Notebook / Laptop compatibility list

lme@

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer
If you use FreeBSD on your notebook or want to use it, please take a look at

http://laptop.bsdgroup.de

It has a extensive list of Notebooks / Laptops / Netbooks and can tell you if FreeBSD is compatible with it or not.

Please add your device to this list to help other people making a decision what Notebook to buy or describe what you needed to do to get your device up and running.

Thank you in advance!

The list is actually very very old, but apparently not very very well known. ;)

I personally would like to know how well hardware support for the latest Thinkpad (x,t,w series) notebooks are. For example wirless is intel 6300 and wimax. As well as the touch screen 201 series with dvd-r and battery dock(ThinkPad X200 UltraBase).

Looking for a new laptop in the freebsd world is painful.

vermaden said:
@UNIXgod

About ThinkPad X series, the X300 is fully supported under FreeBSD (everything works).

Thank you for the input. The wireless card in the x300 is a generation off of the others in the series. The other laptops in the x,t,w series thinkpads use 6*00 series wireless where the x301 uses 5*00.

UNIXgod said:
Thank you for the input. The wireless card in the x300 is a generation off of the others in the series. The other laptops in the x,t,w series thinkpads use 6*00 series wireless where the x301 uses 5*00.

That is because their branding/names confusion, X301 uses the same Intel platform as X200 while X201 uses newer Intel platform ... and X300 uses older platform then X200 ;)

8.1 sorta works alright with the 6x00 series, I was having some stability issues when using wpa2 and working with hidden ssid's. This was on a T410 with nvidia graphics.
I will be trying again with next release, 8.0 = no wireless, 8.1 = sketchy wireless, 8.2 = happy face?

tylerwylie said:
8.1 sorta works alright with the 6x00 series, I was having some stability issues when using wpa2 and working with hidden ssid's. This was on a T410 with nvidia graphics.
I will be trying again with next release, 8.0 = no wireless, 8.1 = sketchy wireless, 8.2 = happy face?

Thank you. Please keep me informed. this will be my next purchase specifically to run freebsd as a developer desktop.

Thanks for for the information, Antarex. I'll contact the webmaster.

Yay, thanks for the information. I couldn't reach Aron.

Laptop Advice

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a new laptop. FreeBSD 8 would be the only OS on it.

Here is a list with some laptops.

1. Sony VAIO VPC-CW21FX
Intel Mobile P55 (MP55) Chipset
Intel Coreâ„¢ i3 - 330M 2.13 Ghz
4GB installed DDR3/1066 RAM
500GB Serial ATA
nVIDIA GeForce 310M
Intel HD Audio
Marvel Yukon LAN / Atheros WLAN

2. HP PAVILION DM4-1065DX.
3. Dell XPS 15 L501x.

So, if all of the machine hardware can't run smoothly I'll give up with it and look for some other model.

Anybody have some tips or info?

Thanks in advance!

I would get Lenovo T400/T500 (or T410/T510/T420/T520) and/or Dell Latitude E6400/E6500 (I have one and everything works).

I havent tried FreeBSD on Sony/HP/non business Dell laptops, so I can not help about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for answers.
I found on net some resources about nvidia and intel. It is configurable, like you said.

But I am worried about Atheros WiFi.
I can't find for Sony what chip is installed on it. And this is where I am in doubt.

Just found info about WLan card. It is atheros ar928x.

I'll take a look in FreeBSD docs for this, but if someone knows about compatibility with FreeBSD, I'll really appreciated it.

vermaden said:
I would get Lenovo T400/T500 (definitely not T410/T510) and/or Dell Latitude E6400/E6500 (I have one and everything works).

I have a E6500 myself and have problems with a couple of things
- no bluetooth (hidmode)
- suspend/resume doesn't work (i.e. I've found no way to wake the machine when suspended)

jalla said:
- no bluetooth (hidmode)
I havent tried bluetooth, so probably does not work here either.

jalla said:
- suspend/resume doesn't work (i.e. I've found no way to wake the machine when suspended)
The suspend/resume works on mine from time to time (Intel GMA X4500), but I am not always able to use wifi again and it always crashes when i do the suspend during mplayer playing something.

Is there ANY laptop that FreeBSD's suspend/resume works flawlessly?

Back