Palemoon

I found another issue with Palemoon: it does not display contents of files in git repositories at visualstudio.com. Checked with the latest 27.6.2 as well.
Changing the user-agent string doesn't help.

I was just HERE and had no problems negotiating anything or displaying content.
Code:
'use strict';

var perf = require('./vs/base/common/performance');
perf.mark('main:started');

// Perf measurements
global.perfStartTime = Date.now();
<<<<<<<<<<<<snip snip>>>>>>>>>>>>
So your actually landing on the site, but no content is displayed after opening windows? There is 230 lines of code in the above link and if after you click the link you see the repository headers, contributors, and the box with nothing inside? I'd have to say wow, how did you do that? My palemoon is box stock except I added NoScript. Only easiest thing I can think of is your not allowing pop-ups on that page. Sorry, but I've never experienced zero content.

The difference is that I'm talking about visualstudio.com and you ― about github.com.
I'll try to find public content, since I'm working with one required credentials.

I'm getting the following error when building from the ports tree. Any suggestions for fixing it?

Code:
Walking the dog...
[21388 refs]
[24250 refs]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./config.status", line 975, in <module>
    config_status(**args)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/config_status.py", line 135, in config_status
    summary = the_backend.consume(definitions)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/backend/base.py", line 180, in consume
    for obj in objs:
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/emitter.py", line 138, in emit
    for out in output:
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/reader.py", line 911, in read_mozbuild
    raise bre
mozbuild.frontend.reader.BuildReaderError:
==============================
ERROR PROCESSING MOZBUILD FILE

The error occurred while processing the following file:

/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/libyuv/moz.build

The error appears to be part of the mozbuild.frontend.reader Python module itself! It is possible you have stumbled across a legitimate bug.

File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/reader.py", line 907, in read_mozbuild
    descend=descend, metadata=metadata):
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/reader.py", line 1011, in _read_mozbuild
    non_unified_sources = non_unified_sources):
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/gyp_reader.py", line 122, in read_from_gyp
    params=params)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/__init__.py", line 132, in Load
    params['parallel'])
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 2560, in Load
    variables, includes, depth, check, True)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 391, in LoadTargetBuildFile
    build_file_data, PHASE_EARLY, variables, build_file_path)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 1142, in ProcessVariablesAndConditionsInDict
    variables, build_file, 'variables')
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 1149, in ProcessVariablesAndConditionsInDict
    expanded = ExpandVariables(value, phase, variables, build_file)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 881, in ExpandVariables
    (contents, p.returncode))
GypError: Call to '/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd10.3/_virtualenv/bin/python ./build/dir_exists.py ./third_party/platformsdk_win7/files/redist/x86' returned exit status 0. while trying to load /usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/libyuv/libyuv.gyp

[163025 refs]
*** Fix above errors and then restart with\
               "gmake -f client.mk build"
gmake[4]: *** [/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/client.mk:364: configure] Error 1
gmake[4]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release'
gmake[3]: *** [/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/client.mk:376: /usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd10.3/Makefile] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release'
gmake[2]: *** [/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/client.mk:171: build] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release'
===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.
Try to set MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes and rebuild before reporting the failure to
the maintainer.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/www/palemoon
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/www/palemoon

Code:
The error appears to be part of the mozbuild.frontend.reader Python module itself! It is possible you have stumbled across a legitimate bug.

I didn't install www/firefox at all on 3 laptops I rebuilt recently and have been using www/palemoon as my default browser for the past couple weeks.

It's basically an older version of Firefox and I've been using that as my default browser since it made its debut, so the transition was very easy. Browser extension Quantum Strangeness broke were all available in www/palemoon, so I don't see a need to ever go back to www/firefox.

IMO it is not palemoon problem, it is web-sites problem (visualstudio.com, dropbox.com),
you should try to write to its support. All web-sites, that I use or maintain, are working fine with palemoon,
as well as with seamonkey, or firefox, or chromium...

you should try to write to its support
That's true, I also agree it's rather a web-site issue. However, in most cases they simply reply: "We support only Edge, Safari, Firefox and Chrome", just don't want to investigate.

