, I will say bye bye esxi!

Back