Python, xorg and others with GPL dependencies.

I mean specifically Trac and Moin, which I was foolish enough to install and use.
You mean www/moinmoin? That surprises me. Both are widely used (EDIT e.g. FreeBSD wiki). I visited some sites that used the one or the other in the past, and I found them very usable. Did you install the latest, bright shiny new versions? Then, naturally, as with every software, one has to expect more bugs than in an older, stabilized versions. I don't want to blame anyone, but from my experience I can tell that sometimes the default installations of ports contain simple bugs introduced by the port maintainers and can be fixed more or less easily.

And as contrary as I expected, it works without any extra port dependency, of course there will be missing functionality, but the core works.

Great, that is good to hear. It should be noted that FreeBSD ports / packages do tend to bring in a little more dependencies than they should because they try to enable a broad selection of functionality to make them generic enough for use for everyone. I do see the reasoning behind this, it can just be a little annoying sometimes.

You mean www/moinmoin? That surprises me.

Yes, that one is still using the "obsolete" Python 2.x

Trac and Moin are also pretty much the projects that convinced me that Python is something to avoid. I hear so many people saying "Hah the Python 2->3 breakage is nothing, everyone has updated" and yet the *only* two projects I needed happened to not support Python 3. Nice.

Bring on Python 4. At least now I can watch the mad shuffle from the sidelines ;)

I think part of the problem is Python, and the use cases. (I am no fan of Python), but having so many batteries included is one benefit; however, I think it is a hindrance, since you have no clue if a module has been updated, or actively working on. Being forced to use PIP, is nothing more then what we were doing in the 90s with CPAN or linking C libraries with Tcl (been over 30 years since I did Tcl). ++laugh++ besides OOP is over rated, that is why we have STRUCTURES (trolling.. .take no account).

I do not use Python on less I have to... but when installing via PIP are modules binary or getting compiled on local machine... talking about the one that extend Python capability beyond the Python interpreter. Use to be at the monastery of Perl, you would need GCC to compile a few good modules into C code.

And if 2.7 was so bad for security, tell that to a number of network vendors that still only have 2.7 and hard hooks into the services on the boxes.... Meh...

I think if Xorg has GPL (not LGPL) dependencies, desktop environments like Lumina need to be up front about that, because they don't come across honest now that I know this information about Xorg. Lumina says you can make your own version and closed source it, and if that's really true, they must've made their own version of Xorg that ripped out all the GPL, otherwise they aren't giving the whole story at face value.

Back