Please create a -current forum

You sure don't understand your basics: CURRENT is "broken by design",

… <https://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/freebsd-current.html>

There are 35 matches for "break" on that page. I only looked at a couple.

Jose: thanks for looking. No match for this word:
  • design
– FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT is not broken by design.

More than four years ago, there was discussion of a design flaw.

Intel CPU, not FreeBSD CURRENT:

1643953562713.png

I don't know if you're being difficult on purpose or not. One last answer in case you're not.

As others have mentioned, the Handbook itself sets the expectation that current might not even build and may bring disaster when it does. The mailing list is full of examples of disasters of varying magnitude.

The kernel in current has the witness(4) option enabled by default, despite the performance penalty it brings. It's also compiled with the GDB option turned on, unlike kernels from all other branches. Why? Because it is expected you'll encounter locking problems and panics when running current. I did.

What you won't find in the mailing list or the Handbook or anywhere else are any proposals to fix any of these things in current. That is because breakage is expected. There's nothing to fix.

… disaster …

With respect, things are going round in circles. For the third time:

Extremely unlikely, if there's sensible use of ZFS boot environments, and boot environments are not peculiar to CURRENT; they're widely recommended.

I don't know if you're being difficult on purpose …

I'm not. There is unreasonable hostility towards discussion of FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT.

The exclusionary tactics sometimes found in FreeBSD Forums are disappointing.

Extremely unlikely, if there's sensible use of ZFS boot environments, and boot environments are not peculiar to CURRENT; they're widely recommended.
What if the disaster involves changes in the ZFS kernel code? Or do you think there are never bugs in that code?

Yes, you're going in circles and mainly talking to yourself at this point. Enjoy!

There is unreasonable hostility towards discussion of FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT.

do you think there are never bugs

In response to unreasonable hostility:

Yes, yes, yes. The sky is falling. Disaster. Everybody, panic. Panic, with three or more exclamation marks!!! and whilst panicking, repeat to oneself, over and over: disaster. Disaster. Disaster!!! PANIC!!!!!

Alternatively: do not panic.

Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 06-37-25 FreeBSD Handbook.png

If we have a subforum for current, most questions posted there should be answered with "either isolate the bug and post it on the mailing list, or stop using current".
That's somewhat hostile and dismissive.
I noticed this earlier, and I didn't feel like commenting then. It doesn't look hostile though, but I can see how it can be seen as something like that.

It's consensus that CURRENT is for testing, because it's unstable due to new features. CURRENT is for those who really can test what they're doing without needing much help. For the forum, it's a loose rule, but everyone will remind that the mailing lists and bug reports are more helpful than the forum for that. There's some instances where CURRENT can be discussed, like for new features, but generally, not for help, unless it's a generic problem, or a ports-like problem, or asking about how to get a particular piece of hardware to work.

I'll admit, CURRENT is too advanced for me. I can see discussing it about new features, and for those who can do the bulk of their troubleshooting with it, then telling us about their experience with that on the forums. It would be something like, what can what can NetBSD, OpenBSD or DragonflyBSD do, but with slightly more leeway for FreeBSD CURRENT, which other BSD's aren't allowed for there to be asking for troubleshooting. For comparing desktops, there's more use for comparing FreeBSD that's not CURRENT to other BSD's. For comparing hardware, I can see comparing FreeBSD CURRENT to supported versions. The other reason I see for discussing CURRENT in the forums is if a feature of it is written about in the FreeBSD Journal, other online magazine or other place.

I've used CURRENT before, but not as a professional system, and years before I signed on to the forums, although I did use the search engines to learn how to get it to work, which the answers were in the forums. The answers I needed were common among CURRENT, STABLE and production versions. This was before I understood well enough of CURRENT's purpose. STABLE is the place for a newbie who wants the newest features: I've used STABLE before too. For anyone who doesn't want to recompile their base system every month, the best thing to use is the supported version, where a binary update will fix this, and you can then compile your custom kernel on top of that.

One thing I've gotten wrong in the past with using either CURRENT or STABLE, is that I didn't realize when I manually compiled the base system, I left the kernel behind, until I looked back on it. My system worked, but it wasn't upgraded properly at the time.

