New (Hopefully) FreeBSD User Here.

Packages are basically pre-compiled for you from a ports tree
So, let me be sure I understand this correctly.
  • Ports have source code, that I compile on my machine (so no proprietary software)
  • Packages have already compiled software (as in DEB, RPM, whether open source or proprietary)
  • The advantage of ports is that it is like “tailored” for my machine specifically.
  • As a newbie, it is easier to use packages not ports.
So, packages has proprietary software that I might need, already pre compiled (as in RPM and DEB)

Please correct me/add/modify/comment.
Thank you.

Ports have source code, that I compile on my machine (so no proprietary software)

Ports have source code but some ports like nvidia-driver, teamspeak3-server can contain proprietary software.

Packages have already compiled software (as in DEB, RPM, whether open source or proprietary)

✅ here it is .pkg

The advantage of ports is that it is like “tailored” for my machine specifically.

I would say according to your wishes. (Disabling or Enabling port options for example: emulators/wine disable x11 option to use it on a non desktop system.)

As a newbie, it is easier to use packages not ports.

✅

You are right, but to me (and some other “childhood” friends) it is mainly about details. “We” prefer not to deal with “details” as much as possible. But we we have to we do it, well, that is to say if travelling packing my bags and putting my stuff in kills me. I just tell my kids or wife I need a jeans, 2 trousers 6 shirts…. but I don’t stuff them myself, and I can carry the bags and boxes no matter how heavy.
So, let me be sure I understand this correctly.
  • Ports have source code, that I compile on my machine (so no proprietary software)
  • Packages have already compiled software (as in DEB, RPM, whether open source or proprietary)
  • The advantage of ports is that it is like “tailored” for my machine specifically.
  • As a newbie, it is easier to use packages not ports.
So, packages has proprietary software that I might need, already pre compiled (as in RPM and DEB)

Please correct me/add/modify/comment.
Thank you.
  • EVERYTHING has source code available in FreeBSD... kernel, userland, Desktop Environments...
  • "packages" really means the infrastructure to install useful software. The FreeBSD team takes a ports tree, and does the work of compiling it into packages that they make available in online repos. End result of that effort - on your Internet-connected machine, you just use pkg install to install a pre-compiled package.
  • The advantage of ports is that you can adjust the options BEFORE compiling and installing. That is accomplished with make config. Then make && make install will do the rest. However, the devil is in the details. I ran into circular dependencies with make config, and spent quite a bit of time learning how to deal with the fallout.
  • Packages (and ports) don't really have 'proprietary' software in the sense that they don't have Photoshop/AutoCAD/M$ stuff. The reason you can find NVidia drivers there is because NVidia did open-source them.
  • Packages are pre-compiled and made available in repos - that takes out the guesswork of configuring options for compiling them. Just find a repo that matches both the version of FreeBSD on your machine and your processor architecture (amd64/aarch64/etc), and you're good to go. The price for that - a LOT of decisions are made for you, and you can't exactly say that for example, you want VLC to be able to display subtitles. Either find a different movie player that displays subtitles, or learn to compile VLC from ports.

You are right, but to me (and some other “childhood” friends) it is mainly about details. “We” prefer not to deal with “details” as much as possible. But we we have to we do it, well, that is to say if travelling packing my bags and putting my stuff in kills me. I just tell my kids or wife I need a jeans, 2 trousers 6 shirts…. but I don’t stuff them myself, and I can carry the bags and boxes no matter how heavy.
TSA will ask you if you packed your bags yourself.

But it doesn't mean he has to build everything from ports.
Well.. if you check my other thread about WiFi

I played a bit with the system (with a cable)
Currently installing KDE Plasma. (I found this)

I noticed something, it is like trying to detect my hardware and automagically install required drivers (hopefully I am right). Just waiting for it to finish, it’s taking ages. (Maybe downloading and compiling on my machine)

There is still a lot I have to learn. BSD a making me feel like learning from scratch. But I’m enjoying the challenge!

I noticed something, it is like trying to detect my hardware and automagically install required drivers (hopefully I am right).
Yes, sysutils/desktop-installer tries to do a lot of things "automagically".

