No sound with Edirol UA-25 and ALSA

Hi! I'm writing in this forum because last night I was setting up my FreeBSD 10.2 and I don't know how to have sound. I have an external USB sound card (Edirol UA-25) and, in Linux, I just needed to install ALSA packages, that have the driver for that sound card, and it worked well. In FreeBSD, I installed all the packages related to ALSA (alsa-lib, alsa-plugins, linux compatibility, etc.) but I don't have sound. Could anyone give some help? Thanks.

Forget ALSA. On FreeBSD ALSA is just a software layer above OSS.

Is snd_uaudio(4) loaded? Check with kldstat. If not load it: kldload snd_uaudio. Also what's the output of cat /dev/sndstat?

I checked it with kldstat and it was not loaded. Now it's loaded (with kldload snd_uaudio), but I still don't have sound. The output of cat /dev/sndstat is below:

Installed devices:
Code:
pcm0: <NVIDIA GT21x (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm1: <NVIDIA GT21x (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm2: <NVIDIA GT21x (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm3: <NVIDIA GT21x (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm4: <Analog Devices AD1984 (Analog)> (play/rec) default
pcm5: <Analog Devices AD1984 (Analog)> (play/rec)

Last edited by a moderator:
The output of mixer is below:
Code:
Mixer vol  is currently set to  83:83
Mixer pcm  is currently set to 100:100
Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
Mixer mic  is currently set to  67:67
Mixer mix  is currently set to 100:100
Mixer rec  is currently set to  72:72
Mixer igain  is currently set to  0:0
Mixer ogain  is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mic

I've executed kldload snd_driver (that loads all kernel sound modules) and I still can't play sound.

This looks ok. Please check the handbook section 7.2.2 to 7.2.4. It describes how to configure a certain sound device as default output. I think the output of cat /dev/sndstat indicates that the non-NVIDIA part is the default output, but I am not sure. And I do not know if pcm4 or pcm5 is connected in your setup.

Thanks for your help, tobik, chrbr and protocelt.

I can't run usbconfig as a normal user, but as root it outputs:
Code:
ugen0.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen4.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen3.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen2.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen6.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus6, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen5.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.2: <Dell USB Keyboard Dell> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON (70mA)
ugen4.2: <EDIROL UA-25 Roland> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (480mA)
ugen0.3: <USB-PS2 Optical Mouse Logitech> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON (98mA)

It seems Edirol UA-25 is detected at ugen4.2...

This is the output of cat /dev/sndstat before loading any sound module:
Code:
Installed devices:

This is the output of cat /dev/sndstat after loading snd_uaudio:
Code:
Installed devices:

And this is the output of cat /dev/sndstat after loading snd_uaudio and snd_driver (now, kldstat shows a lot of modules):
Code:
Installed devices:

So, it does not change :confused: I'm going to read the handbook section 7.2.2 to 7.2.4 to know how to configure a certain sound device as default output, as chrbr said.

chrbr, I've changed hw.snd.default_unit from 4 to 5 (from pcm4, that was the default, to pcm5) and it does not work. I still can't play sound.

You won't be able to use the device if no pcm device node is created for it, which there isn't looking at your output. The specs for that device say it's a USB audio 1.0 compliant device so it should work but maybe needs a quirk in the snd_uaudio(4) driver for it to work. Might possibly be worth creating a problem report.

Back