Preferred tools/packages

Tools i do use often:
audio/abcde - Front-end shell script to encode CDs in flac/mp3/ogg/speex format.
audio/mixertui - Audio mixer with a Terminal User Interface built on the FreeBSD sound system.
ftp/filezilla - FTP Client. I do use it mostly for transferring files to the phone.
games/homura - Wine-based Game Launcher.
misc/qt5ct - Configure Qt 5 settings (theme, font, icons, etc.) under DE/WM without Qt integration.
ports-mgmt/portlint - Verifier for FreeBSD port directory.
ports-mgmt/poudriere - Port build and test system
x11/antimicro - Graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad.

postgresql, php, apache, openssh-server, phppgadmin, vim, libreoffice, gimp, sysutils/automount, firefox, mate

Chainsaws,
Those are very useful. We have probably a half dozen at home. A few months ago, only 2 were working, and our son started getting anxiety attacks.

Weed whackers: in a moment I'll go to the machine shop in the basement, and sharpen the saw blade on the trimmer.

Tractors: For many jobs, a small one (like the Ford 7120) are convenient; for big jobs, we borrow a Cat or Massey-Ferguson from the neighbors. For digging, nothing beats an excavator, but our whole neighborhood shares one, and it's not very big.

Chippers: The bigger the better. The current neighborhood shared one is an old "Eeger Beever" with an 80HP engine; for half the year, we can borrow a much larger one (can take 30cm = 12 in trees in one piece) with a 160 or 180 HP diesel.

We're thinking of buying a small crane; not on a truck, but on a crawler chassis (with tracks, like a bulldozer). Probably an Antec DB-37, if we can get a used one at a decent price.

ralphbsz I used to own 127 acres in the Missouri Ozarks. Everyone had a tractor but me. My brother-in-law got me a used tractor that worked three times and never worked again.

I would go there as often as I could and just sit in the house and do nothing but stare or walk the trails. But I was the only one who would go and I felt I was just tying it up and someone else could get better use of it so I sold. Sometimes I wish I didn't.

I used to host one of the largest airsoft games in the country there. That was a blast but exhausting.

Back