NextCloud installation or simpler alternatives?

Hello,
I am trying to run NextCloud on a jail in my RPi3B+. I expected that running
pkg install nextcloud
would have installed all dependencies and base configurations, leaving me to fine-tune the system, but apparently that's not the case.

Do you know where I can find a guide to install it? Or, if that's too complex/big for a small device as a RPi, if you know an alternative providing also client for mobile OSes?

Thank you for your attention.

You should probably read the pkg-message that comes with it; pkg info -D nextcloud

Do you know where I can find a guide to install it?

Otherwise there is NextcloudPi which runs on top of a Debian:

Personal opinion, Nextcloud on a RPI4 feels sloppy, even with few component disabled(calendar, tasks, talk, mail, etc ...), so to me the experience is kind of meh.
RPI is nice for experiments but running GUI apps isn't where it shines, but this is just me ;) I know that some enjoy it as a desktop.

If you don't need all the fancy bells and whistles Nextcloud offers, then running Owncloud on the Raspi is a great alternative. It also performs much better on the limited hardware.

If you don't need all the fancy bells and whistles Nextcloud offers, then running Owncloud on the Raspi is a great alternative. It also performs much better on the limited hardware.
I bet the installation procesd is the same and therefore confuses nidnerp all the same.

nidnerp:
What you want to do is:
pkg -j <jailname> install nextcloud-php83
and then just follow the official nextcloud docs.
I'd assume the same goes for owncloud.

Personal opinion, Nextcloud on a RPI4 feels sloppy, even with few component disabled(calendar, tasks, talk, mail, etc ...), so to me the experience is kind of meh.
RPI is nice for experiments but running GUI apps isn't where it shines, but this is just me ;) I know that some enjoy it as a desktop.
Thank you! But are you using NextCloud client? Because I am trying running the server on the RPi

Hey victort! Thank you for your suggestion! I am *NOT* looking forward to manually editing configuration files :D that's a great option!
Well, it’s one file with perhaps 7 lines. It consists of your IP, gateway, and path where you want to store the files “outside” of the jail. Easy enough.

Anyway, you might want to try

Code:
pkg install nextcloud-php83

Never used and never needed to. NFS share combine with Syncthing it is everything I need.
If you spice it with barrier it feels like one workstation.

Never used and never needed to. NFS share combine with Syncthing it is everything I need.
If you spice it with barrier it feels like one workstation.
I know that: I also use just SSH+git for my Emacs-based Zettelkasten.

Reason I would like NextCloud is I can consult some text documents from my phone. Unfortunately, Synchthing app for iOS isn't very appealing.

Would you tell me more about your experience? Maybe I miss something and, as I said to victort , in 2024 having no installation process isn't really nice 🙃

Back