Ports huh? What are the advantages and do they outweigh the disadvantages?

This is a perennial question in my mind and also in the forums. What's driving me to ask it again is that I've recently spent some time doing Gentoo and there, I can easily see the tradeoffs - Gentoo allows the admin FULL control over the system and is very minimal and peppy, yet as cutting edge as desired, when compared to other distros that don't like you to mess with this, or that and they drag in sooo many dependencies, all built for every architecture and bloated. MX and Mint are very well integrated, but both are opinionated, Gentoo is, a little bit, but not much. The docs are great and the community friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The only real downside... it takes forever to build stuff. I suppose if you spent a year figuring out exactly what you wanted, you could then build it over a week, and use it until you need update, then more building. It's horrible, honestly. So, ultimate customizabilty and very machine optimized code at the cost of endless hours of compiling. I'd say the learning curve is high, but nowadays, I'm used to it, so it doesn't seem bad. I've kept it on my older laptop, but will be putting FreeBSD back on the newer one, so I've bought into its advantages on the one hand, but not on the other. I'm not sold on it, but it's got appeal. I'm on the fence... But that's Gentoo, I'm actually curious about FreeBSD :).

So, if you know ports and gentoo, is there significant common ground that they're kinda like each other, or are there significant differences - either in tasks performed or in outcomes that they are worlds apart? And, what drives you to choose ports and is it all compile and wait, 7 days a week, or what? Maybe I'm over simplifying things, what are the actual advantages/disadvantages? More than just speed/customizability vs compile cycling all the time?

A port is a set of files that describe how to download upstream distfiles (i.e. "source code") and how to compile them and package them. A port is basically a recipe. This may also contain local patches to make upstream actually build on FreeBSD.
Ports it the collection of multiple of these ports, i.e. the "recipe book".
Packages are built from ports. If you pkg install you're installing the package that was previously compiled from a port. Those may come from the official FreeBSD build servers. But those servers are compiling the same ports that you'd compile yourself.

And, what drives you to choose ports
  1. Wanting different options than the default options
  2. Security
  3. Flexing
  4. As a ports committer you're constantly building ports anyway
Personally, I care little about "machine optimized". That is mostly ricing for day-to-day computer use on modern hardware. See https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/by-others/funroll-loops/Gentoo-is-Rice.html

and wait, 7 days a week, or what?
My build server runs 32 CPU cores and 256 GB RAM. Not much waiting.

I'd say the learning curve is high
I found compiling your own packages to be much easier and lower effort on FreeBSD than your typical Linux distro.
poudriere(8) rocks.

That being said, not all applications do have cpu detection and can benefit greatly from CPUFLAGS (-march=). A relatively common library is fftw3 which this applies to given your cpu supports AVX or newer instructions sets.

So, if you know ports and gentoo, is there significant common ground that they're kinda like each other, or are there significant differences - either in tasks performed or in outcomes that they are worlds apart? And, what drives you to choose ports and is it all compile and wait, 7 days a week, or what? Maybe I'm over simplifying things, what are the actual advantages/disadvantages? More than just speed/customizability vs compile cycling all the time?
Packages have to come somewhere. Somebody has to build the packages. On way is to let someone else to build packages for you and another way is to build them by yourself. Both approaches have some benefits, depending on purpose. But in general, it is hard to build all packages generic so that one-size-fits-all. Some options are mutually exclusive in some packages, CPU flags were already discussed. Also, the fresh ports appear first. Someone who needs the latest update can also benefit from building from ports. I all depends.
The same applies to the kernel.

As a basic user who does not own dozen machines, it's far simpler and quicker to use compiled packages.

You may have sometimes to compile one port or another (e.g. change of FreeBSD minor version and unusable third-party kernel modules) but it's rare.

So, if you know ports and gentoo, is there significant common ground that they're kinda like each other, or are there significant differences - either in tasks performed or in outcomes that they are worlds apart?

Ports is a BSD invention; which Gentoo reimplemented for their distribution. Jordan Hubbard (FreeBSD co-founder, ex-Apple) created the framework and first makefiles when he started the project. It all goes back to BSD.

Packages are built from ports. If you pkg install you're installing the package that was previously compiled from a port. Those may come from the official FreeBSD build servers. But those servers are compiling the same ports that you'd compile yourself.
Good concise description. Missing one important item:
Configuration. This was touched on by Argentum I'm going to try and expand on it hopefully without adding confusion.

Every port (or at least the vast majority of them) has a "configure" step. This step lets you pick and choose which options you want to build the application with. Every configuration has default settings; these defaults are fine for most people, so they never touch them but others don't like them so they have to tweak them.
Packages that are built by the project are built with the default configuration, so using binary packages "you take what you get".
Some ports have "flavours": same source code, but explicitly built with different options. A good example of this is the PDF reader evince:
pkg search evince evince-43.1_8 GNOME multi-format document viewer evince-lite-43.1_8 GNOME multi-format document viewer without GNOME dependencies
If you use GNOME based desktop, you pkg install evince and you get a bigger download plus GNOME integration. If you don't use GNOME, you pkg install evince-lite and you get a smaller download plus fewer dependencies.
Flavours are good, but you are still depending on someone else to choose configuration options suitable for you.

