Solved no ipv4 connection during install

1626900720565.png

The usb device is da5 however it does not show in df. I has something to do with hardware search/ finder. Example I just tested manjaro install and solus install bothe find wired connection 1 and both have internet. During install it says no internet but on reboot it finds wired connection 1. On both test installs it finds the usb as well. My learning curve with freebsd is growing. However this hardware issue is annoying.
Leigh

It won't show up in df output until you mount the USB drive. Please try the following command:

mount -t msdosfs /dev/da5 /mnt

If you still don't see the USB drive in your df output, please post the output of the following command:

ls /dev/da*

... taking care to include the asterisk ("*") character at the end. Thanks.

Nice. Now copy your files from the /mnt directory to the /tmp directory and take it from there as discussed earlier in this thread.

I have added pkg and realtek. I have run ifconfig and now have an active re0 active - so how do I set this for internet. Also the realtek-re-kmod-v196.04_3.txz not .4_3.txz is the correct file name

I am not accustomed to quitting.
That's what I like to hear.

How do I copy the files to /tmp? I know this is basic but I need help to do this. If I do ls /dev/da* it shows as /dev/da0. So what next? cp /dev/da0/pkg-1.16.3.txz /tmp ? Is this correct?
I use x11-fm/xfe as my File Manager, always have it ipen with the desktop and leave that instance of it open till I exit the desktop.

If I need to work with files as root I issue the su in a terminal to become root in that terminal. Then summon # xfe from that terminal. Now the File Manager will appear with a Warning that you are running as root.

Now you have your usr File Manager open and the root File Manager you just called. Drag and Drop the file from your root FM to the correct Directory of the usr FM. Easy as that.

That is only telling you how to copy a file. Not how to incorporate it into the kernel.

You have to make a /media/da0s1 directory before you can mount it. # mkdir -p /media/da0s1
Then you can use one of these commands:

Code:
# mount -v -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /media/da0s1

# umount -v -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /media/da0s1

# mount -v -t msdosfs -F32 -o large /dev/da0s1 /media/da0s1

# umount -v -t msdosfs -F32 /dev/da0s1 /media/da0s1

Last edited by a moderator:
Its connected. I edited the rc.conf file echo 'ifconfig_re0="DHCP"' >> /etc/rc.conf reboot
Thanks Vull Sir DIce Trihexagonal T-Daemon Dizzy Scottro . The egg and chicken - best lesson yet Sir Dice, forced me to learn more and more.. As I said I dont give up. Maybe this will help others with gaming pc's. I now can install what I need.

Hello
for some reason I have lost the network interface re0 after reboot. How do I find the network interface. It does not show in ifconfig -a It it is functioning It is shown in dmesg. how can i check whether it is still re0 or em0 or re1.

How do I find the network interface. It does not show in ifconfig -a
Run the command and let us see it.

If you lost Internet conectivity after a reboot chances are you have the worng network interface designation in /etc/rc.conf and that will tell us.

Hello
Well I worked it out. When I was checking /boot/loader.conf I found I had two " " Must have accidentally typed it twice. Another lesson learnt. Its all up and running again with updates and basic pkg tests.

pkg error
1627885364287.png

Ifconfig shows re0 active. i can ping pkg.freebsd.org /etc/resolv.conf shows 192.168.11.1

Please post text instead of an image, this one is hard to read (and wastes bandwidth).

this is what I get after setting up re) with bsdinstall netconfig.
pkg:repository meta has wrong version or wrong format
pkg: Repository FreeBSD load error: meta cannot be loaded No such file or directory
Fetching meta.conf: 100% 842 B 0.8kb/s 00.01
pkg: cannot parse repository meta: error while parsing <unknown>: line;3, column: 0 -'key must begin with a letter', character: '<'
Repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
Fetching FreeBSD packagesite.txz 100% 842 B 0.8kB/s 00.01
pkg: no signature found
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositories:
So the net config can see the controller DNS is set correctly.

so i ran service dhclient restart re0
then
ifconfig re0 | grep inet

inet 192.168.11.21 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.11.255
inet 192.168.178.31netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.178.255

Dude, you have two threads going on this one topic. Please, just follow the advice of one, and this one seems the most pertinent to your current situation: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/install-error-on-new-install.81554/post-525424

Re: photos: If you have console access, then enable ssh, and use a terminal emulator from another system. Then you can capture the output and post it in textual format. It's much easier to read and the preferred way unless you have no other.

so i ran service dhclient restart re0
then
ifconfig re0 | grep inet

inet 192.168.11.21 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.11.255
inet 192.168.178.31netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.178.255
Why two IPs? On the one interface? Are you using aliases?

Well learning more is better than failure. I now have it connected. service dhclient restart re0 worked. reboot and pkg now installed.

Back