The kernel in current has the witness(4) option enabled by default, despite the performance penalty it brings. It's also compiled with the GDB option turned on, unlike kernels from all other branches. Why? Because it is expected you'll encounter locking problems and panics when running current. I did.
That's interesting.
What you won't find in the mailing list or the Handbook or anywhere else are any proposals to fix any of these things in current. That is because breakage is expected. There's nothing to fix.
There is eventually something to fix in CURRENT. Whether it involves removing that piece entirely.

Maybe not hostile, but it's binary, which is wrong.
You are right, I described the world as black and white.

There are indeed extremes. Non-expert users, who don't have the knowledge or the desire to debug software that is inherently unstable: Please do not use current. By helping these users, we only prolong their suffering; the right thing to do is to move them to release as quickly as possible. This is particularly true if newbies are using current because of (Linux-based ...) preconceptions that current is somehow "better", which is completely untrue in the FreeBSD development workflow. Those newbies need to be taught that if you want to use FreeBSD, you need to understand it well enough to use it correctly. I actually think FreeBSD newbies should use the forum, and we should try to help them when they run into issues; but the correct help for using current is: make them reinstall.

Other extreme: Experts, who are volunteering to test an alpha version. By all means use current. If you find something, gather as much data as possible, do root cause analysis, and post your findings to the appropriate channels to reach developers who can triage the thing you found, and if it is a bug, put it in the queue to get fixed. Those people don't need the forum for help, and posting here about problems with current is just useless chatter. There is nothing wrong with these experts participating in the forum (on the contrary, it is great to have experienced people with knowledge of internals here), but the average users who form the bulk of the forum won't be able to help them with their volunteer debugging task.

There are cases in the middle. For example volunteers who are testing ports on the new version (but not testing the current version itself). Or experienced users who are capable of debugging, and need to use current because of hardware support. They may encounter problems, and not know whether those problems are specific to running current, or simply common problems that happen to have caught up to them. One thing is common to this group in the middle is that they have to be able to do debugging without getting help, meaning have enough experience, patience, and time to gather data. They don't want their problem to be solved, but they may need assistance with the process of isolating the problem. But I think those cases are rare. I think if someone posts "I have this funny problem, which seems very weird, and I'm using current for good reason X, but I don't know whether this funny problem has anything to do with current, or is a long-standing bug, or pilot error on my part", that in such a case we should take them seriously and help them. Unfortunately, the help will often be: Reinstall with release, and see whether the problem is still there.

I think in summary, SirDice's policy of "no support for current here" is close enough to correct (perhaps 95% correct) that we can use it as the default, with rare exceptions handled using common sense.

I think in summary, SirDice's policy of "no support for current here" is close enough to correct (perhaps 95% correct) that we can use it as the default, with rare exceptions handled using common sense.
Not on here, but when there are rare exceptions to something that belongs, it keeps getting continuously challenged, and eventually pushed to get removed at a future time on venues where it can be, after its case was made for why it belongs. Comments in a forum relevant to topic which often can be opinion are treated differently than another cooperative venue which has 1 version of a text. On here, someone may explain why they posted it (sometimes that they're aware or have become aware of the rule), and others continue to repeat mentioning the guideline. This shows that usually, a more clear guideline is needed, one that takes into account those exceptions. For instance, what exceptions can CURRENT be discussed, to what extent, and (which is already often done) when it can be discussed without expecting much from here, obviously not for asking for troubleshooting for those who don't have enough experience to do a bulk of it on their own. It's true though, that usually there's not a lot of value for posting CURRENT in here, except for select circumstances.

Let's say that a CURRENT forum were created, it would need the clear guideline for exceptions. Then, most on it, would belong in other sections, and the section would be so small, that most sections that are even larger than that, don't have their own forum. A clear guideline is needed anyway, and a "CURRENT" tag would better suffice. A "CURRENT" prefix in the title would suffice too, but the problem is, that it often gets replaced with the "SOLVED" prefix.

For example volunteers who are testing ports on the new version (but not testing the current version itself).
Just to make it clear: If you're serious about maintaining and testing a port, you need -CURRENT. I disable all the debugging stuff that's enabled on -CURRENT by default for that purpose because I don't want to slow down the test builds...