Ports infrastructure (poudriere) I believe lets you store/maintain the configuration you choose so that you can always rebuild the ports you use with the options you want. A lot of work to do that, but for some it's worth it.

Even if you have a single system, it's a good exercise to download a ports tree, corresponding to your package source (quarterly or latest), pick a package you normally use and run through the make fetch, make configure and make steps. Don't do a make install. Going through the process really helps one understand what happens.

This makes me wonder. Are "flavors" only available by ports? Are there "flavored" packages?

Flavors
"Official" packages are made from the ports tree using the default configuration. Flavors are a port, with specific configuration options. So the answer is "yes" flavors are available in both the ports tree (source) and packages.
Here's the output of searching the ports tree for evince using the web interface of the project:

Adding a bit of background, ports indeed were THE (only, short of manually compiling/installing directly from upstream sources) way to install 3rd-party software on a BSD system. They always offered some flexibility in allowing build-time configurations ... the mechanisms for that (port options, default-versions, flavors, ...) were constantly added, refined, improved.

For packages, you always need some package building framework. Ports were already there, so they were used ... first in a very simple way creating the packages from the files actually installed to the live system by the ports, later adding "staging" (install everything in some isolated directory and build the package from there). Ports kept their build-time configurability ... most package-building frameworks for Linux distributions can't offer that, except Gentoo which copied the ports idea.

decuser as already mentioned, forget the idea of "optimized" builds for most software, the cases where this will have some relevant effect are indeed special. The IMHO "sane" reason to build a port yourself rather than installing the binary package is exactly if you need the build-time configurability because you want something different than in the port's default config.

Nowadays, if you need to build from ports, I'd always recommend to build your own package repository using ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel and use pkg(8) to actually install these packages. This also gives you the possibility to pull pre-built packages into your repository, if they won't be any different than what you would build locally, poudriere can decide that automatically.

And, what drives you to choose ports and is it all compile and wait, 7 days a week, or what? Maybe I'm over simplifying things, what are the actual advantages/disadvantages? More than just speed/customizability vs compile cycling all the time?
I used to compile ports locally but that felt like a waste of time. Now I mainly use pkgs. If you want to run the most recent checked-in ports or you want something other than the default config, use ports. Otherwise pkgs are good enough.

Great answers folks, I've learned a lot reading through them. I always thought of the choice as binary - either you run ports or you run packages and I think that may still be advisable for the most part, but the bits about installing your own packages that you build from ports, that's intriguing and interesting to me. Kinda in between doing pure ports and pure packages, but not quite the same thing as running one and mixing in a few of the other.

As somebody who generally uses pkg, with an occasional build from source foray, I really like the idea of using pkg for stuff and then, occasionally, or to learn more about a package, building it from source and installing it using pkg. Is that a problem waiting to happen or is it ok? I know building and installing from source is problematic, but I still do it every so often and manually clean up when problems arise. Does installing a package I've built from ports have the same sorts of issues, or does my custom-package just join the pkg world and get magically managed?

does my custom-package just join the pkg world and get magically managed?
Commands cd /usr/ports<category>/<portname> && make install clean will give you exactly the same result as pkg install <category>/<portname>, namely an installed package. The packages will be identical if you didn't change the source or config options of the port. You can use [pkg version ...[/cmd] in both cases to see if updating is needed.
That's why ports are a great enhancement to packages. It's a standard way to build applications with which you can finetune your system.

it takes forever to build stuff. I suppose if you spent a year figuring out exactly what you wanted, you could then build it over a week, and use it until you need update, then more building. It's horrible, honestly. So, ultimate customizabilty and very machine optimized code at the cost of endless hours of compiling.
Sounds quite like I am using FreeBSD. Yes it takes time, thats why I'm glad I got that cheap 20-core.
So what's the advantage - purely from what one can do with the system, maybe there is none. But there is another thing: that I am in control of my environment, that I know how *I* built it.
It's like the difference, if you live in a house that you have built with your own hands, or a rented appartment. Maybe the difference is not in certain technical features, but in self-esteem. And that has an impact not only on computers, but on the entire life.

Gentoo's Portage was inspired by FreeBSD's ports, decuser ... FreeBSD is the OG here...

I use ports because I often disagree with the options that get baked into pre-compiled packages. With ports, I can change the options if I want to - something that I lose if I use packages.

This makes me wonder. Are "flavors" only available by ports? Are there "flavored" packages?

