Solved Ports in jail after upgrade: Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended

Hi I recently upgraded my system from 11.0 to 11.1. I also upgraded my jails with ezjail per this guide, basically using ezjail-admin update.

However, now when I tried to install a port inside a jail, I got this error:

Code:
[INDENT][root@jail_foo /usr/ports/www/node]# make install clean[/INDENT]
[INDENT]/!\ ERROR: /!\[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are[/INDENT]
[INDENT]guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining[/INDENT]
[INDENT]ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]*** Error code 1[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]Stop.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]make[1]: stopped in /basejail/usr/ports/www/node[/INDENT]
[INDENT]*** Error code 1[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT]Stop.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]make: stopped in /basejail/usr/ports/www/node[/INDENT]

However, I made sure the jail is actually upgraded by running following commands from inside the jail:

Code:
[INDENT][root@jail_foo /usr/ports/www/node]# uname -rma[/INDENT]
[INDENT]FreeBSD jail_foo 11.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14 06:12:40 UTC 2017     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][root@jail_foo ~]# freebsd-version -u[/INDENT]
[INDENT]11.1-RELEASE-p6[/INDENT]
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][root@jail_foo ~]# freebsd-version -k[/INDENT]
[INDENT]freebsd-version: unable to locate kernel[/INDENT]

Any hint?

Just ran this commands from jail:

Code:
[root@tiddly ~]# uname -U
[root@tiddly ~]# uname -K

Does that mean my userland is 11.0? Strange - why `freebsd-version -u` says "11.1-RELEASE-p6" ? Anyways, this inconsistency doesn't seem right. How should I fix this?

I found and solved the problem. It turns out that I misinterpret the instruction of ezjail update -U -s <source_os_version>, where the source_os_version should be the ORIGINAL jail version, not the target version that you want to update to. After I fixed this problem, my jails appear to be in a consistent state now.

Back