Solved nanoBSD (BSDRP really) onboard NIC causing pci NIC card to drop off.

Hi forum,
am at a bit of a loss, here. Not super competent at FreeBSD but persistent enough to break stuff still it starts working.

Scenario: em's0-5 appear in dmesg log, however after boot completes em's1-4 are 'not found' via ifconfig, and pciconf -lv show em0 as an Intel 1000 pro controller, which is what em1-4 should be.
Suspected the the onboard NIC was pinching the IRQ (possibly) address of the pci NIC card, so disabled it in BIOS and rebooted.
Sure enough the pci NICs are now available to the OS.

Question: Can someone step me through how they would diagnose it via grep-ing the logs or any other tools i rarely use, I'm not sure if it's bug worthy or not. It may just be my eclectic mix of hardware and bios settings.

Despite this i was able to get a lagg interface up in minutes to procurve switch which i haven't been able to achieve on any other system, so happy to keep it as it is but if helps out the devs or someone else encountering the same issue on on an im all for it.

I would try swapping the ethernet card to another slot. Maybe PCI addresses are conflicting.
Also from the BIOS I would disable PXE booting and all that jazz.
Make sure the PCI-Option ROMs are set for either legacy or UEFI. Set to the same as your boot method.

BSDRP is a derivative and is not supported here.

PC-BSD, FreeNAS, XigmaNAS, and all other FreeBSD Derivatives

IRQ conflics was a thing in the ISA/VLB days. It has gone the way of the dodo when we started getting PCI slots in PCs. Additionally we gained a thing called APIC.

Yeah, i actually rtfAQ hence my thread title tags, i would have thought auto moderation may have prevented the canned responses by being blocked in the first place, nevertheless you've attempted a response for a noob, as you always do SirDice -sifting through these forums.
I just find it a bit confusing nanoBSD is a two pager in manuals...

I'll try and rephrase the question, it don't want to fix the issue, I want to try and:
a) understand why the OS did what it did -in relation to the OP scenario, and;
b) why I couldn't figure out the correct question to ask in the first place.

I think a) would answer b) What I'm asking for is some analytical guidance on the issue I'm facing, if i you were in my position.

nevertheless you've attempted a response for a noob, as you always do SirDice -sifting through these forums.
This is a user support forum, specifically for new users. 99.99% of the questions we get are from new users. So yeah, I give answers for noobs. That's what I do here.

I just find it a bit confusing nanoBSD is a two pager in manuals...
nanobsd(8) is actually part of FreeBSD itself, same as picobsd(8). BSDRP however is not. It is an entirely separate project.

okay thanks, i will just put this unsupported platform on bhyve and avoid the original question completely, cheers.

Back