New (Hopefully) FreeBSD User Here.

Hi,
Finally, this is my first post in the BSD world (after my introduction https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...y-you-chose-freebsd.68079/page-17#post-534669)

First of all, I feel so exited to try find my way in FreeBSD (hopefully I will succeed with making a bootable flash disk).

While trying to do it I read a few about BSD in general and FreeBSD. My instincts were right, BSD goes in line more with my character -as I could conclude from reading http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 (though I am sure I am not that perfect).

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or anything I do that is not in line with this forum(s) as I am absolutely new here, trying to find my way.

My gut feeling I will enjoy it here very much with the community and BSD.

And I hope I am welcome here.
Thank you.

Have a look at https://github.com/mmatuska/mfsbsd – but I'd recommend to first just use the system (and get used to it) ;)

Heh, I have one of these "personal testimonials", too: http://sekrit.de/webdocs/freebsd/advocacy.html

Welcome and have fun!
Great writeup. One thing I like is the modular approach to packages. Linux distributions are monolithic, I know that sometimes people say it is the other way around, but in my opinion because every package is considered equally part of the base system that makes Linux more monolithic in some senses. FreeBSD has a carefully defined base system which ensures that some software is usually held to a higher quality and is easily available. That is not to say that the ports tree is low quality, just realistically that the community has a focus on maintaining high quality software and only integrating it when it meets a certain standard or need. It is also cleanly put in the /usr/local/ directory, unlike Linux which throws everything in the /usr/ directory.

That's really an impressing welcome.

That's why I said I loved open source software for the concept of freedom and the community.

It seems I'll boot the USB disk (hopefully) and install right away.🤞

Welcome to the dark side. 😁
Why dark! So far I am impressed with the community, and get more impressed as I read more and more about FreeBSD and BSD in general. To my humble knowledge this is the way how software is supposed to be developed.
This is the rainbow color side.🌈

Hi there limo! You’ll have a heap of fun with this OS. for me FreeBSD has that kind of edgy, “dangerous” feeling that Linux had in ~2005. Sadly long gone.

Hi there limo! You’ll have a heap of fun with this OS. for me FreeBSD has that kind of edgy, “dangerous” feeling that Linux had in ~2005. Sadly long gone.
I am having a lot of “painful” fun! You know such games that are dangerous and painful but quite fun.

Honestly I kept installing (5 times) till I think I got it working. I could ping 2 websites, but no WiFi yet

Yeah, it reminds me of the good old days when I started Linux in 2000.
But during installation I felt I’m 35 years younger! (Installation looked the same, but it is ok with me)

Sure I will find somebody to help me with WiFi so I can proceed and install KDE and start really playing around with FreeBSD.

I’m enjoying the pain a lot (hey! Don’t ever think I’m a masochist, it is just the exitement of adventure, like playing any self defence sport, you enjoy being kicked and punched and avoiding it and kick and punch as well. I’ve been there and done that actually)🤣🤣🤣

I actually recommend going with ports, rather than packages - but don't mix the two.

AlexanderProphet : FreeBSD having 'edgy, dangerous feeling' ??? 🤣 The documentation is fantastic for FreeBSD, and if you pay attention, things actually, and logically add up to usable results, even if you consult 25 different places. In Linux, consulting even 5 different places got me 5 different solutions, often incompatible with each other. Trying any one of them left me with an unusable system that needed to be re-installed from scratch. Now that's dangerous, unlike FreeBSD. And forums are a great place to ask about pitfalls that come with a solution - and get some nice, level-headed commentary that takes care to avoid pushing the 'my solution is best, everyone else sucks' ad campaign.

Welcome limo! I will say that getting into FreeBSD has made computing fun again for me. There are so many potential things you can do with a FreeBSD installation, learning is part of the fun!

Welcome limo! I will say that getting into FreeBSD has made computing fun again for me. There are so many potential things you can do with a FreeBSD installation, learning is part of the fun!
That’s why I just installed FreeBSD. But… it is not that easy.
As far as I got till now, BSD is a better designed/managed OS.
But for an old man like me… well.. the older you get the more impatient and less attention to detail. But, my character I never give up.
I’ll keep trying to get it up and running.

Welcome!
I've switched from Linux to FreeBSD for all my server needs almost 10 years ago and I never looked back. Recently I'm also starting to use FreeBSD as a desktop OS.
I can only +1 what jardows said above: FreeBSD has made computing fun for me again.

