Solved Online man pages

Hi,
One strange thing: if I search for "gpart" in the online man pages,
I get this: url https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi...+15.1-RELEASE+and+Ports.quarterly&format=html
jo_2026-10-02_14-04-52.png
 
That sounds like something from packages. What happens if you change the dropdown so it looks at just 15.1-RELEASE?
Should the search do release first then ports? It sounds like it's doing ports first then release
 
Seems like the default option is to search the built-in and ports man pages, and it's finding a matching entry for the gpart command in the gmap man page. I guess they must be indexed alphabetically so comes across the gmap page with a match for that command name first.

Maybe it should search built-in commands first, then the ports man pages, but a "work around" is to just choose FreeBSD 15.1-RELEASE in the drop down that doesn't include ports.
 
Ok
Indeed, if the search is only for the relase (without the ports), it's OK I wanted to look at a different medium than the man pages in the shell
Thks all
 
Fortunately it doesn't happen very often, but there is some overlap from commands with the same name. Not that surprising if you have man pages for 35000+ ports, there's bound to be some overlap and conflicts.
 
That's a man page from cad/scotch, it just happens to have a command with the same name as gpart(8); gpart(1) (note the different sections).

Fortunately it doesn't happen very often, but there is some overlap from commands with the same name. Not that surprising if you have man pages for 35000+ ports, there's bound to be some overlap and conflicts.


This wound up being funny to me. I looked at the screenshot in the OP, then did pkg search gmap and got packages related to Genomic Mapping, ocaml gadt, and garmin maps.

I would have never guessed to look for a package named scotch.
 
JohnK
I just tested it, but no, it's not conclusive.

But now on the site, I'm selecting RELEASE by itself, and the page correctly displays the MAN occurrences.
 
JohnK
I just tested it, but no, it's not conclusive.

But now on the site, I'm selecting RELEASE by itself, and the page correctly displays the MAN occurrences.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'conclusive' (or how it relates to me) -i.e., do you need anything from me specifically?

My post was about having mandoc(1) at your fingertips and that mandoc(1) has the ability to produce text, html, markdown, other(s)... But, if you mean my code doesn't work per se; my code doesn't work as it is because I placed an ellipsis in there, for example, but it still should show you the relevant bits. You fill in / change the important bits.
 
portlint should probably at least warn about name clashes in section 1 and 8 against FreeBSD base.
If the search has multiple results, it needs to show a disambiguation page. Or have a *GOOD* algorithm for selecting the closest match, and warning about other matches.

As to the person who designed the new man page website, I would respond with an old German saying: "Setzen, sechs.", meaning "sit down, you get an F" in American English.
 
T-Daemon ralphbsz Good stuff.
I've forgotten about apropos more than once and gotten confused.
Almost seems like if the default was apropos, then the disambiguation page becomes automatic.
 
Back
Top