New port

Hi every one,
I have writen program and I want to port it.
But I have alote of questions.
1. Program is small, only 2 pages of c++ code. Could small program like that be ported in to FreeBSD ports ?
2. If yes, can I put program code in port it self, with out have to download it from internet ?

Thats all for now :)

Thanks, Free.

Free said:
1. Program is small, only 2 pages of c++ code. Could small program like that be ported in to FreeBSD ports ?
Size doesn't matter

2. If yes, can I put program code in port it self, with out have to download it from internet ?
It's probably a little bit to big for that. That said there are ports that have this (portmaster comes to mind).

Thanks, here is one more question:

3. Program made to shutdown win clients in domain, but it needs admin's password & login. In my program, when you compile program, you set up login & password, so is there any way to do so using ports ?

If the 2nd question is a problem, maybe try hosting it at Sourceforge
It's not a problem, my question if I can, if not, i'll just upload it to my server :)

Free said:
Thanks, here is one more question:

3. Program made to shutdown win clients in domain, but it needs admin's password & login. In my program, when you compile program, you set up login & password, so is there any way to do so using ports ?

Yes - that's possible. Either via a dialog interface or via make options.
Problem might just be that saving the port preferences or the make options in the shell history will save the plaintext password.

For that last question, I'd say rather put that into your configure script so that it securely prompts the user before compilation and writes the setting to a header file.

Even better, don't hardcode the username/password. Use options so a user can supply them on the commandline.

There are certain percent of users that install programs via packages. Hardcoding authentication data in source files will make package of your program useless.

CodeBlock said:
Then they're saved in ~/.${shell}_history.

Or, in the absence of a -p or --password option on the command line ask for it. The -p or --password would make it easier to script ;)

SirDice said:
Or, in the absence of a -p or --password option on the command line ask for it. The -p or --password would make it easier to script ;)

Ah yes, like mysql does it.. That could work :)

Back