However, in most cases they simply reply: "We support only Edge, Safari, Firefox and Chrome", just don't want to investigate.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0

That's what I'm using. ;)

If you've spoofed your user-agent and enabled all scripting for the site, unless it uses ActiveX, Flash or something it should work for www/palemoon IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trihexagonal , I already mentioned above, spoofing the user-agent string works in some cases, e.g. for citi.com, however, with these two sites (visualstudio.com and dropbox.com) and some others, it doesn't. My phrase you quoted was about filing a complaint to the sites admins: that is how they regularly reply...

I like Palemoon, it works much better than Firefox. Also, some things just work: e.g. Google maps in Palemoon are fully-functional, whereas in Firefox they are always in lite mode, and won't switch to full.

That's why I mentioned Flash. I would think if it works on one site it should work on another unless the mechanism for file transfer is different. I don't have Flash installed and its been an issue for me in the past on some sites using www/firefox.

I'm getting the following error when building from the ports tree. Any suggestions for fixing it?

Code:
Walking the dog...
[21388 refs]
[24250 refs]
  File "./config.status", line 975, in <module>
    config_status(**args)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/config_status.py", line 135, in config_status
    summary = the_backend.consume(definitions)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/backend/base.py", line 180, in consume
    for obj in objs:
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/emitter.py", line 138, in emit
    for out in output:
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/reader.py", line 911, in read_mozbuild
    raise bre
mozbuild.frontend.reader.BuildReaderError:
ERROR PROCESSING MOZBUILD FILE

The error occurred while processing the following file:

/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/libyuv/moz.build

File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/reader.py", line 907, in read_mozbuild
    descend=descend, metadata=metadata):
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/reader.py", line 1011, in _read_mozbuild
    non_unified_sources = non_unified_sources):
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/frontend/gyp_reader.py", line 122, in read_from_gyp
    params=params)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/__init__.py", line 132, in Load
    params['parallel'])
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 2560, in Load
    variables, includes, depth, check, True)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 391, in LoadTargetBuildFile
    build_file_data, PHASE_EARLY, variables, build_file_path)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 1142, in ProcessVariablesAndConditionsInDict
    variables, build_file, 'variables')
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 1149, in ProcessVariablesAndConditionsInDict
    expanded = ExpandVariables(value, phase, variables, build_file)
  File "/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/webrtc/trunk/tools/gyp/pylib/gyp/input.py", line 881, in ExpandVariables
    (contents, p.returncode))
GypError: Call to '/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd10.3/_virtualenv/bin/python ./build/dir_exists.py ./third_party/platformsdk_win7/files/redist/x86' returned exit status 0. while trying to load /usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/media/libyuv/libyuv.gyp

[163025 refs]
*** Fix above errors and then restart with\
               "gmake -f client.mk build"
gmake[4]: *** [/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/client.mk:364: configure] Error 1
gmake[4]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release'
gmake[3]: *** [/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/client.mk:376: /usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd10.3/Makefile] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release'
gmake[2]: *** [/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release/client.mk:171: build] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/palemoon/work/Pale-Moon-27.6.2_Release'
===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.
Try to set MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes and rebuild before reporting the failure to
the maintainer.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/www/palemoon
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/www/palemoon

Code:

Nevermind. I fixed it.

The very and minor few issues I ran into affected only some unimportant badly scripted pages.
After a while of Palemoon usage, I can really say that its subjective annoyance factor is far smaller than modern Firefox.
Which is good for me.
So I am glad I tried it out.

... Google maps in Palemoon are fully-functional, whereas in Firefox they are always in lite mode, and won't switch to full.

I have no problem with full Google Maps in Waterfox 56.0, I should expect the same degree of compatibility with Firefox 56.0.2. For https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ I used Custom UserAgent String to choose the following preset:

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.71 Safari/537.36

2017-12-07 02:34:04.png 2017-12-07 02:38:27 Chanctonbury Ring - Google Maps.png

I've just updated my laptop to 11.1 and installed PaleMoon, together with Firefox 57. The both work fine, Java works in PaleMoon without any additional configuration (cool!). Firefox is faster though.
Thanks a lot to all people worked to bring PaleMoon to FreeBSD!

Back