But the thing is: A port must always build and work fine on all supported releases plus -CURRENT. Only on a -CURRENT system, you can have poudriere jails for all the versions you have to test.

Still, agree with what you wrote. There are some usecases for -CURRENT that are not directly "bug hunting", and there are some topics that could be on the forums and people could actually benefit from it. But unfortunately, it's quite likely most traffic would be things you don't want here, cause it would be just useless noise....

What if the disaster involves changes in the ZFS kernel code?
That's what the -current tag is for. 😩 THIS is exactly why devs tell everyone to stay away from it, and not use it unless you really know what you're getting into.

I agree with what Zirias here:
There are some usecases for -CURRENT that are not directly "bug hunting", and there are some topics that could be on the forums and people could actually benefit from it. But unfortunately, it's quite likely most traffic would be things you don't want here, cause it would be just useless noise....
Just to reiterate, I am observing a difference between (understanding intents and expectations in the conversation) and (getting frustrated that the conversation is not going your way). I think the latter is a result of either:
  • not understanding the former, or
  • refusing to accept that no, other participants won't let you take control of the conversation.
  • Or even both.
As an analogyI wouldn't go into a bar and start blasting everything from beer to management. I'd go into a bar, order what I want, see what others like, be confident in my choice of booze, etc. If I see others drinking cheap stuff while I go for something expensive - so frigging what. If I were a novice picking a fight over something, I'd quickly end up outside, thrown out by a bouncer. But if I'm a cool customer who knows his booze, his food, and can hold a civil conversation - I can become a 'known face in the bar, he belongs here' guy.

astyle I'm not sure I really understand your analogy 🤔

but just to summarize my thoughts on this request: I would personally like to see an area for -CURRENT on the forums, because I think there's some traffic that could rightfully have a home on here. At the same time, I fear it would attract much more traffic (like, anything about bugs someone is experiencing) that really wouldn't belong here, and telling people to take their topic over to the ML or to create a PR about it over and over again would just get on everyone's nerves 😔

Zirias : In my analogy,
  • FreeBSD project is the bar,
  • Open Source projects like ZFS, DE's, IPC mechanisms, etc. are the booze in that bar,
  • FreeBSD dev team members are the bar staff,
  • Users on this forum are the bar patrons.
I know my analogy has weaknesses and gaps (any analogy does, as a rule). I was just trying to communicate a point about being functional and comfortable in a given place, be it on the Forums or in a bar. No matter the place, telling someone to behave over and over again will get on anyone's nerves.

There is eventually something to fix in CURRENT. Whether it involves removing that piece entirely.
I think I wasn't clear. The individual problems that arise in current do have to be fixed. Sometimes this involves removing a feature entirely, as you point out. You can imagine that approach would not go over well if there were a bunch of people already using that feature. That's another reason why current is not for general use.

What I meant is that the fact that current is often broken doesn't have to be fixed. That is its intended purpose. A place where you can try risky changes because the cost of breaking things is low.

astyle I'm not sure I really understand your analogy 🤔
That must be due to a lack of experience and training. It's Friday in most parts of the world, and often going to drink on Friday night is customary. Tonight, after work go to a bar (in your timezone, that might be in about an hour). It is considered polite to tell one's better half ahead of time. Once in the bar, order a slightly unusual drink. Chat with people, about life, weather, perhaps politics (dangerous topic!), and definitely about what to drink. If you are in a steady relationship, better not chat too much with people of the desirable gender (which can be different for everyone). Have another drink. Ask your new best friend what is good to drink, and try that. Then try something different. And yet another. Go to the bathroom and throw up, because you had one too many. Have a basket of garlic fries. Kiss someone random. Dance a little bit, fall on the floor, and let your new friends carry you back to a chair. Call a taxi and get home in some fashion. Drink several glasses of water. Sleep for a long time, then get up and take a shower. Your Saturday might be a little bit ruined, but that's a worthwhile investment.

Still, agree with what you wrote. There are some usecases for -CURRENT that are not directly "bug hunting", and there are some topics that could be on the forums and people could actually benefit from it.
Actually, I just thought of another sensible use for writing here about current: as a warning to others. For example, you could post in some section of the forum: "Dear users, I'm running current, and when I do ls is the root directory, a purple elephant goes flying across the screen. I've sent e-mail to the developer mailing list, and they confirmed that this is a known bug which will be fixed at some point in the future. I'm just writing this here so that if another user sees a purple flying elephant, they are not alarmed. Please all go on drinking more now."