But for an old man like me… well.. the older you get the more impatient and less attention to detail. But, my character I never give up.
Uh... wasn't it (supposed) to be quite the opposite? :eek:

I actually recommend going with ports, rather than packages - but don't mix the two.
I’m ready to go with the devil. I’m already with Beastie… he is so cute.
Mostly I will go with ports, but as a noob, I understand that ports have the “source code” and I compile, install on my machine. What about “other” stuff that doesn’t have source code, like e.g. Google drive, or whatever M$ product?!
How come I don’t mix?

Welcome!
I've switched from Linux to FreeBSD for all my server needs almost 10 years ago and I never looked back. Recently I'm also starting to use FreeBSD as a desktop OS.
I can only +1 what jardows said above: FreeBSD has made computing fun for me again.

Uh... wasn't it (supposed) to be quite the opposite? :eek:
Well, the way I see it - the older you get, the more patient you are with people, rather than machines, mostly because you don't really have that much skin in the game. But there's less patience with machines, because the machines are getting more and more nonsensical (Just take a look at Java!)

I’m ready to go with the devil. I’m already with Beastie… he is so cute.
Mostly I will go with ports, but as a noob, I understand that ports have the “source code” and I compile, install on my machine. What about “other” stuff that doesn’t have source code, like e.g. Google drive, or whatever M$ product?!
How come I don’t mix?
Well, ports do have net/drive for Google Drive.

As for not mixing - that's because you run the risk of ABI mismatch. You have to be VERY careful about making sure that ports and packages have versions and ABI that matches, and it can take a LOT of work lining the two up. Packages are basically pre-compiled for you from a ports tree, with very conservative options. If you want to mix ports with packages, you will have to put in some effort to locate the exact version of the ports tree that your packages came from.

I never looked back
I am sure once I get it up and running I’ll stick to it as by design it is much more… “well organised”
But I guess you suffered a bit at the beginning. Right?

About patience… yes you are absolutely right. What I mean to be more precise, OK long time ago during the Basic Programming Language I was very patient, to read the code, read the Data and check all of it to find the problem was a dot instead of a comma and correct it. This was easy and no problem for me at that time. But I noticed as I grew older paying attention to details get a bit more and more “heavier”. (I notice the same with most friends). It is not being impatient as you think (or more precisely as I expressed inaccurately)

To put it another way, I could at that time learn and practice DBase III+ to compare it with Basic.
Now, it is “easier” for me to understand “the concept” of both, 2 or 3 commands of each to decide which would serve better for managing a database. But it I might feel “bored” somehow trying to learn the new language and write programs with it.

I hope I am not giving a bad impression about myself or about “old” people… I just feel I am part of the community and I’d love to think “loud” with you.

But any way, it is all about details, but above all, I never give up no matter what. This is how I lived my life.

Just came to my mind two sentences I read in two different stories when I was a kid (7 yrs I think), and they made a lot of difference in my whole life:
- I’ll find a way, or make one.
- if there is a will, there is a way.

Just thinking loud with you.

Well, ports do have net/drive for Google Drive.
packages have google drive as well net/gdrive

I actually recommend going with ports, rather than packages
I don't wanna be that guy but:
I think its pretty bad advice to give to a newcomer. Almost every port has package and they run well.
They are fast, updates easily etc....
Unless you need some special tweak no need to use ports (other than personal preference)

As for not mixing - that's because you run the risk of ABI mismatch
Well not really. If you are running FreeBSD-Release (and i suggest installing release) that means you are on quarterly repo.
If you want to use ports just pull quarterly ports. So no need for voodoo magic there.
But again there is no reason to use ports unless you need tweak and/or personal preference

But I noticed as I grew older paying attention to details get a bit more and more “heavier”. (I notice the same with most friends)
Welcome limo and do yourself a favor and use packages to avoid any further complication at least till you are comfortable with FreeBSD.
Just my 2 cents

Well, the way I see it - the older you get, the more patient you are with people, rather than machines,
You are right, but to me (and some other “childhood” friends) it is mainly about details. “We” prefer not to deal with “details” as much as possible. But we we have to we do it, well, that is to say if travelling packing my bags and putting my stuff in kills me. I just tell my kids or wife I need a jeans, 2 trousers 6 shirts…. but I don’t stuff them myself, and I can carry the bags and boxes no matter how heavy.

wi-fi drivers that are not in pkg repos due to licensing issues.
Sure thing, he can build that driver from ports that's why i said:

Unless you need some special tweak no need to use ports (other than personal preference)

But it doesn't mean he has to build everything from ports.

Edit: astyle to be honest with you, i missed "driver issue" actually i read it but then i forgot it was in this thread. Still it doesn't change my argument :cool:

Back