pkg: repository FreeBSD contains packages for wrong OS version: FreeBSD:12:amd64

Restating the original issue is not shifting the goalpost. It simply brings the discussion back to the central question, the availablity of working packages regardless of the OS version.
Well, you can do your research... but based on what I know about FreeBSD, I think you may be stuck compiling the stuff yourself.

FreeBSD does have a git repo that goes way back, so you can get the source code, some instructions, and compile stuff yourself.

I don't think it's out of question that someone, somewhere does have an archived repo of old stuff that you need. If someone like that shows up on these Forums, and you're lucky enough to spot that info - that would be nice. This scenario has the best chance of materializing here on these Forums - rather than anywhere else on the Internet.

Officially, though - it's far easier to find up-to-date stuff. The FreeBSD Foundation is not going to invest effort into maintaining out-of-date software, esp. many versions - that's just too much work, nobody does that, not even Microsoft and Apple.

Restating the original issue is not shifting the goalpost.
"The original issue", also in the title:
Code:
pkg: repository FreeBSD contains packages for wrong OS version: FreeBSD:12:amd64

You refused to do a minor upgrade of your FreeBSD RELEASE version.

Now complaining about some problem in Firefox (well, complain to THEM?) is shifting the goalpost.

The cause of the tab crashes seems to be a bug relating to the builtin auto-updater feature being disabled in the FreeBSD port. The sound issue has a separate cause. Both are reported on bugzilla. Upstream is not going to fix the crash issue in 102esr. The sound issue may or may not get solved.
If you're referring to this bug, I see no indication that it's related to the auto-updater. Also no indication that upstream has said anything about fixing or not fixing anything. Also looks like your crash could not be reproduced. Lastly, there's already a newer version in quarterly:

As the OP I can state with assurance that the context of this thread is the availability of packages for EOL versions, NOT FreeBSD itself. The statements made about the 'ease' and 'painlessness' of 'minor' upgrades simply talk past the issue and pretend that it is something else entirely.

What software gets released in ports and packages IS under FreeBSD's control. The bug in Firefox-esr 102 was reported to upstream several months ago and was released to the unsuspecting FreeBSD user community in April. At that time 102esr was known to be broken and it was known that upstream was not going to fix it. So, why was it released? Why was it not simply skipped? Let me guess: security. Well, if one wants to prevent car theft then destroying the car is one way of securing it.

Note that the OS is up-to-date and supported. It just that the software released through official channels simply does not work properly. That that application was built in such a way as to make impossible the re-installation of the older, working, version is just icing on the cake. FF112 has fixed the tab crash issue. But, that is small comfort for those of us who needsbe work with the esr version.

And a/v sound is still missing from 112.

This message is simply to point out the utter fallacy of the idea that minor updates are without risk and negative consequences.
When I last posted on this thread, either the freebsd.org front page itself or some top-level page contained a warning against doing remote upgrades during the pandemic because they might break things and people may be unable to travel. I was going to post a link to it, but didn't have the time back then and now I can't find it any more. $5 to anyone who can find it.

Back