I think that would be sensible, and I hope that we all know enough to not be obnoxious about reminding the person who wrote this that current is not to be discussed.

To Sidetone's point that we should make an explicit exception in the rule that current is not to be discussed: You might be right. But if everyone applies the rules sensibly (knowing when to complain that people are talking about current, and knowing when to be silent), having that rule be explicit may not be necessary. To a large extent, this is the same as saying: don't be obnoxious.

And to astyle's drink: NICE. Would love to sit there and have one. I lived in Honolulu from 86 to 91 (got my university degree there), but never went to Kailua-Kona (only to Hilo on big island). Just to tell people how much things have changed (inflation): In those days, there was a restaurant in Waikiki that had $1 Mai-Tai's during happy hour, and another bar had $1 pitchers of beer all evening (the former also had decent inexpensive food, the latter was purely a bar, and a great meat market for some people).

I could see something like someone posting describing features from CURRENT. Also, as I've mentioned before, a new feature in CURRENT could be as relevant as a similar feature in the ports tree, as sometimes, a software can shift from ports to CURRENT and back.

Also, about CURRENT, as it's obvious that those features may not make it into STABLE or a production release. Think about all of the obsolete/unsupported FreeBSD versions, and the information on that here on the forums. What doesn't go from CURRENT to STABLE or release is considered irrelevant, as much as what was dropped from an old release. If it's of any value, what was once written about it on the forum is a historical marker of what was temporarily in CURRENT or what used to be in FreeBSD.

If someone knows what they're doing and can do their own debugging/problem solving, seeing posts from them about CURRENT, including on getting something to work there, would be interesting. If someone is running a production system which isn't for testing, or a newbie is trying to work something out, they shouldn't be using CURRENT. If it's a generic problem, that's in both in CURRENT and a supported version, usually having to do with common ports, the forums are often useful enough for getting it to work.

… STABLE is the place for a newbie who wants the newest features: …

Thanks.

jbodenmann please, would you describe STABLE as newbie-friendly? I mean, based on your own learning curve (not on subsequently learnt tips and tricks.) If you prefer to not respond: that's fine.

… I'm seeing a bit of a disconnect between what devs have and what forums have. Some of that disconnect is probably intentional - devs would not want clueless users mucking up the process.

Maybe the future -CURRENT subforum would help to evolve these clueless users to full blown devs. Kind of "FreeBSD development university".

I don't mind describing myself as sometimes clueless, but it's rarely a word that I'd choose to describe any other person or group. Like, everyone has a learning curve (and no single method of teaching, or learning, will suit everyone).

… I described the world as black and white. …

Thanks, my concern was is that a broad range of options were are overlooked. <https://www.freebsd.org/support/> ▶ <https://www.freebsd.org/community/> (and that's nowhere near the full range of options).

Not to be condescending. And I couldn't be, because I was once a new user who used CURRENT and STABLE before. It was of little consequence when I used them, as it worked the way an operating system was intended.

The problems I had to troubleshoot with them were often port related. Once, it was with Xorg, and I had to find out why my keyboard and mouse weren't working, then I found the answer on forums. It was because of a custom setting on by default of empty in one of the Xorg config files. Many answers were found on a search engine and led to these forums.

Around then, there wasn't freebsd-update in the production releases. When I built the world then, it took so long to do, I didn't realize, that while the world was built and installed, I lacked building the kernel, in retrospect. Long after, I stopped having interest with building the world, as I was fascinated with making tweaks to src.conf.

So, actually, I'd recommend for new users to use a supported production release, and not STABLE, only because of freebsd-update, and not for other reasons. If a user wants to play with CURRENT or STABLE, go ahead. STABLE is good, but it requires to build the whole base for updates. If you're for that, then do it. If someone wants to play with a specific feature in CURRENT or STABLE, then do that. When it comes to hardware, especially previously with graphics cards, that was a good reason to try CURRENT or STABLE. Features not related to hardware can likely be installed manually or through ports. Then, I used those versions to try them out, even though I didn't know how to try their capabilities that weren't available in production versions.

Back