Solved Problem with if_bwn at install stage

Hi!
I'm trying to install FreeBSD 12.1 32 bits in an Acer AspireOne D250-0Bk, but every time I try to install, the installation stops after load network and to try to load if_bwn.ko. At this moment the system turns in a brick; I need to reboot making a long push in the off button.
Anybody could help me to avoid this, please?

This is a photo I take:

Click here to see the message.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

There is a bug report concerning system freeze with the if_bwn driver during installation, PR 241408. Disabling the kernel module by renaming solves the problem. Maybe the system freezes because if_bwn requiers a firmware, which is absent on the installation media, only available as port net/bwn-firmware-kmod (for details see if_bwn(4)).

If this is a USB stick installation media, then renaming the kernel modul it easy. You can mount it on another FreeBSD system, this can be on hard disk (plug in USB stick, mount, rename /boot/kernel/if_bwn.ko, unmount), or another installation media (boot the first installation media on a different computer, change in installation menu to LiveCD, plug in the second one, mount it read/write, rename kernel module, unmount, boot the modified media on laptop.

Second option is to mount the USB installer image as a memory disk (mdconfig(8) on FreeBSD, on other systems, web search for How to mount raw images .img on <insert system name> ), rename module, unmount image, copy image on USB

If this is a CD/DVD iso, I never had to deal with this use case, then, I guess, search for iso editors or editing iso images on <insert system name> and try that.

The same system freeze may arise after a successful installation, when booting the first time. In that case you can try to rename the module from single user mode, or boot the installation media, change into LiveCD, mount installed system, rename module, boot into installed system, [EDIT: update system: freebsd-update(8)], install firmware, rename module to original name.

If this is a USB stick installation media, then renaming the kernel modul it easy. You can mount it on another FreeBSD system, this can be on hard disk (plug in USB stick, mount, rename /boot/kernel/if_bwn.ko, unmount), or another installation media (boot the first installation media on a different computer, change in installation menu to LiveCD, plug in the second one, mount it read/write, rename kernel module, unmount, boot the modified media on laptop.

Second option is to mount the USB image as a memory disk (mdconfig(8) on FreeBSD, on other systems, web search for How to mount raw images .img on <insert system name> ), rename module, unmount image, copy image on USB

OK T-Daemon, I don't know anything about this PR. I don't have any *NIX at home for now, but I will install an OpenBSD to do this kind of thing, and after the correction I will try to install again my FreeBSD.

Thank you so much!!!

By that time you may try with FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE. It works fine withif_bwn.

Yep, I could install 11.3, upgrade, and then load system in single user, modify the if_bwn renaming it and maybe I could have my FreeBSD system up and running...

Thank you so much gnath!!

Hi.

I am having problems with this module in particular, after I installed correctly, when I need to load the module to enable my wireless FreeBSD 12.2 just panic or freeze or something because I have to hard-power off the computer. I already installed the bwn-firmware-kmod firmware from ports and loaded the firmware like this:
kldload bwn_v4_ucode.ko
kldload bwn_v4_lp_ucode.ko

Any idea what else should I do?.

P.S The computer is an old one, an Acer aspire one

With any wireless interfaces I would suggest finishing the installation without configuring the network. It's much easier to configure the wireless interfaces afterwards once you have a working system. For some wireless interfaces you also need to install firmware, which is a little tricky to do if you don't have a working network.

With any wireless interfaces I would suggest finishing the installation without configuring the network. It's much easier to configure the wireless interfaces afterwards once you have a working system. For some wireless interfaces you also need to install firmware, which is a little tricky to do if you don't have a working network.
I installed and booted my new FreeBSD 12.2 but the problem persist.

What is the exact make and model of your wireless card?

Load one or the other, not both. The bwn_v4_lp_ucode module looks like it's the correct one for your card.
Code:
     This driver requires firmware to be loaded before it will work.  The
     ports/net/bwn-firmware-kmod port needs to be installed before ifconfig(8)
     will work.  In most cases the bwn_v4_ucode kernel module from the port
     should be used.  However, if an LP (low power) PHY is being used, the
     bwn_v4_lp_ucode module should be used.

Well... I did that and no luck. Seems like the driver is not working, when I try to create the device with ifconfig i have the output:

Code:
ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Device not configured

I tried hours ago with FreeBSD 11.4 and if_bwn worked like a charm, but I want a more recent and LTS version.

when I try to create the device with ifconfig i have the output
What is the exact command you used?

but I want a more recent and LTS version.
There is no LTS version. All versions have the same support window. Each major version is supported for at least 5 years. That said, support for 11.x will end some time next year (likely a few months after the release of 13.0).

Back