My problems with FreeBSD

Either it was my computer or they fixed enough problems for latest.

Here's what I did for packages. I made a file containing packages to be installed, pkglist.txt, containg:
Code:
llvm60
rust
svnup
portmaster
psearch
xorg-server
gtk2
gtk3
A lot in the lang category can be listed here. * edit - Rust requires curl, which there were option changes in src.conf for gssapi, curl must be built from ports, and rust may be excluded from this list.

pkg install `cat pkglist.txt`. Once this is installed, the command will be pkg upgrade `cat pkglist.txt`, or upgrade everything with portmaster afterwards.

This makes the portmaster build for xorg-drivers, xorg and other ports much quicker. So specific Radeon, Intel or input drivers can be built this way. Xorg-server installs Wayland dependencies, but hopefully it may soon replace other dependencies.

Then, use a list of ports to be built, with the category to run as portmaster `cat portlist.txt`

Last edited:
Also in the same boat as mariourk . I've been a FreeBSD user/administrator for 20+ years now. And, as many have pointed out in this thread, our problems are largely due to doing things the wrong way. I fully admit that. In my case, I had one specific package that I needed to build from ports because the binary didn't have an option enabled that I needed. I opted to use the pre-built packages for everything else. This server was setup a few years ago in and around the time where it wasn't clear or well-known that you shouldn't mix.

Either way, here I am today trying to update the installed packages and I'm pulling my hair out because there is some unrelated library that the new samba pkg is now choking on when starting up. My only recourse at this time is probably to rebuild the server. We are a small company where I wear several hats so I don't really have much time to be messing around with servers every time I run an update. On our CentOS box, I just run "yum update" and everything just works, nothings ever breaks - completely flawless. I fully realize that perhaps I'm no longer the right audience for FreeBSD but at the same time, acknowledging it's shortcomings when it comes to package management and making some improvements there could go a long way to keeping the OS relevant.

My 2 cents

<EDIT>
Fixed my samba issue so rebuild not needed

This server was setup a few years ago in and around the time where it wasn't clear or well-known that you shouldn't mix.

You can mix and match whatever you want (yes, absolutely), what you really should not do is testing the result of said mix-and-matching on a production server.

On our CentOS box, I just run "yum update" and everything just works, nothings ever breaks - completely flawless.

That's highly disingenuous, try building a custom RPM package and you will inevitably run into the same set of problems.

TRY TO work out your own custom /etc/make.conf where you state your custom options per needed package, then link it against /usr/local/etc/synth/LiveSystem-make.conf and stop using pre-built official binaries alltogether. Purely build your packages from source using synth, limited to what you need. Tends to work smoother than mix and match. Latter can cause no end of grief.

I've gone also the route of not using RELEASE's but STABLE branch and upgrading (svn) from source, using custom /etc/src.conf (excluding system components I don't need, quicker build times) when I notice some security problem. Much less hassle in all.

Back