pkg update

I usually compile the pkg program from ports, using saved source. Hence, no binary pkg bootstrapping installation is ever needed when I use (personally) archived packages.

Usually, when I decide to use the " pkg install" command to retrieve a package not yet in my personal archives, the " pkg install" command prompts a " pkg update" action (to retrieve repo info) and then installs the new package with no problem.

Occasionally (today was just such an occasion) the pkg update bootstrap seems to work OK, but then the pkg install command fails with "libpkg.so related" errors. Is there only one build of the pkg bootstrap for each architecture? I suppose that's true.

Anyway, when the pkg system is made foobar in the way just described, trying to delete any package results in "checksum mismatch ... original file checksums have changed ... will not delete the package" messages, indicating that every file in every package I want to delete has a changed checksum :-(

I imagine that the errors are misleading ... and it's not really checking anything.

Is there only one build of the pkg bootstrap for each architecture? I suppose that's true.

There should be also pkg-static, which is meant to be independent from shared libraries and therefore immune from errors like those libpkg.so related.

Back