Plan 9 from User Space

Hi there,
I successfully installed plan9 through bsd ports but I have no idea how to open it on my system. I would appreciate some guidance in this regard.
Thank you.

Hi there,
I successfully installed plan9 through bsd ports but I have no idea how to open it on my system. I would appreciate some guidance in this regard.
Thank you.

You can either add /usr/local/plan9/bin to PATH.

Or you can prefix the Plan 9 specific command with 9. For example, to run acme, you would do:

9 acme

Or to run the rio X11 clone, then

9 rio

Keep in mind there is a slight use-after-free bug in rio. I have actually submitted a patch earlier today. Annoyingly their CI server is down so I don't know how long it will take for them to accept it. I am tempted to add the patch to the plan9port FreeBSD port (and maybe take up maintainership).

If it is acme you are after, I have also recently added a port called Wily (a pure X11 clone of acme) that you might be interested in:

I have submitted ~8 ports and updates over the weekend, this one is the only one that has not yet peaked interest from the @freebsd.org committers. I suppose such ancient X11 software isn't top of their priority list haha.

I have submitted ~8 ports and updates over the weekend, this one is the only one that has not yet peaked interest from the @freebsd.org committers. I suppose such ancient X11 software isn't top of their priority list haha.
Thank you. I have had success with your recommendations! I am thrilled. I will definately check out your new port and follow keenly this topic. It was Freud who once said that an innovation is not necessarily an advance, and so there is much to be gained from the older software.

I could not find Wily. I did the following search: make search name=wiley. I then tried to apply the patch but was doing it incorrectly. Can you help me with applying it.

I could not find Wily. I did the following search: make search name=wiley. I then tried to apply the patch but was doing it incorrectly. Can you help me with applying it.
Sure. Yeah it is still not yet in the repo. We have to do this manually. Something like the following should do it:

Code:
# git clone --depth 1 https://git.FreeBSD.org/ports.git /usr/ports
# cd /usr/ports
# fetch -owily.diff https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=225432
# git apply wily.diff
# cd editors/wily
# make install

I used Wily some a very long time ago (in '90s). Since 2005 I have been using Acme + p9p (though not from the freebsd port). Recommend watching videos about acme such as A tour of the Acme editor by Russ Cox. Also explore commands in $PLAN9/bin. In particular "g" is very handy. For example you can say g -r 'main(' to get a list of lines with main( in all source files (.c, .cc, .go etc.). You can right click on any line to open the file in a new window with the cursor on the right line.

I typically run acme from a wrapper script that starts out like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if !  9p ls font >&/dev/null
then
    (fontsrv&)
    (plumber&)
fi
You really need the plumber to empower the right click! Another thing to note is that acme's X11 use is very light and you can run it remotely via a forwarded ssh port and still get excellent responsivity.

There are some useful commands in https://github.com/9fans/go/acme.

Keep in mind there is a slight use-after-free bug in rio. I have actually submitted a patch earlier today. Annoyingly their CI server is down so I don't know how long it will take for them to accept it. I am tempted to add the patch to the plan9port FreeBSD port (and maybe take up maintainership).
Did you file an issue?

Looks like mostly brew/homebrew related issues in the last few pull requests that failed. You may wish to make them aware by complaining on the plan9port-dev googlegroup.

Back