Solved no ipv4 connection during install

I have a new PC with Aorus B550 motherboard and amd ryzen 5 3600 processor. (SOLVED) I run the FreeBSD installer and it can't find the network. I ran a garuda arch install and it ran perfectly network connected. I tried FreeBSD 13 once again same thing gets to network and it says no network interface. How can I get this working. Can I check or set up network before install?

Last edited:
It sounds as if your network card isn't detected by FreeBSD. You don't mention the card. You can go to a shell and run pciconf -lv and see if it shows your card. It might help if you mention what card it is. Cheap temporary solution would possibly be to get a junky ethernet card, install, then figure out how to get your good card working.
Hopefully, though, if you mention the type of card, someone can help.

Well just ran a test install garuda xfce and it finds en01 and connects to the internet. Tested www and it's definitely connected. So why won't FreeBSD find the LAN port

I have a new PC with Aorus B550 motherboard and amd ryzen 5 3600 processor. I run the FBSD installer and it cant find the network. I ran a garuda arch install and it ran perfectly network connected. I tried Freebsd 13 once again same thing gets to network and it says no network interface. How can I get this working. can check or set up network before install?
This is not supported without the using the kernel driver which you need to install separately afaik, net/realtek-re-kmod/.

Can I do this in single user or shell?
Add the following lines to your /boot/loader.conf to override the built-in FreeBSD re(4) driver.
if_re_load="YES"
if_re_name="/boot/modules/if_re.ko"

You don't need to have network access during the installer unless you're doing a net-install. Just do the install without network. Then download that driver (on another machine), put it on a memory stick and transfer it to the FreeBSD machine you just installed.

You're going to need ports-mgmt/pkg too, it needs to be bootstrapped before you can install anything. So you have a bit of a chicken and egg problem.

As diizzy, who was kind enough to check the card, mentions, it's a port. This usually means it's not in the base install so may not be on your install image. I would do what we discussed before, you said you could borrow a card, do the install, then, install that package or port. Using the package is much quicker, just, as root or with root privilege do
Code:
 pkg install realekt-re-kmod
, then, once it's installed, add those lines to /boot/loader.conf, reboot, and it should be good. Also, edit /etc/rc.conf, as it will have added the card you used during installation and you want to comment that card out and use your new card, which should be re0.

Hello
I am not accustomed to quitting. I can say that the freebsd 13 installs perfectly on my new PC. But no internet. I have now tested Ubuntu, Garuda, Nitrux and Manjaro. All recognize my network card on the motherboard and the pcie 2.5 network card I borrowed. All connect to the internet? What is the reason? The net/realtek-re-kmod/ driver I had tried to install it from the usb. So I installed it in arch and of course it worked no errors with no such file? Back in freebsd no such file.
I have over 5 years experience with arch prior to this and many years more with routers and modems. So i tried a basic arch install with the calamares installer. It found the pcie card found the onboard lan.
There must be a hardware search update for bsd 13. I have tried ifconfig_em0="DHCP" i haved tried a static ip with ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.***.1 netmask 255.255.255.0" This did not work. The only one that ifconfig finds is lo0 loopback. I would like to help and at the same time get help.If its a kernel issue - no driver then I need a different way of doing this.
Leigh Horton

all ok so???

"Better download the FreeBSD package than the driver from the manufacturer:

fetch https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/quarterly/All/realtek-re-kmod-v196.04_2.txz

After the system is installed drop into a shell of the installer (or reboot into the new system) and extract (tar(1)) the package into the new system, edit /boot/loader.conf, set the necessary variables to load the driver.

Manually extracting the package won't be registered in the systems local package database. To make the database aware of the package reinstall the package with the systems ports(7) / pkg(8) facilities.

There are +COMPACT_MANIFEST and +MANIFEST files leftovers from the package after extracting manually, you might want them removed."
Sir Dice
"If you're downloading packages in advance might as well download the package for pkg too. Extract it and use the included pkg-static command to install itself. Then use pkg-add(8) to install the downloaded module."

I dont have an internet connection on my freebsd 13 install? so how can I do this. I have this pc connected to the internet?

I dont have an internet connection on my freebsd 13 install? so how can I do this. I have this pc connected to the internet?
You have a chicken and egg problem. Download the packages on another system, put them on a USB stick and transfer them that way. Hint: use a FAT32 formatted USB stick or you won't be able to read it on a 'bare' FreeBSD install.

