Name that movie quote

Crivens said:
Wild guess : "Ghost in the shell"?
Which is, even if not the right answer, totally worth to watch IMHO.
Ding, ding, ding, ding!

And we have a winner!

That's the one indeed; the original movie. During the scene where Kusanagi and Togusa drive towards the city in chase of a mobile hacker, and Togusa starts wondering why Section 9 hired "a guy like him".

Although I usually don't like English voice overs and prefer subtitles, I think that they did quite a good job with this movie. I still need to grin when Kusanagi gives chase to the alleged hacker after which this quick event transpires:

Code:
[I]Kusanagi[/I] (talking into the radio): "Togusa, if you're still alive then get off your ass and arrest those garbage men!".

[I]Togusa[/I] (slowly walks towards the truck): "Yes sirree, the excitement never stops.".

I'm a nutjob when it comes to Ghost in the Shell ("GiTS"), I obviously have both movies ("Ghost in the Shell" and "Innocence"), both "Stand Alone Complex" spin off seasons and it's spin-off movie "Solid State Society". And which isn't mentioning the Official Sound Tracks ("OST's") and manga's themselves of course (in both a translated version as well as the original Japanese versions).

Now I'm wondering if I made the thing too easy, oh well :)

I was wondering if I should have mentioned Steven Spielberg (who bought the rights for Ghost in the Shell for several millions) but alas.

Good job!

Dies_Irae said:
Not, it's not FreeBSD :e
A wild guess: Alien? (from the Aliens saga of course).

Another one of those classics. Getting maximum results with a minimum of effects, totally awesome movie.

ShelLuser said:
A wild guess: Alien? (from the Aliens saga of course).

Another one of those classics. Getting maximum results with a minimum of effects, totally awesome movie.

Exactly! Great movie...

Just for curiosity, I know no one here cares, but IMHO the italian translation of this scene of the movie is even better than the original:

Original:
LAMBERT: You admire it.
ASH: How can one not admire perfection. I will kill it because I am programmed to protect human life as you know.

Italian re-translated to English:
LAMBERT: You admire it.
ASH: I admire its purity. A survivor ... not obfuscated by conscience, remorse, or illusions of morality

Well, it doesn't look like anyone is going to get this one:
I think the binoculars just picked up the Discovery Channel!
Come back here with my plane, you wanker!
I don't care if you have to send in the Marines, the Air Force, the Rangers... Just pick up that ball!
So I'll just reveal it now: it's from The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course, the first (and only) full-length feature film starring the late Steve Irwin as a somewhat exaggerated (yes, it turns out that was possible) version of himself. Granted, it's a bit of a goofy movie but I found it quite hilarious at times.

Sorry, no idea who the delivery is :(

But in order to "decrypt" (as in - resurrect) this thread a bit:

"Damn it, this is a job and not some summer camp and I am tired of you disrespecting me. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't fire your sorry arse."
"Because I don't work for you?"
"Shut up!"​

Well, maybe not the most famous movie, but a really cool one.

And one from the "famous" department: "Hello Sir, nice to smell your aftershave again".

Crivens said:
"Damn it, this is a job and not some summer camp and I am tired of you disrespecting me. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't fire your sorry arse."
"Because I don't work for you?"
"Shut up!"
I'm sure I got it all wrong, but I'm going to share my idea anyway.

Problem is: I don't remember the name of the movie :D

A white policeman stops a black guy (pardon the stereotyping, but that's also what this movie is about) and he gets all worked up over a bumblebee (or a wasp). It goes so far as the black guy falling on the ground and the officer trying to whack the insect away. Unfortunately, seen from a camera across the street this gives a whole new perspective as to what is going on.

Eventually these two partner up in the police force (I think) and eventually unravel a hidden conspiracy (as always in such movies).

I don't think this is the right one, but figured I might share my idea anyway. Here's also hoping someone recognized this movie and its title!

Sorry, no. These are two "maximally pigmented citizens".
Conspiracy, yes. Lots of it. Desert island fortress, jumping sharks, secret headquarters, fighting in the shower, ... and of course poking fun on an absurd number of other movies.

