pkg install connection timed out issue

Hello, I have FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p9 running within VMWare machine and using NAT as networking option. The problem is that pkg-install(8) can randomly stuck during the installation. If I break the installation process and invoke again, it will stuck somewhere else. In really rare case it can even install package successfully.

upload_2017-6-15_16-8-36.png

upload_2017-6-15_16-9-36.png

upload_2017-6-15_16-28-51.png

I suffer from this problem for a long time and have already tried every suggestion that I could find:
  • increase "fetch_timeout" to 300sec in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf
  • properly configure resolv.conf
Here my rc.conf and resolv.conf

upload_2017-6-15_16-45-35.png

upload_2017-6-15_16-46-29.png

Interesting, that another instance of FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p2, which was installed in October 2016, has no such problems. Configurations of rc.conf and resolv.conf are almost similar.

I very much doubt the issue is with FreeBSD. I'm more leaning towards issues with VMWare or the network itself.

I very much doubt the issue is with FreeBSD. I'm more leaning towards issues with VMWare or the network itself.
What kind of issues can it be? Besides, the other instance of freeBSD was working perfectly until i updated the system. After update, i've got the similar behavior as the first one have and even rollback not fixed it.

It's just plain HTTP(S) traffic so a tcpdump(1) should show more. If possible I'd also take a look on the gateway, perhaps it's being stalled there.

Back