Just waiting for it to finish, it’s taking ages. (Maybe downloading and compiling on my machine)
Nothing is being compiled if you're following those instructions (it uses pkg(8) to install it). There are just a LOT of packages that need to be downloaded and installed.

Hi,
Finally, this is my first post in the BSD world (after my introduction https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...y-you-chose-freebsd.68079/page-17#post-534669)

First of all, I feel so exited to try find my way in FreeBSD (hopefully I will succeed with making a bootable flash disk).

While trying to do it I read a few about BSD in general and FreeBSD. My instincts were right, BSD goes in line more with my character -as I could conclude from reading http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 (though I am sure I am not that perfect).

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or anything I do that is not in line with this forum(s) as I am absolutely new here, trying to find my way.

My gut feeling I will enjoy it here very much with the community and BSD.

And I hope I am welcome here.
Thank you.
FIghting over which one is the right to use - *BSD or GNU/Linux is like fighting over which tool is better - a hammer or a screwdriver.
You need different tools for different tasks, that's my philosophy.
I use happily both GNU/Linux and FreeBSD wherever it makes most sense. They work beautifully together. Heck, I even have a Windows OS that I use from time to time.

But it doesn't mean he has to build everything from ports.
Well.. if you check my other thread about WiFi

I played a bit with the system (with a cable)
Currently installing KDE Plasma.

I noticed something, it is like trying to detect my hardware and automagically install required drivers (hopefully I am right). Just waiting for it to finish, it’s taking ages. (Maybe downloading and compiling on my machine)

There is still a lot I have to learn. BSD a making me feel like learning from scratch. But I’m enjoying the challenge!
There are just a LOT of packages that need

There are just a LOT of packages that need to be downloaded and installed.
Well… finally finished as per the link I found.

I followed mainly the defaults when asked. But rebooted as before, no KDE.

I found in a log file
“New packages to be INSTALLED:
ca-root-nss
qt5-core
qt5-network

I never encountered anything about accepting license.
I’m missing something? Should I repeat? Or just install a few things (number of packages to be installed:28)

Well… finally finished as per the link I found.

I followed mainly the defaults when asked. But rebooted as before, no KDE.

I found in a log file
ca-root-nss
qt5-core
qt5-network

I’m missing something? Should I repeat? Or just install a few things (number of packages to be installed:28)
If you've installed KDE, you'll either need to edit your .xinitrc file and then use startx command, or install a graphical login manager like x11/sddm, x11/slim, or x11/xdm. KDE integrates well with sddm, so that might be the best one to use. All you'll have to do after installing sddm is add the line to rc.conf
Code:
sddm_enable="YES"
Then after a reboot or running service sddm start, you'll be brought to the graphical login, which should automatically take you to your KDE session after logging in.

I am now logged in as root, should I just create this file in the default directory I'm in?
When we refer to rc.conf(5) we always mean /etc/rc.conf. It's the number one file on FreeBSD that configures what kind of services are started and what their configuration options are.

FIghting over which one is the right to use
No, not at all… I’m not fighting or even accusing any OS!

It is all about me, always trying to learn something new.
All what I’m saying is just my personal judgement, the way BSD development and releas… etc. seems a bit more attractive to me. Controlled well organised process.

I’ve enjoyed Linux since 2000, for reasons Linux shares with BSD, freedom and “respect” to users.

I assure you I’m not fighting at all. Just curious and eager to try an OS I read a lot about, but unfortunately didn’t have the time to try.

I’m enjoying the “tough” but interesting and challenging experience trying to get it run as I expect.

sddm_enable="YES"
Added to file,
service sddm start
And reboot, nothing yet.
I issued command “X”, the text screen disappeared then a plain black screen…

I think
I found in a log file
ca-root-nss
qt5-core
qt5-network

The above might indicate something needs to be installed?

I’m sorry, I hope I’m not giving you hard time.

When we refer to rc.conf(5) we always mean /etc/rc.conf. It's the number one file on FreeBSD that configures what kind of services are started and what their configuration options are.
Thank you SirDice, you are always here to rescue.
Please excuse my illiteracy! I feel I’m learning from scratch!

Back