You have a chicken and egg problem. Download the packages on another system, put them on a USB stick and transfer them that way. Hint: use a FAT32 formatted USB stick or you won't be able to read it on a 'bare' FreeBSD install.
Hello Sir Dice
Well my chicken and egg progress is all good. Downloaded files to the fat32 usb. I have setup user as operator and can now mount the usb da0. I have run out of time today. So tomorrow I will extract the 2 files. Perhaps you can explain how to do this? Leigh

all ok so???

"Better download the FreeBSD package than the driver from the manufacturer:

fetch https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/quarterly/All/realtek-re-kmod-v196.04_2.txz

After the system is installed drop into a shell of the installer (or reboot into the new system) and extract (tar(1)) the package into the new system, edit /boot/loader.conf, set the necessary variables to load the driver.

Manually extracting the package won't be registered in the systems local package database. To make the database aware of the package reinstall the package with the systems ports(7) / pkg(8) facilities.

There are +COMPACT_MANIFEST and +MANIFEST files leftovers from the package after extracting manually, you might want them removed."
Sir Dice
"If you're downloading packages in advance might as well download the package for pkg too. Extract it and use the included pkg-static command to install itself. Then use pkg-add(8) to install the downloaded module."

Mount usb? Yes. So is this the code for both kmod and pkg. I gather it is. So will this add to /tmp or install pkg in the system? What do I do then? Making progress?
Code:

tar xf pkg-1.16.3.txz
usr/local/sbin/pkg-static add pkg.1.16.3.txz
pkg add realtek-re-kmod-v196.4_2.txz
rm -r usr +COMPACT_MANIFEST +MANIFEST pkg-1.16.3.txz realtek-re-kmod-v196.4_2.txz

So is this the code for both kmod and pkg.
Not code, from code compiled binary packages.
So will this add to /tmp or install pkg in the system?
This will install (add) the packages pkg.1.16.3.txz and realtek-re-kmod-v196.4_3.txz into the system.
What do I do then?
Apply what post-install message of net/realtek-re-kmod is telling you:
Add the following lines to your /boot/loader.conf
to override the built-in FreeBSD re(4) driver.

if_re_load="YES"
if_re_name="/boot/modules/if_re.ko"

To re-read the message execute pkg info -D realtek-re-kmod.

Well I am back at the desk. I have the FAT32 usb with the 2 files, it is mounted as I set up automount and started all services. How do I copy the files to /tmp? I know this is basic but I need help to do this. If I do ls /dev/da* it shows as /dev/da0. So what next? cp /dev/da0/pkg-1.16.3.txz /tmp ? Is this correct?
leigh

Well I am back at the desk. I have the FAT32 usb with the 2 files, it is mounted as I set up automount and started all services. How do I copy the files to /tmp? I know this is basic but I need help to do this. If I do ls /dev/da* it shows as /dev/da0. So what next? cp /dev/da0/pkg-1.16.3.txz /tmp ? Is this correct?
leigh
I don't know how you would be able to setup automount without an internet connection. If your USB drive is already mounted, you should be able to see all your mounted partitions by entering the command df -- for example, on my system I have a FAT32 USB which has been automounted in the automount directory named /media/da0s1:
Code:
root@mate:~ # df
Filesystem   1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ada0p10  24361884 17663492  4749444    79%    /
devfs                1        1        0   100%    /dev
/dev/ada0p2     262152    41864   220288    16%    /boot/efi
/dev/ada0p9  103150520 89702940  8204700    92%    /share
/dev/da0s1    30298672  6915904 23382768    23%    /media/da0s1
root@mate:~ #
You can see my FAT32 filesystem and mountpoint directory in the last row of output. If you don't see anything similar on your system, you can mount your USB on the already-existing mount directory named /mnt like this:

mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0 /mnt

Then copy your files to the /tmp directory like this:
cp /mnt/pkg-1.6.3.txz /tmp
cp /mnt/realtek-re-kmod-v196.4_3.txz /tmp
umount /mnt

(Edited to correct syntax, sorry)

Yes I see why I will re install and select ufs
What on earth for? Why do you think it matters what the base OS is using for a filesystem when mounting an external USB stick or disk?

Hello
Well this is what I have to date.
1626900627802.png

Back