allow.nomount;
    mount.devfs;
    host.hostname = "$name.jail.plex";
    mount.fstab = "/etc/fstab.plex"
    ip4 = inherit;
    ip6 = inherit;
    allow.raw_sockets;
}

This is on FreeBSD 13.1. It's a barebones install, with no firewall, DHCP networking, very basic setup. I chose to use inherit as I've spent the whole day messing around with ezjail and VNET, and I couldn't find anything that actually worked - it just made me want to pull my hair out. The fstab entry mounts my media to /content within the jail, and it successfully mounts.

Within the jail, I ran:

Code:
pkg install plexmediaserver
(added it to /etc/rc.conf)
service plexmediaserver start
service plexmediaserver status

And it told me that plexmediaserver wasn't running. Not a single log in the Plex config directory, and nothing was actually created there aside from the "Plex Media Server" folder. No relevant logs are populated anywhere, from what I can see.

I've tried rebooting the jail, rebooting the host, re-setting up the jail - no dice. I'd really appreciate some help, or even just pointers into the right direction. Thank you!

Try adding ip4.addr += "lo1|127.0.0.1/32"; to "plex" section in your /etc/jail.conf. Also, there might be log files in /usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs.

Try adding ip4.addr += "lo1|127.0.0.1/32"; to "plex" section in your /etc/jail.conf. Also, there might be log files in /usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Logs.

I tried that, and it hasn't worked I'm afraid. The output of ls -la "/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/" is:

Code:
root@plex:/ # ls -lla "/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/"
total 1
drwxr-xr-x  2 plex  plex   2 Jun 27 16:33 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  4 Jun 27 16:33 ..
root@plex:/ #

Have you tried to run Plex manually? You can trace what its startup script does by running jexec plex, then sh -x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver start. Perhaps starting Plex in console might shed some light on the issue, maybe some error will surface.

Have you tried to run Plex manually? You can trace what its startup script does by running jexec plex, then sh -x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver start. Perhaps starting Plex in console might shed some light on the issue, maybe some error will surface.

I can't seem to see anything erroneous in there, although I'm not too sure what I'm looking for in this case. The first lines look irrelevant, so I'll post everything past the environment variable exporting:

Code:
+ export 'PATH=/usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Resources/Python/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/root/bin'
+ export 'LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8'
+ export 'LANG=en_US.UTF-8'
+ ulimit -s 3000
+ [ ! -d /var/run/plex ]
+ [ ! -d '/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server' ]
+ [ ! -d /usr/local/plexdata/Plex ]
+ [ ]
+ _return=0
+ [ 0 -ne 0 ]
+ check_required_after start
+ local _f _args
+ return 0
+ return 0
+ startmsg 'Starting plexmediaserver.'
+ check_startmsgs
+ [ -n '' ]
+ return 0
+ echo 'Starting plexmediaserver.'
+ [ -n '' ]
+ _cd=''
+ _doit='/usr/sbin/daemon  -f /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server'
+ [ -n plex ]
+ _doit=$'su -m plex -c \'sh -c "/usr/sbin/daemon  -f /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server"\''
+ [ -n '' ]
+ [ -n '' ]
+ _doit=$' limits -C daemon  su -m plex -c \'sh -c "/usr/sbin/daemon  -f /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server"\''
+ _run_rc_doit $' limits -C daemon  su -m plex -c \'sh -c "/usr/sbin/daemon  -f /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server"\''
+ debug $'run_rc_command: doit:  limits -C daemon  su -m plex -c \'sh -c "/usr/sbin/daemon  -f /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server"\''
+ eval $' limits -C daemon  su -m plex -c \'sh -c "/usr/sbin/daemon  -f /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server"\''
+ limits -C daemon su -m plex -c 'sh -c "/usr/sbin/daemon  -f /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server"'
+ _return=0
+ [ 0 -ne 0 ]
+ return 0
+ _run_rc_postcmd
+ [ -n '' ]
+ return 0
+ [ -n '' ]
+ return 0

There is + debug 'pid file (/var/run/plex/plex.pid): not readable.' as well, but I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Would you try to run jexec plex, su -m plex, then /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server (as "plex" user)? You might have to copy & run export ... lines first.

Would you try to run jexec plex, su -m plex, then /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server (as "plex" user)? You might have to copy & run export ... lines first.
I ran this in sh, and although I exported everything (most importantly, LD_LIBRARY_PATH) it's still spitting out this error:

Code:
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libsoci_core.so" not found, required by "Plex_Media_Server"

It's definitely present in /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/lib so it may just be an issue with how I set it up.

Hi, same for me. I´m not running plex in a jail.
In the start script I removed the -f flag for daemon to see more output.
Added in the rc.d start script for plex a "set|grep LD_LIBRARYA_PATH" - output ist correct. PATH is correct.
Still says:
service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/share/plexmediaserver-plexpass/lib
Starting plexmediaserver_plexpass.
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libsoci_core.so" not found, required by "Plex_Media_Server"

Any news about this?

Seems to work just fine:
Code:
root@plex:~ # pkg version -vRx plex
Updating dicelan repository catalogue...
dicelan repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
plexmediaserver-1.28.1.6092        =   up-to-date with remote
root@plex:~ # service plexmediaserver status
plexmediaserver is running as pid 97115.
root@plex:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD plex.dicelan.home 13.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p1 GENERIC amd64

Hmm, I'm wondering what the difference is between multimedia/plexmediaserver and multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass besides the version numbers.

After a bit of digging, it seems the -plexpass version is a beta release. So I would suggest just using 'regular' version instead. It's not that far fetched to assume a beta version has issues. Also, keep in mind that the Plex software is a pre-compiled binary built by Plex themselves.

SirDice is correct about the -plexpass version is a beta release as well as being a pre-compiled binary. But you don't have to run the -plexpass version to enjoy the other benefits of having purchased a plexpass. As the current maintainer for the plexmediaserver and -plexpass ports and the purchaser of a lifetime plexpass, personally, I have never run a -plexpass version before it was released to everyone on any of my servers.

Back