Also, PR is ambiguous.

To me, before I got more involved with FreeBSD, PR always meant pull request – Git and other contexts. <https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=f7c32ed617858bcd22f8d1b03199099d50125721> as an example of a FreeBSD commit using the phrase.

I reckon, the tip for the bug icon (below) should become Bugzilla bug report or Bugzilla reference or something.

1641071536027.png

Anything other than Problem Report, basically. And think about using an in-text abbreviation that's something other than PR.

PR (pointing to a bug report) is actually a well known nomenclature for people around FreeBSD. I can see that it could be ambiguous for newcomers, but it is used all around the commit logs, committers and I believe other FreeBSD related resources as well. My opinion is changing it on forums to something else ain't going to be very productive.

To me, before I got more involved with FreeBSD, PR always meant pull request
And to us, who've been using FreeBSD for longer than git even exists, it means Problem Report. Context is everything. Ambiguous naming conventions are going to happen. Try DRM (Digital Rights Management) vs. DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) for example. I can name a whole bunch of others.

How about Public Relations, Public Records, or Pointer Record? As SirDice says,
Context is everything.
This is a user forum, and it's supposed to be a resource to make FreeBSD easier to learn and use. Some things have a higher degree of complexity than others. But I do think that specialty nomenclature like "PR coding" deserves some attention. If this were a dev forum/email list, then yeah, I can see that participants are expected to learn the specialty nomenclature (for effective participation). But for a user forum - hmmm...

Could it be called Issue Report or User Report? I prefer to say "Issue". Many years ago, I set up a Bugzilla for other staff to report technical problems or issues. It soon because a mess because each person had their own idea of how to do bug tracking. I had to lock it so that only Problem Report was usable. Then I had to interview each person to understand what the problem meant. Next I would move it from Problem Report to a specific category. A new tracking system can quickly devolve unless it has a devoted manager.

Could it be called Issue Report or User Report? I prefer to say "Issue". Many years ago, I set up a Bugzilla for other staff to report technical problems or issues. It soon because a mess because each person had their own idea of how to do bug tracking. I had to lock it so that only Problem Report was usable. Then I had to interview each person to understand what the problem meant. Next I would move it from Problem Report to a specific category. A new tracking system can quickly devolve unless it has a devoted manager.
This sounds so much like my work that I can only sigh. 😩

Back