Preferred tools/packages

Tools i do use often:
audio/abcde - Front-end shell script to encode CDs in flac/mp3/ogg/speex format.
audio/mixertui - Audio mixer with a Terminal User Interface built on the FreeBSD sound system.
ftp/filezilla - FTP Client. I do use it mostly for transferring files to the phone.
games/homura - Wine-based Game Launcher.
misc/qt5ct - Configure Qt 5 settings (theme, font, icons, etc.) under DE/WM without Qt integration.
ports-mgmt/portlint - Verifier for FreeBSD port directory.
ports-mgmt/poudriere - Port build and test system
x11/antimicro - Graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad.

Chainsaws,
Those are very useful. We have probably a half dozen at home. A few months ago, only 2 were working, and our son started getting anxiety attacks.

Weed whackers: in a moment I'll go to the machine shop in the basement, and sharpen the saw blade on the trimmer.

Tractors: For many jobs, a small one (like the Ford 7120) are convenient; for big jobs, we borrow a Cat or Massey-Ferguson from the neighbors. For digging, nothing beats an excavator, but our whole neighborhood shares one, and it's not very big.

Chippers: The bigger the better. The current neighborhood shared one is an old "Eeger Beever" with an 80HP engine; for half the year, we can borrow a much larger one (can take 30cm = 12 in trees in one piece) with a 160 or 180 HP diesel.

We're thinking of buying a small crane; not on a truck, but on a crawler chassis (with tracks, like a bulldozer). Probably an Antec DB-37, if we can get a used one at a decent price.

ralphbsz I used to own 127 acres in the Missouri Ozarks. Everyone had a tractor but me. My brother-in-law got me a used tractor that worked three times and never worked again.

I would go there as often as I could and just sit in the house and do nothing but stare or walk the trails. But I was the only one who would go and I felt I was just tying it up and someone else could get better use of it so I sold. Sometimes I wish I didn't.

I used to host one of the largest airsoft games in the country there. That was a blast but exhausting.

I appreciate CLI tools which I am used to :

XTerm
Vi, ex and ed (ed is fantastic)
fetchmail
mutt (the best ever MUA)
msmtp (sad that ssmtp is not maintained)
tmux
irssi
lynx (nice to read papers and articles online without all the JS junk and ads distracting you)
TeXLive (XeLaTeX, LuaLaTeX). I recently (re)discovered groff which is far… far… faaaar… lighter than any *TeX flavors and produces beautiful documents.
qpdf
gnuplot
mpv
yt-dlp
ffmpeg

GUI ones :

gimp
inkscape
darktable

Coming from GNU/Linux I need to dig bhyve in replacement of qemu.

Last edited:
devel/valgrind - I do most of the development of Valgrind on FreeBSD
virtualbox-ose - For testing on other FreeBSD versions, Linux, Illumos and macOS
devel/qtcreator - my main IDE
devel/gdb - Valgrind doesn't yet have a fully functional lldb-server so I mainly use gdb
devel/llvm-devel - for testing with the upcoming version
lang/gcc15-devel - and a few other versions, for reference
sysutils/bstack - because there's no pstack in base and the pstack port does not work well
devel/git - though I hate its zero abstraction model and ability to screw up you have to go with the flow sometimes
x11/kde5 -for ideological reasons
www/firefox - bugzilla access and general web browsing
mail/thunderbird - mailing lists and general e-mail

Plus various doc generating tools, GNU versions of base tools, build tools like autotools. I wouldn't call any of them "preferred".

Back