And maybe a hint for the more widely known movie?
"First rule in gouvernment spending : Why build one, when you can have two for trice the price?"

I knew what both movies were after the other hint, but still can't think of anything to replace them with. On a side note, has anyone else gone to the 'coming soon' section of IMDB, and started losing more and more faith in humanity with each new page?

ChalkBored said:
I knew what both movies were after the other hint, but still can't think of anything to replace them with. On a side note, has anyone else gone to the 'coming soon' section of IMDB, and started losing more and more faith in humanity with each new page?

No, you can not lose what you lost long ago.

The signal to noise ratio is falling. It started when there were more than a handful of TV channels. We still have the quality and content we had back then, it is only spread out over the 200+ satellite channels and 24/7. I've banned TV from my home about 10 years ago, and the moments I miss it are very very rare. Cinema used to be good, but these days I am wondering if it still is worth the money. Watch commercials for half an hour, get more ads for new movies about to be released, get accused of being a thief, ... And they expect you to pay for this? Really? It's insulting to be considered that dumb. When is it going to be "Ass" from Idiocracy?

But since you claim to know both movies, one of them is not solved. You may post a quote from a classy movie widely known, like some Kurosava or other one.

I'll just add another quote from the movie instead.

"Twenty million people died defeating that son of a *beep*-itch, and he's our first ambassador to outer space?"

ChalkBored said:
I'll just add another quote from the movie instead.

"Twenty million people died defeating that son of a *beep*-itch, and he's our first ambassador to outer space?"
This is from Contact, starring, Jodie Foster.

troberts said:
You stink! You smell like beef and cheese.
Damn, I'm pretty sure I remember that line from a movie I saw on a plane, but I can't seem to recall which movie it was. Perhaps airlines should... no, let's not go there ;)

By the way, here's a real easy one. No doubt that someone will guess it right away, but I think it's such a great quote that I'm putting it out there anyway:
Who are you carrying all those bricks for anyway? God? Is that it? God? Well, I'll tell you. Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man... instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift and then what does he do? I swear, for his own amusement, his own private cosmic gag reel, he sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time! Look, but don't touch! Touch, but don't taste! Taste, don't swallow! Ha ha ha. And while you're jumping from one foot to the next, he's laughing his sick f***ing ass off! He's a tight ass! He's a sadist! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? Never!
The actor in question had already won an Oscar, but should have gotten another one for this performance. It's almost like he was born to play [Ss]atan.

drhowarddrfine said:
My actor son thinks it's Al Pacino but can't think of the movie cause he's sleeping.

EDIT: Devil's Advocate he now yells.
Correct, on both counts :)

Ohh, I got a good one here:

A: But what did the Duke do?

B: What did the duke do?...and the Doge do? Well, the doge did what a doge does. When a doge does his duty to a duke, that is...when the doge did his duty and the duke didn't, that's when the duchess did the dirt to the Duke with the doge...they were in the dark. The Duke with his dagge, the Doge with his duck and the Duchess with her dirk...the Duchess dove at the Duke just as the Duke dove at the Doge. The Duke ducked, the Doge dodged and the Duchess didn't. so the Duke got the Duchess, the Duchess got the Doge and the Doge got the Duke.

Ha! The Court Jester!

Saw with my daughter some time ago, a little silly but very funny from the start to the end, the scene of midgets battling knights is priceless!

Now guess that quote:
"And that, I think, was the handle: that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of old and evil. Not in any mean or military sense, we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum, we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high water mark: that place where the wave finaly broke and rolled back."

Let's decrypt this thread a bit. One thing that nags me a bit about this thread is that most movies are translated in most of the world, so the exact quotes are not portable. That's why I think I can write some quote in a language which is not English, so fell free to see if you know this one. Some time ago, I listened to a podcast from a British guy describing how this movie came about, and I could not stop laughing for some time. So if some British guys know about it, I feel it is international enough:

"Warum liegt denn hier Stroh 'rum?"
"Keine Ahnung. Warum hast Du eine Maske auf?"

Back