I was reading about the NoMachines NX server, I think its really nice idea ; Compressed & cached X11 sent over an encrypted tunnel (SSH) . And it looks like it also preformed well even on Dial up connections . But sadly it looks like the hole thing just died ? The net/freenx and the net/nxserver port got deprecated in 2014, and there is not much talk around it in the forums since either . The best alternative currently is X2Go witch is based on NX3 with some improvements but only the clients are available in the ports . Bare X11 forwarding over the internet is just not feasible, Especially now days with most programs just sending bitmaps to the server . Do you know of available alternatives ? (Not VNC or RDP) Or could we port the X2go server ?

Xrdp - it’s in the ports, at least when I last tried it in Feb this year, and it works. Depending on the application there is a slight lack in responding to user interaction, but it’s definitely stable to be used in a production environment. I tested it for almost three months with XFCE.

Back