Pkg package repository using ports-mgmt/poudriere. With or without ZFS.

B

BSDAppentic3

Once I tried to create a jail. I don't know why, but that last time that I do that I needed to reinstall the system.
I think that was because I disconnected the device that I was using where I had the jail.
Since that, I have panic of even try to create one.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

The nice thing about poudriere is that you don't need to worry about all that. It's all automated with just a few commands. I would recommend using it with ZFS though. Without ZFS it is incredibly I/O intense when it spawns new build jails.

OP
OP
K

kpa

Beastie's Twin

I'm back after some time and I intend to update this HOWTO with the latest changes to the ports system and other stuff. It's likely that I'll change this to default to a ZFS setup but offer alternative settings if you don't want to use ZFS. Quite a lot of time has passed and ZFS is now mature enough to be the de facto filesystem in your FreeBSD system.

OP
OP
K

kpa

Beastie's Twin

Updated now to recommend using ZFS as the default configuration and some minor rewrites here and there.

OP
OP
K

kpa

Beastie's Twin

I did some heavy handed editing in certain parts. It turned out that you can no longer register an existing ports tree into poudriere and have poudriere adopt that port tree completely. You have to create a new ports tree if you want poudriere to be able to update it as well.

spork

Quite a lot of time has passed and ZFS is now mature enough to be the de facto filesystem in your FreeBSD system.
I have quite a little collection of FreeBSD instances in the cloud, most of them small, with 1GB of RAM or less. I also have some here and there in VMware where I'm only able to allocate from 4GB to 8GB of RAM. I only use UFS on these as my understanding is that ZFS is not happy/performant when you restrict the ARC down to some tiny amount of RAM.
Has anything changed in that area?

OP
OP
K

kpa

Beastie's Twin

I have quite a little collection of FreeBSD instances in the cloud, most of them small, with 1GB of RAM or less. I also have some here and there in VMware where I'm only able to allocate from 4GB to 8GB of RAM. I only use UFS on these as my understanding is that ZFS is not happy/performant when you restrict the ARC down to some tiny amount of RAM.
Has anything changed in that area?
On those very small systems with 1GBs of RAM it gets a bit tricky to get ZFS working but it can be done with careful tuning and the performance won't be that bad. I would still use UFS as you have done. With 4GBs of RAM however ZFS will work absolutely fine without any tuning and the performance is as good as it gets, you might want to manually limit ARC to about 1GBs out of the 4GBs to guarantee that applications and other parts of the kernel have enough memory available.