Solved "pkg" is hella slow (not internet speed)

Ummm... the FX 8350 is an 8-core processor that does not support multithreading, and it's EOL - processor was released in 2012. Also, 32 GB of RAM - According to the ASRock web site for the mobo, that is generally possible if OP is using 16-GB modules (as opposed to 8 GB).

32 GB - that was theoretical upper limit of what that processor could support when it was released. In practice, probably less RAM is actually 'visible' to the processor. The motherboard - even if it's compatible with the processor, it's still another bottleneck for how much RAM it can support in practice. By comparison, a Threadripper theoretically supports 1 or 2 TB of RAM, but most TRX4 motherboards only support 256 GB of RAM.

OP's build is really pushing the limits here. Theoretically, math of the specs does add up - but in practice, such close alignment requires paying close attention when putting the parts together. Sometimes, it helps to have a spreadsheet, and lay out the specs side by side. PCPartPicker.com can do the compatibility homework for you, but YMMV.

This is a network issue.
The pauses do not happen in the install phase, they happen in the download phase. And the happen before each individual download, consistently. There is no unpacking at that point, the received files are just dumped into /var/cache/pkg.
The download itself is fast, so this is most likely a DNS timeout or delay.
If I watched it properly, You did DHCP for network config (and there was also an error message shown there). Check what you get as the DNS settings (/etc/resolv.conf), and check if these work properly.
Further steps to try:
  • put a known working external resolver in /etc/resolv.conf (e.g. 8.8.8.8)
  • get rid of DHCP and do the network config manually with settings that are known to work
  • check if that interface card has difficulties negotiating linkspeed (some of them do)
  • run a tcpdump and capture what is happening during these pauses

Thank You, this did the trick.

"pkg" is working super fast now.

All I did was adding the code
Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
to the file
Code:
/etc/resolv.conf

Then I ran the code
Code:
/etc/./netstart

Now doing a
Code:
pkg install firefox
is superfast and functioning properly.

View: https://youtu.be/s1_br_UtvoI

Thanks for this fix.

Try adding -4 to the pkg(8) command, do you still get the delay? If the delay is gone it's likely an IPv6 issue.

Code:
     -4      pkg will use IPv4 for fetching repository and packages.

Yes, I have tried this before, did not work. It seems like I had to add "nameserver 8.8.8.8" to "resolv.conf" which did the trick.
Although it seems like it was an unpacking issue, when it really was a DNS issue.
Also I have not setup any IPv6 during the FreeBSD installation, I only set IPv4.

Back