Solved pefs with ZFS on FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p2

Hi @ll,

Is anyone experiencing any issues with pefs with ZFS on 13.1-RELEASE-p2?

I just upgraded to 13.1-RELEASE-p2, all packages have been upgraded as well.

I'm using pefs to encrypt my home directory, but now I get some really strange behavior on every file operation.

When I login using the console (ttyvX) my home directory gets decrypted, but then strange things start to happen, like:

Code:
# touch dum
# vim dum
enter random character sequence
vim console :wq
"dum" [New] 2L, 20B written
E886: Can't rename viminfo file to /usr/home/tanis/.viminfo
Press ENTER or type command to continue -> Pressed ENTER
# ls dum
-?????????  ? ?      ?              ?               ? dum
# ls -al .dum*
.dum.swp .dum.swpx

If I try to login using X (xdm and XFCE) my home gets decrypted as well, but the file .Xauthority-c gets created in an "infinite loop", and the whole thing can only be stopped by killing the Xorg server. But here is the catch, if I act not fast enough on it, I get a million (no joke!) .Xauthority-c files (all the same filename) in my home directory.o_O

Before, I used 12.3-p7 and everything ran just fine. MrGoogle told me that there had been some issues and a maintainer change from 12 to 13. So is anyone using pefs with ZFS on 13.1-RELEASE-p2 ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

tanis

Issue still persists.

I also tried to build pefs from the ports, same issue.

Can anybody else confirm that issue ?

Thanks facedebouc! 😊

Haaa so that means the upgrade failed somehow 🤪, and for whatever reason I'm not able to boot my 12.3-p7-stable BE, because all modules are not compatible to the kernel any more. 🤨

That honestly sucks a bit here, as this is my daily workstation:'‑(, no time to investigate any further.

One thing though stood out to me, freebsd-update created it's own snapshots in the BE using freebsd-update install, and according to /etc/freebsd-update.conf it seems to be the new default:

# Create a new boot environment when installing patches
# CreateBootEnv yes

If I set that to 'no', am I going to be the only one fumbling around with my system life line ?

Anyhow, guess it's time to walk on, install 13.1-RELEASE and restore my backup. 🤷‍♂️

Back