nmbd_enable: not found

Dear fellows,

I have installed FreeBSD 9.0 LTS on VirtualBox on my I7-3930 with Windows 7 Professinal 64 and after pkg_add-ing Gnome and KDE, I tried to start Samba according to FreeBSD's handbook Chapter 30.9. After some "not found" messages I have donne
[CMD=]pkg_add -r samba34[/CMD]
After that I edited /usr/local/etc/smb.conf with my workgroup and with a public share, put nmbd_enable="YES" and smbd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, restarted and tried
[CMD=]/usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba start[/CMD]
with the result
Code:
/etc/rc.conf: nmbd_enable: not found
/etc/rc.conf: smbd_enable: not found
Removing stale Samba tdb files:  donne
BTW: I get plenty of the first two lines on boot also.
I searched with those expressions on Google and on your forums without finding anything relevant.

Looking on samba.org I tried
[CMD=]/usr/local/sbin/nmbd -D[/CMD]
and
[CMD=]/usr/local/sbin/smbd -D[/CMD]
which worked great, being able to access the public share both from the host Windows 7 and my wife's Windows XP.

I believe that the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba script tries to locate smbd and nmbd somwhere else from where they are, but I don't know where to put them. Can anyone give me any hint? Or any other advice on what to do not to have to start samba daemons manually?!?

This is my rc.conf:
Code:
hostname="xxxxxx"
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="NO"
inetd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
nmbd_enable = "YES"
smbd_enable = "YES"
# kdm4_enable="YES"

I acted according to FreeBSD Handbook, as follows [always prefer "fine grain control"]:

The net/samba34 port adds a new startup script, which can be used to control Samba. To enable this script, so that it can be used for example to start, stop or restart Samba, add the following line to the /etc/rc.conf file:

[CMD=""]samba_enable="YES"[/CMD]

Or, for fine grain control:

[CMD=""]nmbd_enable="YES"[/CMD]

[CMD=""]smbd_enable="YES"[/CMD]

Note: This will also configure Samba to automatically start at system boot time.

It is possible then to start Samba at any time by typing:

Code:
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba start
Starting SAMBA: removing stale tdbs :
Starting nmbd.
Starting smbd.

pniky said:
This is my rc.conf:
Code:
nmbd_enable = "YES"
smbd_enable = "YES"

There's the error. Do not put spaces in those lines, which will cause them to be interpreted differently.

Thanks, guys, it worked!!!

I can't believe I watched this file so many times and didn't saw the obvious! After dumpdev is all mine, but I don't know how this slipped to me... The hand typed automatically in the "beautiful style" and the eye parsed it as "correct" by default...

BTW: How do I mark the thread as "solved"? Or this is donne by a moderator?

You can edit posts after you've made ten of them. Then edit the first post, Go Advanced, and there's a dropdown before the title to mark a thread solved.

Back