Flavors
yeah, there are - just compile a port's flavor. An example would be sienna_cichlid flavor for amdgpu. :p

For normal users there is no need these days to use ports directly. Think of ports as if they were RPM spec files. Ports do the same thing in FreeBSD. FreeBSD uses a port/package called poudriere to build packages.

Those who want to build their own packages can do so. People can still build their packages through ports directly, though that is less supported than binary packages, because users can do dumb things like set options that create circular dependencies. It's impossible to support circular dependencies -- the reason why I tell people to use packages. Because, I've had too many PRs (bugs) in my queue having to explain to someone not do do "that" because it "hurts" them. If at all possible use binary packages and leave ports for poudriere and to those who enjoy tinkering.

cy@, I'm prolly not gonna be opening any PR's anytime soon, even if I'm naive enough to try circular dependencies. I tinker, but I've never quite seen the need to do things with packages that they don't do naturally. Sure, I've occasionally had the need to mess with a delivered package (I seem to recall python not coming with tcl configure in), but that's pretty rare. I'll stick with packages for the time being, but I was curious.

I wouldn't mind an SVG enabled flavor of JWM in packages. Most *.desktop files include SVG icons. How does one request that?
E-Mail the maintainer with a solid argument and then let it go no matter whether they'll do it or not.

Choice of default options can have many reasons such as:
  • Just subjective preference of the maintainer
  • Preventing pulling in a bunch of dependencies
  • Preventing arch restrictions from trickling through the tree
  • Preventing obscure dependencies to ports which may or may not be poorly maintained or abandoned by upstream
  • Security
  • POLA

Reactions: mer
For normal users there is no need these days to use ports directly.
Haha, what's a normal user?
If it's a end-user with a single workstation graphical desktop, then there is no need (and probably neither the necessary compute power) to compile locally.
But, if you run your own webserver, your own nameserver, your own application servers, mailservers, VPN servers and so on (and to me it feels very normal to do so ;) ), then comes a point where some things need patching to fit in the environment.

I have 2600 packages build from ports on my system.
In my make.conf i have settings to tune the system. For instance i use mariadb instead of mysql.
Or using sndio instead of pulseaudio. etc ...

I wouldn't mind an SVG enabled flavor of JWM in packages. Most *.desktop files include SVG icons. How does one request that?
Yeah, if you run pkg info x11-wm/jwm | grep SVG, it will show you SVG=off... this is an argument for learning how to work with ports.

I have run into circular deps myself, and learned to deal with them myself... Just turn off one offending port option. And, it's easier to set your own option than to email the port maintainer. I don't think that port maintainers are seriously bored enough to entertain requests like that...

Most likely, you'll get a reply to the tune of 'Everybody else is OK with the defaults specified by make config, so leave me alone. If you're not happy with the defaults, either learn how to compile the port for yourself, find another port, or another OS'...

I learned to work with ports because in FreeBSD, it's MUCH easier to adjust compilation options via make config than in Linux. I like to bring up multimedia/vlc as an example - on FreeBSD, default compilation options used to not include subtitle support. On Linux, precompiled VLC packages suffered from other issues. Other distros turned on different flags for compiling VLC. I got tired of looking for a distro that had the perfect version of VLC compiled with all the options I want. Figuring out how to get in touch with distro's packagers - that was another wild goose chase that ultimately proved fruitless. But on FreeBSD - I got the badly needed flexibility. Yeah, the VLC package is compiled with pretty minimal options enabled. BUT with ports, I can do some pretty minimal work - and get VLC compiled with all the options turned on, which is what I'm after.

Great answers folks, I've learned a lot reading through them. I always thought of the choice as binary - either you run ports or you run packages and I think that may still be advisable for the most part, but the bits about installing your own packages that you build from ports, that's intriguing and interesting to me. Kinda in between doing pure ports and pure packages, but not quite the same thing as running one and mixing in a few of the other.

As somebody who generally uses pkg, with an occasional build from source foray, I really like the idea of using pkg for stuff and then, occasionally, or to learn more about a package, building it from source and installing it using pkg. Is that a problem waiting to happen or is it ok? I know building and installing from source is problematic, but I still do it every so often and manually clean up when problems arise. Does installing a package I've built from ports have the same sorts of issues, or does my custom-package just join the pkg world and get magically managed?
It's not problematic. Sometimes you can run in a small issue. Then you have to do a "make config" of that specific port to set or unset an option.

I share you my poudriere make.conf. It's not perfect but works fine for me.
cat make.conf
Code:
BATCH=yes
CPUTYPE?=alderlake
MTREE_FOLLOWS_SYMLINKS= -L
OPENSSLBASE=/usr/local
WITHOUT_CCACHE_BUILD=yes
WITHOUT_MANCOMPRESS=yes

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= mysql=10.11m
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= java=17
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= ssl=openssl31
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= pgsql=16