Solved Problem with if_bwn at install stage

toomanysecrets

Hi!
I'm trying to install FreeBSD 12.1 32 bits in an Acer AspireOne D250-0Bk, but every time I try to install, the installation stops after load network and to try to load if_bwn.ko. At this moment the system turns in a brick; I need to reboot making a long push in the off button.
Anybody could help me to avoid this, please?

This is a photo I take:

Click here to see the message.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

T-Daemon

Daemon

There is a bug report concerning system freeze with the if_bwn driver during installation, PR 241408. Disabling the kernel module by renaming solves the problem. Maybe the system freezes because if_bwn requiers a firmware, which is absent on the installation media, only available as port net/bwn-firmware-kmod (for details see if_bwn(4)).

If this is a USB stick installation media, then renaming the kernel modul it easy. You can mount it on another FreeBSD system, this can be on hard disk (plug in USB stick, mount, rename /boot/kernel/if_bwn.ko, unmount), or another installation media (boot the first installation media on a different computer, change in installation menu to LiveCD, plug in the second one, mount it read/write, rename kernel module, unmount, boot the modified media on laptop.

Second option is to mount the USB installer image as a memory disk (mdconfig(8) on FreeBSD, on other systems, web search for How to mount raw images .img on <insert system name> ), rename module, unmount image, copy image on USB

If this is a CD/DVD iso, I never had to deal with this use case, then, I guess, search for iso editors or editing iso images on <insert system name> and try that.

The same system freeze may arise after a successful installation, when booting the first time. In that case you can try to rename the module from single user mode, or boot the installation media, change into LiveCD, mount installed system, rename module, boot into installed system, [EDIT: update system: freebsd-update(8)], install firmware, rename module to original name.

OP
toomanysecrets

toomanysecrets

If this is a USB stick installation media, then renaming the kernel modul it easy. You can mount it on another FreeBSD system, this can be on hard disk (plug in USB stick, mount, rename /boot/kernel/if_bwn.ko, unmount), or another installation media (boot the first installation media on a different computer, change in installation menu to LiveCD, plug in the second one, mount it read/write, rename kernel module, unmount, boot the modified media on laptop.

Second option is to mount the USB image as a memory disk (mdconfig(8) on FreeBSD, on other systems, web search for How to mount raw images .img on <insert system name> ), rename module, unmount image, copy image on USB
OK T-Daemon, I don't know anything about this PR. I don't have any *NIX at home for now, but I will install an OpenBSD to do this kind of thing, and after the correction I will try to install again my FreeBSD.

Thank you so much!!!

OP
toomanysecrets

toomanysecrets

By that time you may try with FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE. It works fine withif_bwn.
Yep, I could install 11.3, upgrade, and then load system in single user, modify the if_bwn renaming it and maybe I could have my FreeBSD system up and running...

Thank you so much gnath!!